Is everyone obsessed with Adam Rippon... or is it just me? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is everyone obsessed with Adam Rippon... or is it just me?

I don't really get the hype either. I don't mind lyrical male skaters at all, Johnny Weir and John Curry are two of my all time faves, but Adam is almost one-dimensional, without either power or confidence. I'm always afraid he's going to start crying (esp since he's so inconsistent). Toughen up, man!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm not obsessed with him but I was impressed with his "comeback" LP at Nationals. I prefer skaters who can pull it together after making early mistakes.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I don't like to preach about the quad because I don't think it is necessary for everybody, but in this case I think Adam needs the quad. Not only will it amp up his technical score, but it will prove that he has the power and not just the grace. I think that will also signal a shift in his mindset that needs to happen before he can really compete with the Japanese men, and even the top men in the US.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m not obsessed with any skater, but count Rippon as one whose skating I enjoy to watch.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I just watched his Send in the Clowns program because it was mentioned above and I'm wondering whey every skater/team that skates to that music does a "clown" them. The song is not literally about clowns.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, Tonya Harding's LP, 1991, 2 minutes of which was to Send in the Clowns did not dress like a clown, nor did she do any clownish move. However she did a great 3Lp to the You in The Air line...

Just saying, not every skater...

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Good to know...I was thinking most recently of Adam and Savchenko/Szolkowy with this music. I'll have to see if I can find Tonya's program somewhere. A jump on "you in mid-air" is a very nice use of the music for choreography.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maybe Rippon can't rotate a quad. Even if you can fully rotate and fall that is 7.30 points. If you underrotate it is like 2 points. Unlike previous scoring you no longer risk a zero which made doing a quad pointless and stupid a lot of the time from the 2007-2010 seasons.

sigrid

On the Ice
Maybe Rippon can't rotate a quad. Even if you can fully rotate and fall that is 7.30 points. If you underrotate it is like 2 points. Unlike previous scoring you no longer risk a zero which made doing a quad pointless and stupid a lot of the time from the 2007-2010 seasons.

I remember reading (I don't know if it was Orser or Adam himself who said it) that the jump was still a little bit "cheated". I suppose they want to make sure that he can rotate it before adding it to his programs. Wise decision.

Orser said this right before nats
"We've been fussing with some of the spins but there's been no quad [toe] happening as yet," Orser said. "We practice it every day but it's not ready to be inserted into the program. He's been skating clean longs and clean shorts, and that's really what he has to do here.

"Certainly the quad is a nice addition to a great program, but you have to have the other 11 elements, too. Two triple Axels in the free, that's a lot of points, especially with all the work David [Wilson] has done. Trust me, if we had a quad going on I would be the first one on my soapbox."

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I don't really get the hype either. I don't mind lyrical male skaters at all, Johnny Weir and John Curry are two of my all time faves, but Adam is almost one-dimensional, without either power or confidence....

Agree--one dimensionality is a good way to put it, there's just something missing from the equation right now. I like his skating generally, but lost a bit of interest in him this year--not sure if it's his program vehicles or what. He has a long way to go on the lyrical/artistic scale before he's even close to a John Curry (one of my all time favorites). Though in all fairness, Curry is a nearly impossible standard for anyone to meet. I don't think Rippon, even with quad or 3A's blazing away, will ever be styled a "power" skater, though he's going to need some more reliable tech firepower to stay up there.