Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Junior Grand Prix Final

Joe, Griazev is coached by Tarasova. At least officially. I've seen him being coach more by Alexei, though, lol. But Tarasova was out of town at the time, so... And no, Griazev wasn't second last year at JGP Final, but fourth (btw, he had won both JGP events he was at, just like he did this year).

Originally posted by Jaana
    I have to say that the writer (Kathleen Bangs) of this Yagudin article

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...&threadid=3472

looks rather stupid now...
    Well, I'll give you the credit for not saying it was Yagudin who's stupid, although I'm sure you had it on the tip of your tongue. Btw, it would've made more sense, too. It was Yags, who was so sure Andrei would win. I don't blame him for it, since I know that it has worked for him and other elite skaters just fine. But you can't make such affirmations for others; if they don't have it in them, it won't work.

Instead of promoting Yagudin, she should have written about an US skater, a skater who was definetely seen as a very strong contender. Evan was the second last year.
    OK, I'll ask my question here. Why should she have written about a US skater? Instead? Can't she do both? Or only one thing, for that matter? As for being a very strong contender, Griazev was one, too. If you look at the marks, it was a very close competition between those two. Had Griazev not singled his 3f in the SP, it could've easily gone the other way.

BTW, I wonder if choosing a famous skater for a coach is really such a good idea for a skater, mediawise, I mean? I personally think that a skater and her/his performances should get more media attention and a coach should be in the background. Having Yagudin as a coach might make matters very different though, LOL.
    Yep, I wish they talked more about him than Alexei, but it's inventible, I guess. As for the answer if choosing a famous skater for a coach is really such a good idea for a skater, media wise - IMO each case is different. In this one, personally I think Griazev's decision to go to Tarasova/Yagudin was brilliant. Both professionally, and media wise. What chances did he have while sitting on his [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color] in Perm?

Anyway, congratulations to Evan! Nice job. I only wish I could see the competition. As for Andrei, he has his jumps back, wheee! Òàê äåðæàòü!

Just to add about Griazev and coaches. Griazev left Mishin to train with team Tarasova. He lives at her house (in an interview, she said -- "he is too young to live on his own!"). It so happened that this summer, without major training, Yagudin chose to try his hand at coaching, and worked with Griazev. I am sure that if TT did not think he could do it, she wouldn't have given him the chance.

Windspirt - I guess I'm thinking of Juniors not the Jr GP. Lysacek was second to a Russian Skater who, imo, had more jumping power but not exceptional basics which Lysacek has.

Do you remember who was first? I hope we get to see Juniors on TV this yeaar. I enjoy watching the young ones trying to make it to the big time.

Joe

Custom Title
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by windspirit
    Well, I'll give you the credit for not saying it was Yagudin who's stupid, although I'm sure you had it on the tip of your tongue. Btw, it would've made more sense, too. It was Yags, who was so sure Andrei would win. I don't blame him for it, since I know that it has worked for him and other elite skaters just fine. But you can't make such affirmations for others; if they don't have it in them, it won't work.

LOL, actually I meant exactly what I said... It was Kathleen Bangs who selected to promote Yagudin by writing an article about Yagudin and his student, and not about Even Lycasek. The writer´s name sounds familiar to me, I think that she has been publishing Yagudin articles earlier too?

About Yagudin plus Griazev vs. Lycasek, I think it is not nice to ignore a skater of one´s own country and to promote the competitor´s coach and competitor. Especially as it was very possible that Lycasek will win this competition (or at least place very well).

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 12-15-2003 at 03:23 AM.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar

let's not get confused

Miki Ando was 3rd at last year's JGPF. Yukina Ota was 1st and Carolina Kostner was 2nd.

The winner of last year's JGPF and Junior Worlds was Alexander Schubin. Like Ota and Kostner, he has moved on to seniors this year.

Thanks BG - Alexander Shubin it is. Hope we get to see him this season. After Evgeni, I don't see any World podium contenders in Russian men. So maybe Shubin will fill the bill since Abt is not doing what we all would like him to do. And where oh where is my favorite Ilia Klimkin?

Joe

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar

Alexander

He made the final warm-up group at Lalique this year. He skated his LP with mistakes, but really took a beating in the scores, I'm not exactly sure why.

Custom Title

Re: let's not get confused

Originally posted by berthes ghost
    Miki Ando was 3rd at last year's JGPF. Yukina Ota was 1st and Carolina Kostner was 2nd.
    Hi berthes ghost,

Just wanted to add to your post, as concerns the wonderful Miki Ando. Since I keep stats on those skaters whom I find intriguing, as well as being personal favorites, wanted to share with y'all Miki's phenomenal record thus far in Juniors (as far as winning titles & setting records):

MIKI ANDO (JPN, 12/18/87, 160 cm.)

1st - 2001 JGPF (Bled, Slovenia, 12/01)
    1st - 2003 JGPF (Malmo, Sweden, 12/03)
    ***Note: has won the JGPF twice thus far - trying to find out if that is the most won by any one individual (so far, going back to 1999, it is).***

1st - 2001 Japan Jr. Nationals (11/01)
    1st - 2002 Japan Jr. Nationals (11/02)
    1st - 2003 Japan Jr. Nationals (11/03)
    ***Note: tied w/countrywoman, Shizuka Arakawa, with the most consecutive Jr. National Titles won by a Japanese woman ever.***

By the way, Miki has also won every JGP competition she has entered thus far ~ impeccable record. The only exceptions to that were at 2002 JGPF (placed 2nd) and at 2002 Jr. Worlds (3rd) & 2003 Jr. Worlds (2nd).

One more thing, Miki also became the 1st lady skater to land a quadruple jump - 4S - in international competition at the 2002 JGPF in The Hague, Netherlands (December 2002, age 14 yrs.).

***Note: Miki Ando & Midori Ito share a few things in common: both come from the land of the rising sun (aka Japan), Midori 1st woman to land a 3A in competition (Miki likewise as concerns the 4S), both born in Aichi, Japan, and both their names begin with the letter"M". Will think of more later.(;^)***

Peace & Love, Nadine

"Having a dream, I will go up into the sky" - M.F. Thomson
    MIKI ANDO - Fire Bird - Rise of the Phoenix!!!!

Originally posted by Joesitz
    And where oh where is my favorite Ilia Klimkin?
    Well, Ilia's coach did die just a few months ago. And it was the coach that really brough Ilia up as a skater from scratch. I am sure it was quite dramatic for Ilia to loose him.

He is now coached by Kudryavtsev (coach of Sokolova, former coach of Kulik, Butyrskaya, Volchkova). Kudriavtsev is an excellent coach, but my guess is that it will take them a while to adjust to one another.

Thanks Pitchka - I do miss Ilia Klimkin in this mix at the GP. Please keep us posted of the Russian Nats.

Joe

Custom Title
    Congratulations to Miki Ando

I was hoping Mai Asada

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood...ai/0212sp1.jpg

would medal, oh well better luck at jr world then.

Skating Freak Barbie
    ya know....if you have a very talented, up and coming junior competitor who is coached by the current Olympic champion, I think it is of interest to some people....it has not happened before, and there is some thoughts of how Yagudin's success will affect Griazev, whether it would "rub off" or such. Sure, maybe Lycesek is a fully worthy skater of recognition, and maybe now after winning here he will get more. But apparantly the writer felt that the other story was more interesting to a greater number of people. Whether she should be ridiculed or crucified for that is for each to choose.

Kasey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2