Sotnikova on track for Junior Worlds | Golden Skate

Sotnikova on track for Junior Worlds

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adelina Sotnikova is one of the Russian wunderkinder that the media and figure skating fans have been talking about ever since she won the ladies title at the 2009 Russian Figure Skating Championships at the tender age of 12.

More

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
She sounds like a determined young lady. Hope she feels better at Junior Worlds (she was too sick to attend Russian Junior Nationals) and lands everything. I really feel she could become one of the next great ladies skaters...someone to remember. I really like her skating and will be very sad, if something prevents her from reaching her potential.

If she wins Junior Worlds, does anyone know if she will do Senior Grand Prix next season? Given that there are so many talented Russian Junior girls and only max 14 spots on the JGP's, perhaps it would be better if she moved up to make more room.

Very talented young lady!! While we think of who will win in Sochi, Mao or Yun?, they will have strong competition for gold.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
If she wins Junior Worlds, does anyone know if she will do Senior Grand Prix next season? Given that there are so many talented Russian Junior girls and only max 14 spots on the JGP's, perhaps it would be better if she moved up to make more room.

I think so. Polina Shelepen will move seniors for sure and Liza and Adelina likely too. To stay in juniors for Adelina would be just a waste of time, she already won everything at the JGP and has one of the highest seasons best. Next year she and Liza won't be eligible for Euros and Worlds, so they will likely go to the Junior Worlds again.

Very nice article! I like this girl very much and really hope to see her in Sochi

gmyers

Record Breaker
Mao I am sure will be in Sochi Yu-Na I think is just doing a hurrah performance where she says Thanks to her fans and really doesn't compete again. I also think V/M are doing the same thing in Ice Dance. Adelina is great in many areas I just don't get the same verve from her like I do from Tuktamysheva. Maybe Sotnikova's prorgrams will be better next season. She obviously has all the tech and is impressive as already a national champion. Her 2009 win is less impressive than her 2011 win!!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These Russian girls in 2 years might be 3, 4 inches taller. And we all know what happens to most of these tiny girls when they get their growth spurt. That's why it's no use getting excited when a 13 year old pops up as the next great thing. Let's see where they are at 16.

SkateSkates

Medalist
These Russian girls in 2 years might be 3, 4 inches taller. And we all know what happens to most of these tiny girls when they get their growth spurt. That's why it's no use getting excited when a 13 year old pops up as the next great thing. Let's see where they are at 16.

Thank you! How do we know what will happen by 2014? We can't know. Maybe they will be great, maybe they won't, maybe there will be someone new. This is way too many years in advance to hype up someone who just entered the international scene, hasn't gone through puberty, and hasn't had to deal with the pressure of an entire country expecting them to deliver (Yuna, Mao). We should hold are tongues until they are on the Senior stage - by then we should know whether or not they will be contenders for Sochi.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Great juniors aren't going to be ignored just because there is growth ahead! I mean they could be Maos or Zhangs but right now they are great and it should not be assumed they wont be good. Obviously all great skaters survived growth spurts and puberty!!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
There's nothing wrong with getting excited for promising young skaters. Excitement is an emotion about possibilities. You don't get excited for things that are done deals, those you celebrate. Should skating fans be excited about Sotnikova's possibilities? Absolutely. She's already shown great skating skill, artistry and grace, and her current jumping abilities is certainly more promising than the vast majority of skaters at her age.

But it's not just about the future. So far this season, Adelina has proven herself to be the strongest skater in the women's field (seniors included) technically, with the highest tech marks internationally so far (and that's a tech mark missing a spiral in the FS). She has consistently landed two different 3/3 combos (3z/3t and 3z/3l) and a 2a/3t combo in competition this season. Even if she quit skating now she's going to go down as one of the strongest jumpers in the sport. Those are done deals that deserves to be celebrated.

To recap: Be excited for her future. Celebrate her current achievements. And if she makes it out of puberty with her jumps intact, celebrate some more!

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Very nice article, thanx :) and she has grown a lot, so I think she has passed the first problems of teenager well, last year her jumps were iffy but she came back even better! And when Yuna was in juniors people were talking about her, so I think Adelina she is safe.
Cant wait to see them in Gp next season, they will upset many ladies:laugh:

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I finally caved in a month or two ago to watch Elizaveta & Adelina, even though I'm against watching Juniors until they enter Seniors, but my curiousity got the better of me.

Elizaveta is still a baby, underdeveloped, so I'm ho hum on her. However, Adelina already appears to have gone through puberty, so she's the one that caught my attention. She's phenomenal technically, but artistically no one from the former Soviet Union has yet to touch Oksana Baiul, which is ironic since the Soviet Union has produced the greatest ballerinas in history. Yet their female skaters, except Oksana, have none of the balletic traits that Russia is famous for, it's too bad.

Still, this is a sport first & foremost (as it should be), so if all goes well she should contend for a World medal when she enters Seniors. And of course a Junior medal should be easy for her.

Heck, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Russian Sweep of ALL podiums at Sochi.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well, the Russian pairs ladies have had those traits in the past. I have found it strange that there haven't been more single ballerinas on ice coming from the former Soviet bloc. But now there's all of a sudden a whole bunch of Russian baby ballerinas. Adelina is certainly the best of them for now. She pretty much has everything going for her but at 14 she doesn't really perform yet. That certainly should change soon.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Well, the Russian pairs ladies have had those traits in the past. I have found it strange that there haven't been more single ballerinas on ice coming from the former Soviet bloc. But now there's all of a sudden a whole bunch of Russian baby ballerinas. Adelina is certainly the best of them for now. She pretty much has everything going for her but at 14 she doesn't really perform yet. That certainly should change soon.

In former Soviet best ladies usually went to pairs. And even later, for example, Tatiana Totmianina had all triples when she became pair skater. And they didn't compete both pairs and singles like some US girls do, so there is no surprise.

lavender

Record Breaker
You mean Yuna KIm? She won't be in Sochi most likely.

I was thinking the same thing.

I like Adelina even more because of her mindset. I like that she likes to compete. Makes me think of Michelle who liked that nervousness that comes with competing which I find amazing. I hated that feeling when I competed in various things.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the article, good read. Adelina is a a breath of fresh air. She is definitely a favorite for gold at Jr. Worlds.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally caved in a month or two ago to watch Elizaveta & Adelina, even though I'm against watching Juniors until they enter Seniors, but my curiousity got the better of me.

Elizaveta is still a baby, underdeveloped, so I'm ho hum on her. However, Adelina already appears to have gone through puberty, so she's the one that caught my attention. She's phenomenal technically, but artistically no one from the former Soviet Union has yet to touch Oksana Baiul, which is ironic since the Soviet Union has produced the greatest ballerinas in history. Yet their female skaters, except Oksana, have none of the balletic traits that Russia is famous for, it's too bad.

Still, this is a sport first & foremost (as it should be), so if all goes well she should contend for a World medal when she enters Seniors. And of course a Junior medal should be easy for her.

Heck, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Russian Sweep of ALL podiums at Sochi.

And just what great male Russian skater is going to beat Chan or the Japanese men at Sochi? Or in Ice dancing who's going to beat D&W or V&M? Or the Shibs or the other Canadian teams coming up? Sure the Russians could sweep if the corrupt judging that the Soviets were known for in both Summer and Winter Olympics still existed but with the COP scoring system in place they can't do that anymore. Also Adelina is still only 14 so she probably has a lot of growing to do yet. Look at Christina Gao she's still growing and she's now 16.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Or the Shibs or the other Canadian teams coming up?

Let me guess... Ilinykh/Katsalapov? ;)

Also Adelina is still only 14 so she probably has a lot of growing to do yet. Look at Christina Gao she's still growing and she's now 16.

So what? Growing up doesn't always mean losing the jumps. Not when you have solid technique. Look how high Adelina's jumps are and what a great basics she has. She is not like Caroline Zhang or Kimmie Meissner.

Russian team will be strong and hard to beat in Sochi, I'm pretty sure. In pairs, ice dance and ladies. Men is the only weak discipline

gmyers

Record Breaker
There's nothing wrong with getting excited for promising young skaters. Excitement is an emotion about possibilities. You don't get excited for things that are done deals, those you celebrate. Should skating fans be excited about Sotnikova's possibilities? Absolutely. She's already shown great skating skill, artistry and grace, and her current jumping abilities is certainly more promising than the vast majority of skaters at her age.

But it's not just about the future. So far this season, Adelina has proven herself to be the strongest skater in the women's field (seniors included) technically, with the highest tech marks internationally so far (and that's a tech mark missing a spiral in the FS). She has consistently landed two different 3/3 combos (3z/3t and 3z/3l) and a 2a/3t combo in competition this season. Even if she quit skating now she's going to go down as one of the strongest jumpers in the sport. Those are done deals that deserves to be celebrated.

To recap: Be excited for her future. Celebrate her current achievements. And if she makes it out of puberty with her jumps intact, celebrate some more!

This is well put and I agree with this.

I don't even want to get into Jammers if a Russian wins it is because of corruption statement!!!!

Dance in Sochi could be very boring if BOTH D/W and V&M go there. COuld be the same exact podium in top 2 as in Vancouver. I would not just automatically assume that the Bronze would go to the Shibs or a Canadian team! What are Canadians and Americans the only good ice dancers now? LOL!!! That is what I am getting from some people!

Pairs and Ladies are where Russia has the best potential as of right now! Ladies gold going to Russia for the first time in Russia would be nice and winning pairs again in Russia would also be nice. Dance and men there is less potential for gold but not NO potential!! There is a little potential!!