The best triple axels, 3A jumpers, and some other random stats. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The best triple axels, 3A jumpers, and some other random stats.

bibi24

Final Flight
Kurt also named Joseph Sevacek(sp?) as the best jumper, still doing all the difficult triples at 46 years of age. Does anybody here know who he is and the right name?

Jozef Sabovčík had a monstrous triple axel, and that's in proportion to his relatively tall height (he's 5'9", compared to Midori Ito's 4'9"). Given how relatively tall he is for a skater, Jozef's 3axel, where his skates seemed at least clear what would be his waist-level height if he was still on the ice, must've put dents in the roof. See an example here.

I got a chance to see Jozef in the 90's when he was on tour with Elvis in Canada, great skater indeed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
eta that Kurt also named Joseph Sevacek(sp?) as the best jumper, still doing all the difficult triples at 46 years of age. Does anybody here know who he is and the right name?

1984 Olympic Bronze Medalist. Known as "Jumpin' Joe" it's argued he should have been teh man with the "first quad" though he two footed his attempt (Boitano also had one, but fell on it in competition, hence Kurt's the owner). He's teh dude with the long blonde hair and dark eyes in all of the Disson Shows.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
He was formerly married to Tracey Wainman (former ladies champion of Canada in 1981 & 1986). They have a son, Blade Sabovcik (no kidding, that is the kid's given name).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks for the Jumpin' Joe info. The world was a blur for me in 1984 and subsequent years of the 80's. I even missed Kurt's historic quad and "the" Bolero. No, no drugs of any kind were involved. :disapp: Just life.

One of the great advantages of this forum and of YouTube (or, as I call it, YouTube University) is that one gets the chance to revise one's view of skaters and to understand why certain skaters are or were so great. In the early 1990s I was a Kristi fan, so I didn't really value Midori as much as I should have. I confess I was a bit afraid that ladies' skating was going to turn into a jump contest, and loving music as I did, I did not like that possibility. What I didn't realize at the time was that it wasn't possible for most other ladies to approach Midori's level of jump excellence. She was a true phenomenon who has not been surpassed to this day. Even Mao Asada, whose triple axel ability is so marvelous, doesn't have a jump with the beauty and sheer altitude of Midori's. I look at Ito's skating now and wonder where my eyes were in 1992. Fortunately, one can always change!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Haven't read this entire thread, but wanted to add Mao Asada's 3axel in the FS at 2011 4CC! :thumbsup:

That one ties with the one she did at 4CC in 2008, which I recalled distinctly commentator Susie Wynne saying "that's just as good as the men!". And she was right on with her remark, I've watched that tape over & over again ad infinitum because it was unreal, fully rotated with 1/8th turn on the ice per needed. So that one remains my all-time favorite, definitely deserving of +4 GOE all the way across the boards imho.

That said, her most recent one at 4CC in 2011 was equally impressive, though with 1/4 turn, thus I would give it +2 GOE across the board.

Those two are my all-time favorites from Mao, as her other ones are usually 1/3 turn on the ice, not 1/2, but neither 1/4 either.

I wonder what it is about 4CC that makes the best come out of her, lol! :D Whatever it is, I hope it continues, mayhap working with Mr. Sato is finally paying off in her skating, though she still needs to work on some minor UR in some of her other jumps, but one thing at a time. :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
p.s. imho when on, I mean really on, like here at 4CC, Mao's 3axels are equal to Tonya's & Midori's, just in a different way. Where the latter achieve power, height, distance, et al (no leg wrap in Tonya's case btw), Mao achieves sheer balletic beauty without effort. She makes it look easy, light, like a fairy dancing on ice. Exquisite. I love all three ~ Tonya, Midori, Mao ~ the true 3axel gals! :agree:

prettykeys

Medalist
Height vs. Distance

Between height vs. distance of a 3Axel, I admit I prefer those that have a more impressive distance. I loooove 3A's that just sail across the air; added height is a bonus, though.

Ilia Kulik and Alexei Yagudin thus top my list of favourite 3Axels.

I can't decide whether I like Midori Ito's or Mao Asada's better. I love the power and height of Midori's, but the leg is a huge detraction for me, whereas Mao has better form in the air. If there was a way to combine the two, it would be spectacular.

miki88

Medalist
It wasn't just her 3A. All of Midori's jumps were simply amazing. Usually, I find leg wraps distracting but it was a non-issue in her case. ;)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Just look at it this way: her jumps are so powerful that if she doesn't slightly wrap her leg, the rotation would become too tight and she'd always over-rotate!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Wasn't BoP predicting a while back with the new underrotation rule, Mao Asada's 3A would never be ratified again?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It wasn't the rule really, but rather I thought re-working her jump technique and having already achieved the "Triple Axel Queen" title would dampen her 3Axel technique for good. Mighty Mao is just that mighty and decided to declare my prediction wrong.

ALTHOUGH, she hasn't actually gotten a 2Axel-3Toe ratified yet this year, her Lutz still gets an edge call, and her Salchow isn't consistent...so perhaps she is still focusing intently on the 3Axel and slowly trying to improve the rest at the same time.

Her jumps were really at their best in 2008 when she worked with Arutunian. It's too bad that coaching situation didn't work out...it's put her back so far. He had already fixed her 3Toe-in-combination technique and then she lost it after going to Tarasova...

hurrah

Medalist
It wasn't the rule really, but rather I thought re-working her jump technique and having already achieved the "Triple Axel Queen" title would dampen her 3Axel technique for good. Mighty Mao is just that mighty and decided to declare my prediction wrong.

ALTHOUGH, she hasn't actually gotten a 2Axel-3Toe ratified yet this year, her Lutz still gets an edge call, and her Salchow isn't consistent...so perhaps she is still focusing intently on the 3Axel and slowly trying to improve the rest at the same time.

Her jumps were really at their best in 2008 when she worked with Arutunian. It's too bad that coaching situation didn't work out...it's put her back so far. He had already fixed her 3Toe-in-combination technique and then she lost it after going to Tarasova...

If only Arutunian had been willing to teach Mao the correct technique for the flip and lutz when he had the chance.

jcoates

Medalist
Ilia Kulik had the textbook 3A according to Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, and Brian Boitano; Todd Elderedge was even intimidated by Ilia at times. 3A on the floor.

I would say Alexei Yagudin had the biggest 3A, he finishes rotating and opens up well before landing. Quadruple Axel rumor?

Alexei Urmanov actually broke his leg practicing a quad axel in the the early nineties. Not surprised people have stopped trying it. There's got to be so much torque and force built up in that jump that most people would be prone to injury.

BTW, Here is an honorable mention for best 3A. It's not an official one because it was not done in competition, but it was done 20 YEARS before the first official one was landed.

I love that Ilia has such textbook jumps. Does anyone know, is that from his early training with Mishin? (He was a Mishin skater, right?) Urmanov had some lovely jumps too. What about Petrenko? I remember looking back at his Olympic long program recently and finding it very impressive. At the time, I found him less engaging than Wylie, and I was rooting for Paul so fervently that I was almost afraid to watch Petrenko. Thank goodness I've gone back and (as with Midori) re-evaluated.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Haven't read this entire thread, but wanted to add Mao Asada's 3axel in the FS at 2011 4CC! :thumbsup:

That one ties with the one she did at 4CC in 2008, which I recalled distinctly commentator Susie Wynne saying "that's just as good as the men!". And she was right on with her remark, I've watched that tape over & over again ad infinitum because it was unreal, fully rotated with 1/8th turn on the ice per needed. So that one remains my all-time favorite, definitely deserving of +4 GOE all the way across the boards imho.

That said, her most recent one at 4CC in 2011 was equally impressive, though with 1/4 turn, thus I would give it +2 GOE across the board.

Those two are my all-time favorites from Mao, as her other ones are usually 1/3 turn on the ice, not 1/2, but neither 1/4 either.

I wonder what it is about 4CC that makes the best come out of her, lol! :D Whatever it is, I hope it continues, mayhap working with Mr. Sato is finally paying off in her skating, though she still needs to work on some minor UR in some of her other jumps, but one thing at a time. :)

ADDENDUM:

Actually Mao's 3axel during her FS at 2008 4CC didn't even have a turn on the ice at all! :eek: :thumbsup: It was completely fully rotated without even a smidgen left on the ice (though close-up may reveal a sliver like 1/16th, but I don't think so). This is why it remains my all-time favorite 3axel from her, see here (slo-mo starts at 4:50): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-sHFceaGEY

In comparison, here's her most recent 3axel during her FS at 2011 4CC, with just a 1/4 turn on the ice, therefore it ranks as my second favorite, lol (slo-mo starts at 6:05): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odwF93kHrzc

Btw, jcoates, thanks so much for that honorable mention triple axel by the 1960 Mens Olympic Gold Medalist in Singles ~ David Jenkins ~ HUGE height & phenomenal power, just a 1/2 turn cheat on the takeoff, but WOW, he was way ahead of his time!

And I'd have to say the same thing for Douglas Ramsay, the young 16 yr. old that came in 4th at the 1961 US Nationals, and whom was unfortunately killed in that plane crash. I recall the old footage they showed in the movie "RISE" wherein Ron Ludington, et al, talked about how Doug was a master when it came to the 2axel ~ he could do it with his hands in his pockets, his hands over his head (ala shades of Adam Rippon & the 3lutz, lol), or any other which way ~ all of which was proven in the old footage. The DELAY he had on that 2axel was simply exquisite, like butter, way before his time. When we talk about delay, Douglas Ramsay needs to be included on that list imho. :)

jcoates

Medalist
I love that Ilia has such textbook jumps. Does anyone know, is that from his early training with Mishin? (He was a Mishin skater, right?) Urmanov had some lovely jumps too. What about Petrenko? I remember looking back at his Olympic long program recently and finding it very impressive. At the time, I found him less engaging than Wylie, and I was rooting for Paul so fervently that I was almost afraid to watch Petrenko. Thank goodness I've gone back and (as with Midori) re-evaluated.

Kulik wasn't coached by Mishin. Viktor Kudriavtsev coached him before Tarasova did during his last two eligible seasons. Mishin coached Umanov, Yagudin and Plushenko. Of course Umanov left Mishin after the 98 season for Tarasova as well. Easy to get all this mixed up with all the coach swapping going on. I had to verify that I was correct before posting. :)

Kudriavtsev did teach excellent jump technique however. Another example was Viktoria Volchkova's sky high triple lutz.