Thread: Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson!

Hybrid View

Rinkside

Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson!

I'm so excited! Patrick Chan and Don Jackson are skating in the Oshawa Skating Club carnival on April 7th! The posters are up in the rink! Yay!!!!

Custom Title
    Fantastic! Here a great article from a couple of years ago about Patrick and Don. Apparently, Don Jackson was Patrick's learn-to-skate instructor at the Minto Club in Ottawa when Patrick was just beginning. What an honour to have Don teach you at that age! Don knew Osborne Colson well, too, and has shared memories of him with Patrick. It's inspiring to see these two together.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...article/688411

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily View Post
    Fantastic! Here a great article from a couple of years ago about Patrick and Don. Apparently, Don Jackson was Patrick's learn-to-skate instructor at the Minto Club in Ottawa when Patrick was just beginning. What an honour to have Don teach you at that age! Don knew Osborne Colson well, too, and has shared memories of him with Patrick. It's inspiring to see these two together.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...article/688411
    Thanks for posting that callalily. What a nice article.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensque View Post
    Thanks for posting that callalily. What a nice article.
    It is a great connection. Here is the correct info for the show:
    Saturday April 2nd, 2011 at the GM Centre in Oshawa (just east of Toronto)
    April 2nd is also Don Jackson's birthday!

Rinkside
    Oh thanks I was so excited I made a typo!

Custom Title
    Taking the opportunity to link one of my favorite videos. No Jackson, but 4 Canadian greats, 3 of earlier generations and one future, in the same rink.

2002 Kurt Browning's Ice Legends: Osborne Colson

eta: while I'm at it, here's one not on YT about Patrick's training. Show it to those who think figure skating is for sissy men.

Patrick Chan likes to mix it up in the gym
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 02-14-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Medalist
    Thanks!
    A lovely article.

I wish I could see that show.
    I envy all who can.

Custom Title
    There are more pics from the show on Patrick's website. Love their smiles!

I've found it interesting that Patrick posted pics of Brian, Tomas, and Kiira from Festa On Ice on his site, without himself in them. Obviously they are his friends.

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    We were able to go. It was a great show; Don Jackson is an incredible showman and a joy to watch. The pictures that are uploaded are quite reflective of the very warm and respectful relationship that the two men have.

It was also wonderful to see an old-fashioned skating show: everything from tiny kids who are still tottering to make it a few steps, up to the senior skaters in the club; everyone seemed to be having a great time - smiles on all of the kids faces. The crowd were all thoroughly enjoying themselves - and sang Happy Birthday to Mr. Jackson, too.

Patrick even stayed after the show, with Mr. Jackson, to do a meet and greet with the audience. Given that he had flown in on Friday, done a skate with the club skaters, a pizza party and autograph session - two TV interviews - and a practice skating session, plus a full ice show - he certainly could have chosen to simply leave, but instead he hung around to spend more time with his fans. Mr Jackson's stamina also has to be commended: I hope that I've that much energy and enthusiasm (and sheer tenacity) at his age.