Stolbova and Klimov: A promising pair | Golden Skate

Stolbova and Klimov: A promising pair

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It appears that Russian pair skating is returning to it's former glory with many talented and new pairs. One pair to watch out for are Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov. The team from St. Petersburg competes in their final junior year this season.

More

smia

Rinkside
I didn't care for Stolbova/Klimov their first season together and thought their costumes were really terrible. But I've grown to really like them this season. Their programs are well choreographed, I especially enjoyed their short. It's a shame they haven't performed the long program up to its potential. They need to develop more stretch and extension, and of course a triple twist. Their unison is quite good after only two years together.
It's going to be really hard for them to break through given the depth in Russian pairs but I hope they don't get discouraged.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Nice article, as always, GS. :)

Unfortunately, none of the Russian pairs have moved me since G&G, and that hasn't changed, not even with this pair.

And they're not the only ones, I honestly haven't really enjoyed pairs skating since Sarah Abitbol & Stephane Bernadis almost 10 years ago. :( I can't even be bothered to watch the pairs this past Olympics either, nor ice dance for that matter, still haven't watched either. I may enjoy a performance here or there, but no one has truly captured my heart in the way my all-time faves in any discipline have, when that happens I'll pay to go see them, buy their books, tape everything, buy anything, post ad infinitum about them, et al.

Still, that all might be changing when it comes to pairs, as Donlan & Speroff caught my attention this past September, thus I followed them all the way up to Nationals via the web (Thank God for IN, as regular t.v. wouldn't have shown them). The same goes for Marley & Brubaker, whom blew me away on my first viewing of them as a pair at US Nationals! I'm actually thrilled about pair skating. In fact if either one of these pair teams' had been skating at this past year's Skate America, I would've gotten tickets to see them as well. So HAPPY America finally has a couple of pair teams I *really* enjoy! :thumbsup:

p.s. and I'm still waiting for Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates to come back blazing next season, their unfortunate absence made me really dislike ice dance this season, but I have to admit I did enjoy watching the new brother & sister pair team of the Shibs at Skate America, purely by accident mind you, as I showed up to watch the Mens & Ladies respective FSs only, but in the process was surprised & delighted to be treated to their "Smile" program. :)

Back to Russian pair skating, here's wishing them well! *raises perrier up to the sky!* :)^D

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think a lot depends on whether or not K/S do not go to Sochi. Like maybe if they fall off the European podium before Sochi they stop. So then you would have V/T and then B/L being the top 2 and you could see a fight between S/K, G/E and I/M. S/K do need that triple twist. If they don't get it soon they are a 2018 team but I aiming for 2014 makes them more interesting to me!

I also like there double axels in different directions ending.