Hersh's View On What 2011 Worlds Means For US | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Hersh's View On What 2011 Worlds Means For US

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Evan couldn't have guaranteed a spot on his own either. The total for two men has to be 13 or less. However, Evan & Johnny together could probably have secured 3 spots again.

Furthermore, this year's rules aren't last year's rules. The anti-Lysacek rule, favoring men with quads and 3A's more than previously, is now in force.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Evan couldn't have guaranteed a spot on his own either. The total for two men has to be 13 or less. However, Evan & Johnny together could probably have secured 3 spots again.

Furthermore, this year's rules aren't last year's rules. The anti-Lysacek rule, favoring men with quads and 3A's more than previously, is now in force.

Well that would be just as much a problem for Johnny as Evan. Atleast Evan could try a quad, Johnny wouldnt be going anywhere near a quad. So if Evan was going to have a hard time placing than one has to wonder even more about Johnny's potential placing which at the very least one can be certain would be multiple placings below Evan. Only Abbott of the current U.S men is maybe capable of outplacing Evan on a great day (of course has been eons from having that in World competition to date).

Basically I dont think Johnny was anymore likely to have done at Worlds this year as Abbott (had he made it), Rippon (had he made it), or even neccessarily the quad able Bradley. The guy needed to skate his very best to come only 6th at the Olympics, what was he likely going to do in another World meet considering he would have a hard time duplicating those performances. The key to keeping 3 spots was Evan above all else, combined with any of a number of other reasonable skaters who could all place top 10.

Last edited:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I think Alissa is a favorite for a medal, as the GPF champion. It's not a sure thing, given her consistency issues, but all the other favorites have them too. She has already beaten several of the favorites, and nobody's seen YuNa yet, who I frankly think is overrated. Yes, she deserved that medal and she has a lovely quality, but I've seen her mess up many times, too. She's not like Evgeni or Alexei of the early 00's, who almost never made a mistake. You can't automatically assume she will skate exactly the way she did at the Olympics, though if she does, she will definitely win. Rachael has improved, and if she's relatively clean, she should do well enough to make the top 10, at least.

For the men? I would love to see Richard and Ross begin a new era of skating excellence, to replace Johnny and Evan.

We've had so many "future stars" seem to level off due to injuries or just hitting a plateau (Kimmie, McLaughlin/Brubaker, Stephen Carriere, Mirai/Rachael/Ashley seem to be heading that way, I fear), I am more worried about what will happen in the future with those boys than how they will do this year. I'd like to see 2 in the top 10 or 12, and worry about the 3rd spot next year.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
GS had a poll about who would be the US Men's Champion:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?32883-2011-US-Mens-Champion

One person voted for Ryan. One. It was probably either Toni or I. (I don't remember how I voted, and the poll doesn't show it. We were the only two in the thread speaking positively about Ryan's chances.

However, at least I was entertaining the possibility of a win by Ryan:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Mens-Champion&p=534060&viewfull=1#post534060
dorispulaski said:
Yes, but Abbott majorly bombing is not an unknown event in the history of skating.

And Bradley beat Rippon & Mroz last year at US Nationals, finishing, I think 2nd in the LP? (sadly 4th overall, AFAIR), plus he has from time to time medalled on the Grand Prix. He finished 3rd at Skate America in 2009/2010. He finished 2nd at Skate Canada in the 2008/2009 season, behind Chan, who had multiple falls/foulups.

Between higher values for quads, and the rumor that his 3A, which has been missing in action for quite a while, has returned, it wouldn't take that much for him to beat Abbott. The 3A has been key to his problems, because he digs himself in a hole in the SP for lack of it. He is not a Lambiel who can get high enough PCS to compensate for a 2A or 3A/fall.
12/7/2010 post.

So I would love for Ryan to finish in the top 6 at Worlds. Love it! :love: It's just barely possible if he skates the SP the way he did at Nationals and lands the 4T's in the LP better than he did at Nationals. I would have clairvoyant of the year's creds, for sure, but that's not the big thing! I'd love to see Ryan seeded in the GP next year. Heck, I'd just love to see Ryan skate some more, period. He makes me smile.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
GS had a poll about who would be the US Men's Champion:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?32883-2011-US-Mens-Champion

One person voted for Ryan. One. It was probably either Toni or I. (I don't remember how I voted, and the poll doesn't show it. We were the only two in the thread speaking positively about Ryan's chances.

However, at least I was entertaining the possibility of a win by Ryan:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Mens-Champion&p=534060&viewfull=1#post534060

12/7/2010 post.

So I would love for Ryan to finish in the top 6 at Worlds. Love it! :love: It's just barely possible if he skates the SP the way he did at Nationals and lands the 4T's in the LP better than he did at Nationals. I would have clairvoyant of the year's creds, for sure, but that's not the big thing! I'd love to see Ryan seeded in the GP next year. Heck, I'd just love to see Ryan skate some more, period. He makes me smile.

I might have because I felt bad that he didn't have any votes? :laugh: I don't remember either lol

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually there is a way to tell who you voted for. It's whatever name/option is italicised. I picked Jeremy. (So I guess my jinxing streak really has continued lol)... Guess you voted for Ryan, Doris?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I did! It's italicized! (I didn't believe it, but wanted him to have a vote, AFAIR, which is not much) :clap: :clap:

Thanks, Toni! I didn't know that. So therefore, vbulletin is storing everyone's vote.

There were no votes for "other", so no votes for Miner, or Dornbush, since they weren't called out in the poll. All votes were for Jeremy, Adam, Evan (if he skates), and Mroz.

:eek:.

Last edited: