Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Black Swan

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    i saw it last week and loved it, I went prepared for dark psychotic characters since requiem for a dream, still I closed my eyes in some scenes like the Ryder last one for example.

I think Aronofsky is a genious, since the π movie i have loved him, his direction is so fast and all this play with mirrors and mind games, he can transfer deep emotions into an image, when i left the cinema I didnt know what was real ad what not.

Portman and Kunis were amazin and I liked Vincent Cassel role a lot!

about portman doubles from wiki
    For certain scenes, American Ballet Theatre soloists Sarah Lane and Maria Riccetto were "dance doubles" for Portman and Kunis respectively.[12] At other times, Kimberly Prosa serves as the body double for Portman.[13] Aronofsky said during filming about Portman's ballet performance, "She was able to pull it off. Except for the wide shots when she has to be en pointe for a real long time, it's Natalie on screen. I haven't used her double a lot."

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Robert Altman did a ballet movie a few years back. It was more about backstage dancers showing there loneliness in a difficult form of showbiz. he used the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago.

So why do Figure Skating movies continually show the same story of competing and enjoying the company of male hockey players? I suppose nothing of interest happens to these young ladies outside of skating.
    There have been a few good ballet movies but have there EVER been any good movies about figure skating?

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    There have been a few good ballet movies but have there EVER been any good movies about figure skating?
    No.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    ^Heh. That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Yep. The whole thing is awesome. I really hope people check it out for the raging bravado of the ballet performance climax alone. That contains more emotional exhilaration than most movies do in their entirety.

And Natalie's line reading of "he picked me." breaks my heart in t'wain.
    They chose that scene when introducing Natalie as a nominee at the Oscars last night.

It's funny - with all the horror and the dancing the single most affecting scene was Natalie locked in a bathroom stall talking on a cell phone.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I thought it was a weird film. Not sure if Portman's performance deserved the Oscar. The young girl - Jennifer Lawrence - who was nominated from Winter's Bone did put in an Oscar worthy performance.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    when i left the cinema I didnt know what was real ad what not.
    I hope you do now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    I thought it was a weird film. Not sure if Portman's performance deserved the Oscar. The young girl - Jennifer Lawrence - who was nominated from Winter's Bone did put in an Oscar worthy performance.
    Lad, can you give us some reasoning of why you're saying this??? Can you give a side by side comparison of Portman & Lawrence's roles and why one did or didn't deserve the oscar?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Lad, can you give us some reasoning of why you're saying this??? Can you give a side by side comparison of Portman & Lawrence's roles and why one did or didn't deserve the oscar?
    I guess not, hmmm.

Custom Title
    Tuesday morning (the day it came out on Blue-Ray) it was available on Comcast on demand. I rented it- and watched it 4 times over the course of 24 hours! Still just love it. Winter's Bone is a very good movie and a GREAT book, imo- and Jennifer Lawrence was great- but I still would've given Natalie the Oscar. Different strokes, I guess. To me, Natalie has more of a transformation; but they are both great performances. I think 'The Black Swan' is a weird film, which is part of why I love it, I guess- I like weird- and I love that the film is many things, not easily put in a box.

Finally saw it!!! I think I may have to watch again; there was so much going on. I did like it. It took me a while to figure out what was going on with her body and ohhhhh the hangnail incident just made me shudder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2