Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Coaches berating their skaters in Kiss N Cry

Coaches berating their skaters in Kiss N Cry

What's the worse you have seen? Frank Carol wasn't happy with Mirai the other night. I'm trying to think of more.

Not skating, but I remember gymnast Dominique Dawes being yelled at by her coach. He snapped, "You loused it up again!" at her then walked off, leaving her in tears.

Hmm...I don't remember Frank Carroll berating Mirai... what happened?

I recall Morozov fuming and storming away from Miki after one performance. Don't remember which competition it was, but Miki was left to walk off in the opposite direction. (Correct my memory as I'm not 100% on this, and I don't think it was in the Kiss N Cry.)

I think that sometimes silence can be just as hard on the skater as an over-blown tirade. Watching Adam Rippon and Brian Orser after Adam's disastrous short program at Nationals this year in complete silence in the Kiss & Cry was painful for me as a viewer. There was so much anguish on each of their faces and it seemed like Adam was dying for Brian to say something.

Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    I think that sometimes silence can be just as hard on the skater as an over-blown tirade. Watching Adam Rippon and Brian Orser after Adam's disastrous short program at Nationals this year in complete silence in the Kiss & Cry was painful for me as a viewer. There was so much anguish on each of their faces and it seemed like Adam was dying for Brian to say something.
    Where can I see this? I hear people referring to it but I can't find it on YouTube. :S

Custom Title
    Well, Orser told Adam as he came off the ice, "We will talk about this later." It was probably a good decision. There was no public berating. Nobody was happy so that was uncomfortable for some people to watch.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    I think that sometimes silence can be just as hard on the skater as an over-blown tirade.
    Could it be one of the reasons that Yuna ran away from Brian? Brian had done that twice this year to Adam in the kiss-and-cry. It came across as being emotionally abusive. Run, Adam, run.

Didn't someone on here see Sasha Cohen being yelled at by one of her coaches just after they left KNC?

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Frank testily told Mirai "you gave it away" as she came off the ice after her FS at the recent nationals.

Was I wrong to laugh when the stuffed animal hit him?

Custom Title
    Mirai's fans aimed very well.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Frank was not happy with Chris Bowman after Chris completely rechoreographed his LP in Halifax Worlds on the fly and pulled up to a bronze medal. (about the 5 minute mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q3LST_EkA0

Custom Title
    I read somewhere that a version of the incident on fsvids shows Mirai saying "I gave it away ..." when she comes off the ice, and, Frank responding "yeah, you gave it away. I'm sorry." If true, then IMO, it puts a whole different "spin" on the matter.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Frank was not happy with Chris Bowman after Chris completely rechoreographed his LP in Halifax Worlds on the fly and pulled up to a bronze medal. (about the 5 minute mark)

Whew. Chris was sooooooo lucky he hit that triple loop. I'd always heard about this episode but I had never seen it. I imagined it much worse. I thought Chris had improvised a lot more and that Frank had berated a lot more. Frank was clearly furious but he sort spent more time chewing his tongue and smiling wryly than berating.

There must have been other parts of the program that he made up as he went a long. From the commentary, it's only clear he threw in the last jump.

I don't remember the other examples cited above - Sasha or Miki.

Could it be one of the reasons that Yuna ran away from Brian? Brian had done that twice this year to Adam in the kiss-and-cry. It came across as being emotionally abusive. Run, Adam, run.

Maybe Brian Orser needs to master the art of the kiss and cry better when his skaters completely mess up but I doubt he means badly. I remember him being supportive of Yuna Kim when she messed up her world program. He said "you got through it." I doubt his manners with her in the kiss and cry had a thing to do with their break up. He always seemed awesome to her in the k&c.

Frank once talked about how awkward the k&c is. He said it was so hard to know what to say in front of the cameras after a skater messed up. And of course, he was open last year about how uncomfortable he was when Evan cried after his SP in Vancouver.

Skating didn't used to have a k&c. Now it's a tradition that makes for good television but it can be pretty cruel.

I read somewhere that a version of the incident on fsvids shows Mirai saying "I gave it away ..." when she comes off the ice, and, Frank responding "yeah, you gave it away. I'm sorry." If true, then IMO, it puts a whole different "spin" on the matter.
    Mirai seems to squeak something right before he said it but it's impossible to hear. I just watched it for the first time. (I was distracted watching it live) It wasn't THAT bad the way Frank said it. I had envisioned a much a harsher scene.

I did think it was hilarious when the stuffed lion hit him right after he said it though. Snerk.
    Last edited by Layfan; 02-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

LOL! If you look in the stands at about 5:20, you can see the same American flag people who were at Greensboro this year!!!

"It's a war out there."

I found that comment from Bowman amusing. What a talented skater. If only...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast