Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson!

Rinkside

Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson!

I'm so excited! Patrick Chan and Don Jackson are skating in the Oshawa Skating Club carnival on April 7th! The posters are up in the rink! Yay!!!!

Custom Title
    Fantastic! Here a great article from a couple of years ago about Patrick and Don. Apparently, Don Jackson was Patrick's learn-to-skate instructor at the Minto Club in Ottawa when Patrick was just beginning. What an honour to have Don teach you at that age! Don knew Osborne Colson well, too, and has shared memories of him with Patrick. It's inspiring to see these two together.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...article/688411

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily View Post
    Fantastic! Here a great article from a couple of years ago about Patrick and Don. Apparently, Don Jackson was Patrick's learn-to-skate instructor at the Minto Club in Ottawa when Patrick was just beginning. What an honour to have Don teach you at that age! Don knew Osborne Colson well, too, and has shared memories of him with Patrick. It's inspiring to see these two together.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...article/688411
    Thanks for posting that callalily. What a nice article.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensque View Post
    Thanks for posting that callalily. What a nice article.
    It is a great connection. Here is the correct info for the show:
    Saturday April 2nd, 2011 at the GM Centre in Oshawa (just east of Toronto)
    April 2nd is also Don Jackson's birthday!

Rinkside
    Oh thanks I was so excited I made a typo!

Custom Title
    Taking the opportunity to link one of my favorite videos. No Jackson, but 4 Canadian greats, 3 of earlier generations and one future, in the same rink.

2002 Kurt Browning's Ice Legends: Osborne Colson

eta: while I'm at it, here's one not on YT about Patrick's training. Show it to those who think figure skating is for sissy men.

Patrick Chan likes to mix it up in the gym
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 02-14-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    It's a good facility to watch in too; it's not huge, the seats all have good sight lines ... and I'll bet it's less than paying for any of the various Stars or Celebration on Ice type things!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Taking the opportunity to link one of my favorite videos. No Jackson, but 4 Canadian greats, 3 of earlier generations and one future, in the same rink.

2002 Kurt Browning's Ice Legends: Osborne Colson
    What a wonderful video! And isn't it sweet the way Kurt prods Patrick to show good manners and thank "Mr. Colson."

Besides the great early view of Patrick, and the wonderful glimpse at Colson, this video reminds me of why I'll never take Kurt Browning off the top of my skating life list.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    What a wonderful video! And isn't it sweet the way Kurt prods Patrick to show good manners and thank "Mr. Colson."

Besides the great early view of Patrick, and the wonderful glimpse at Colson, this video reminds me of why I'll never take Kurt Browning off the top of my skating life list.
    i love kurt too and always will, but it's brian orser who prodded patrick to thank mr. colson! fantastic video. so proud of canadian men's fs! long may brian, kurt and patrick thrive!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
    i love kurt too and always will, but it's brian orser who prodded patrick to thank mr. colson! fantastic video. so proud of canadian men's fs! long may brian, kurt and patrick thrive!
    Ooh, thanks, Purple. My bad; I looked too quickly. I stand corrected. >blush<

Orser is also a splendid bright light in skating. I echo with you in your wish that all four of these great skating guys should thrive for many long years to come.

Custom Title
    Since some of you enjoyed the 2002 video, here's Kurt And Patty Show 2010, a hilarious bromance, if you haven't seen it last summer.

Custom Title
    2002 Kurt Browning's Ice Legends also featured segments on Don Jackson and Toller Cranston as well as Mr. C.
    There was a fourth person too which was probably Brian Orser. It was an amazing show.

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    $20 for an adult to see Chan AND Jackson? I wish all skating shows were that affordable, I would be able to go see them with way less pain in the pocketbook ...

At first I thought this said Ottawa, and then I was sad when I realized it did not. lol.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Since some of you enjoyed the 2002 video, here's Kurt And Patty Show 2010, a hilarious bromance, if you haven't seen it last summer.
    thanks so much skatefiguring for posting! i had only ever seen the "trailer" which was pretty hilarious -- but the chat was so informative and so much fun. love their chemistry together. kurt is just such a charmer and patty plays right off that energy! thanks again!

although now that i finished watching the whole thing i felt slightly uneasy about kurt's "dig" at johnny weir ("we'll leave the bielman spins to him"). i mean, i sometimes think johnny is paranoid about ppl's attitudes towards his femininity, but maybe he's not so paranoid afterall. am i over-reacting?
    Last edited by purplegirl; 02-20-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast