Black Swan 2010 release | Golden Skate

Black Swan 2010 release

Johar

Medalist
I've seen it twice and liked it just as much the second time around. It was dark, intense, sexy and exhilirating.

SPOILERS
Obviously Kunis spending the night wasn't real but it was when they went clubbing. Was the taxi ride home real?

I really liked Portman's eye makeup as the Black Swan and wish I could duplicate it for Halloween this year. That's many months ahead, though.

The director of ballet in the movie was so homely. I felt sorry for Natalie Portman having to kiss him. He looks like a....scarecrow or something.

Barbara H. deserved an Oscar nod as the role of Portman's overbearing mother.

I assume Natalie Portman doesn't do Pointe, so a body double was probably used. I feel pain whenever they show closeups of their feet doing that.

Winona R. was the aging Prima Ballerina asked to leave because of her age. She barely looked 30!

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I read that Kunis and Portman both undertook extensive ballet training for 6 months before filming began. I doubt they did all the dancing, but they did some.

Johar

Medalist
They sure did do alot of training. Portman had to lose 20+ pounds to look like a ballet dancer. I barely recognized her in some scenes.

I have not yet seen the film. I will look to see if there is a connection between Odile and the principal ballerina.

I remember The Red Shoes many many years ago where the ballerina was hired to act as well as dance. Moira Shearer did both extremely well. She actually stayed with acting for several films after that, and gave up ballet. Her decision, and then turned to politics, you figure.

I did meet Portman's new husband, Benjamin Millepied in a group setting - a well appreciated dancer and becoming a good neo classic choreographer. I guess I'll be seeing Natalie at the NYC Ballet company in the theatre. I have a ticket for Millepied's new ballet on opening night.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:unsure:I haven't seen the film..and don't feel in a hurry to do so. I can definitely wait for it to be free on some movie channel.. I think there are quite often actresses about who are dancers...or dancers who can act..so, why go this route ? ( oh, I know it's NAME , and putting bums in seats..still..)
Portman did have a dancer body double ( I forget her name ,sorry ). Apparently, it's often her legs and feet you see...but Portman from the waist up.

I really dislike the eye make-up. Something like that would never be used in a theatre, unless they wanted the eyes to look like black blobs beyond the first row...

I'm sure I will watch it eventually , since Barbara Hershey seems to have had nothing but really good reviews , but if I want to see a really good film about dance, and the dance world's psychological pressures , manipulation, etc., etc., I'll still stick to The Red Shoes.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
This movie is insanely awesome.

As for why hire an actress who can't dance, I don't really think it's a worthwhile argument. Especially in this case. I can't believe any dancer who's dedicated her body and soul to dance could convey the breadth of emotions Natalie's asked to. This is basically Repulsion + The Red Shoes + David Cronenberg and the Dardennes.

ranjake

Final Flight
I agree- loved it SO much. I've actually been a little obsessed/scared/intrigued by the idea of the doppelganger since I was a kid- so for me that aspect was the cherry on top; but I really feel the whole thing was so well done. It's shot beautifully. I can't wait to see it again.

Johar

Medalist
I want to go for a 3rd time. Did you notice how child-like her bedroom was?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yep. The whole thing is awesome. I really hope people check it out for the raging bravado of the ballet performance climax alone. That contains more emotional exhilaration than most movies do in their entirety.

And Natalie's line reading of "he picked me." breaks my heart in t'wain.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yep. The whole thing is awesome. I really hope people check it out for the raging bravado of the ballet performance climax alone. That contains more emotional exhilaration than most movies do in their entirety.

I really want to see the movie...primarily for the dance. I can't seem to find the time though. I've heard good & bad reviews of it.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Its simply divine... I loved it, my husband loved it (I add that because my hubby's defintion of a "good" movie is car chases and bombs - he's a total boy!) ... it has something for everyone and I cannot tell you how many people have sent me into fits of giggles over the whole argument of Natalie's dancing vs. her dance double. Its a MOVIE!! And so deserving of all the praise... a total mind trip for adults...

Finally got to see it. I would warn mothers not to expect Swan Lake ballet but a backstage very low kind of rivalry, so do not let your 10 year old daughters see it.

For the more mature audience, it is an interesting concept between good and evil, lyric and bravado, not unlike the Swan Lake ballet.

Lisa Kunis should have been nominated for a supporting Oscar. She is the epitamy of evil.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Finally got to see it. I would warn mothers not to expect Swan Lake ballet but a backstage very low kind of rivalry, so do not let your 10 year old daughters see it.

Considering it's "R" rating, I would hope parents would know better than to take them anyway.

Layfan

Record Breaker
:unsure:I haven't seen the film..and don't feel in a hurry to do so. I can definitely wait for it to be free on some movie channel.. I think there are quite often actresses about who are dancers...or dancers who can act..so, why go this route ? ( oh, I know it's NAME , and putting bums in seats..still..)
Portman did have a dancer body double ( I forget her name ,sorry ). Apparently, it's often her legs and feet you see...but Portman from the waist up.

I really dislike the eye make-up. Something like that would never be used in a theatre, unless they wanted the eyes to look like black blobs beyond the first row...

I'm sure I will watch it eventually , since Barbara Hershey seems to have had nothing but really good reviews , but if I want to see a really good film about dance, and the dance world's psychological pressures , manipulation, etc., etc., I'll still stick to The Red Shoes.

I thought Natalie Portman studied ballet growing up. I think she was the perfect choice. Even if from the waist up you can tell she's knows what she's doing - even if she obviously isn't a prima ballerina and had to have a double.

The dancing is GREAT in the movie. It will not make you cringe, I promise you. And I think it would have a miserable to have cast a a mediocre actor for her ballet abilities. Natalie really gave a performance of a lifetime and you really couldn't pull off the movie with a lesser actress.

Oh yes. That scene is one of the best in he movies. She is devastating in it.

Last edited:
Robert Altman did a ballet movie a few years back. It was more about backstage dancers showing there loneliness in a difficult form of showbiz. he used the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago.

So why do Figure Skating movies continually show the same story of competing and enjoying the company of male hockey players? I suppose nothing of interest happens to these young ladies outside of skating.

seniorita

Record Breaker
i saw it last week and loved it, I went prepared for dark psychotic characters since requiem for a dream, still I closed my eyes in some scenes like the Ryder last one for example.

I think Aronofsky is a genious, since the π movie i have loved him, his direction is so fast and all this play with mirrors and mind games, he can transfer deep emotions into an image, when i left the cinema I didnt know what was real ad what not.

Portman and Kunis were amazin and I liked Vincent Cassel role a lot!

about portman doubles from wiki
For certain scenes, American Ballet Theatre soloists Sarah Lane and Maria Riccetto were "dance doubles" for Portman and Kunis respectively.[12] At other times, Kimberly Prosa serves as the body double for Portman.[13] Aronofsky said during filming about Portman's ballet performance, "She was able to pull it off. Except for the wide shots when she has to be en pointe for a real long time, it's Natalie on screen. I haven't used her double a lot."

Layfan

Record Breaker
Robert Altman did a ballet movie a few years back. It was more about backstage dancers showing there loneliness in a difficult form of showbiz. he used the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago.

So why do Figure Skating movies continually show the same story of competing and enjoying the company of male hockey players? I suppose nothing of interest happens to these young ladies outside of skating.

There have been a few good ballet movies but have there EVER been any good movies about figure skating?

Layfan

Record Breaker
^Heh. That's what I thought.

They chose that scene when introducing Natalie as a nominee at the Oscars last night. :thumbsup:

It's funny - with all the horror and the dancing the single most affecting scene was Natalie locked in a bathroom stall talking on a cell phone.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I thought it was a weird film. Not sure if Portman's performance deserved the Oscar. The young girl - Jennifer Lawrence - who was nominated from Winter's Bone did put in an Oscar worthy performance.