Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
    thanks so much skatefiguring for posting! i had only ever seen the "trailer" which was pretty hilarious -- but the chat was so informative and so much fun. love their chemistry together. kurt is just such a charmer and patty plays right off that energy! thanks again!
    With all their goofing, don't you think they are two romantics, from Kurt's answering the question on what he'd bring to a deserted island? He was searching for the reasons why he'd bring his wife, and Patrick was drinking his water while making the "duh" expressions, with Kurt finally just said, "Well, she's my wife." Duh, indeed.

And you see where the teasing of Kurt's hair came from for the gala schtick.

Custom Title
    I enjoyed watching what I had time for, but I didn't reach the part about Johnny Weir. I hope Kurt didn't mean anything by it. I adore Kurt, but he does put his foot in it sometimes. On the other hand, Plushy does a Bielmann spin, doesn't he? So maybe Kurt wasn't equating a Bielmann with androgyny... I hope!

Custom Title
    This video is a half hour of live uncensored spontaneous fun and insights, Yet it seems many viewers tend to zero into the few seconds of comments on Bielmann spin and the two guys get criticisms of a range of severity. Few can be politically correct 100% of the time. Kurt always clowns around to get laughs and Patrick sometimes gets uptight and yields to peer pressure but they are both jolly nice guys with close gay friends and no malice. I just can't read too much into those few words, especially after the hilarious reactions and discussion about the spin. I think they were in awe of men who could do it. I think of their friend Shawn Swayer and am sure they don't hold him in any contempt.

Kurt was probably the funniest grown-up Little Patrick ever met and he still constantly cracks up young man Patrick!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Kurt just said "we'll leave that to Johnny Weir" sort of off hand.

Patrick said he could not do a Bielmann spin "I wish" then he said "no actually I don't wish. You sort or lose respect among the men."

Patrick - I love your skating. But you need to learn something about respect.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    This video is a half hour of live uncensored spontaneous fun and insights, Yet it seems many viewers tend to zero into the few seconds of comments on Bielmann spin and the two guys get criticisms of a range of severity. Few can be politically correct 100% of the time. Kurt always clowns around to get laughs and Patrick sometimes gets uptight and yields to peer pressure but they are both jolly nice guys with close gay friends and no malice.
    I would tend to agree with you on this front i.e. I can't really see Kurt being intentionally hurtful. I didn't realize other people have criticized that comment ... Had that really been a subject of discussion? I guess everything around Johnny is kinda intensified. Sometimes it's really hard to tell what's real (and judging by the Montreal DJ's mockery during the Olympics, real malice exists) and what's Johnny's self-created drama (which also exists). At any rate, I certainly didn't mean to contribute to making mountains out of molehills! It really was a fun video - no arguments about that!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Ha! I love when Kurt complains that he doesn't like Mother Nature because she took his hair and Patrick is all, Dude, she sort of blessed you with other talents, I woudn't be dissing Mother Nature, if I were you. Teehee.

Heh. Also love at the end when they get asked who they're favorite female skater is and they were all, er.. yeah, not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

Funny vid. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Layfan; 02-20-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Rinkside
    Amen! I'm going to the show in Oshawa for sure.

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    So, anyways. Quite the thread drift ... maybe this needs to be split into two parts: debates over whether Patrick and Kurt made an inappropriate comment, and excitement over Patrick and Don Jackson skating together. Perhaps the Kurt & Patty show references could be seperated ... and, in the meantime, does anyone know where we can get tickets to see the on-ice performance of these two gentlemen in April?????? My kids want to go ... including my son the figure skater - he's been on the ice in the past with Patrick, and we've always found him to be a genuinely nice guy who really enjoys skating - !

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnSkateWatcher View Post
    So, anyways. Quite the thread drift ...
    Yes. Back to more relevant discussion.......

My kids want to go ... including my son the figure skater - he's been on the ice in the past with Patrick, and we've always found him to be a genuinely nice guy who really enjoys skating - !
    Do tell us more about your and your son's encounter with Patrick.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I moved the posts, as many of them as I could locate, on the subject of homophobia and bullying to the Politics forum, because the thread drift is far too severe.

If you want to continue to discuss that, please go

here.

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Yes. Back to more relevant discussion.......

Do tell us more about your and your son's encounter with Patrick.
    There have been a few, because Patrick does skate locally, and did for many years; we're in the GTA area. The one that "sticks" most in my mind was several years ago; my little guy was indeed still little, and we were fairly new to the sport. He was on an open ice session (figure skaters of all levels) and my then little guy was practicing his singles. There was this teenager on the ice that we didn't recognize that was landing these huge jumps; needless to say, my little guy got in his way and then froze in terror. Instead of getting yelled at or made to feel uncomfortable, he got a big smile, and "hey, you're looking good - keep working!" - and then several later encouraging smiles and thumbs up. It was Patrick, of course - even back then there was this joy in his skating that really fired my little guy up to want to "do what THAT guy does". I always remember that as a great example of being a positive influence for skaters ...

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Since some of you enjoyed the 2002 video, here's Kurt And Patty Show 2010, a hilarious bromance, if you haven't seen it last summer.
    No wonder people have said they are creeped out by Patrick Chan's eyes. His left eye does not move upward!

EDIT: Err, I mean his right eye. Left from our camera perspective.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 02-22-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Few can be politically correct 100% of the time.
    Can we please stop abusing the word "politically incorrect"? Or even trying to force this into a political issue and thus has to be segregated to another forum (this includes Dorispulaski and other forum mods). Kurt and Patrick are talking about the Biellmann, which is a purely figure skating topic that means nothing to politics or the vast majority of society. If we can't talk about their hateration of the Biellmann in a figure skating forum, where can we talk about it? And it's not politically incorrect when they're just plain incorrect. The fact is, Johnny Weir doesn't do the Biellmann and never attempted one. And no male skater who does the Biellman is disrespected, or should be.

I for one would like to see male skaters expand their moves and incorporate more moves traditionally done by females. This includes Biellmanns, spirals on one foot, layback spins and more. I don't think Browning and Chan has but the tiniest impact on whether gay kids are bullied and all that, especially when they're talking about something as specialized to figure skating as the Biellmann. I do think Kurt Browning, especially, is a respected figure in the sport, and Patrick Chan's (who is emerging as the great male skater of his generation) close mindedness may discourage other male skaters from exploring new movements.

And Patrick's close mindedness and ridiculous worry about losing respect over a flexibility move may explain his own style. While Patrick remains my favorite currently competing male skater, I find his movement a bit stiff. Not every move has to be completely upright, and the hips don't have to stay completely in line all the time. Being more comfortable and secure about movement may help Patrick loosen up.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Hey, all I did was split the topic in the hopes that discussions of bullying were in Politics and discussions of skating were in the Edge. And inquire whether JW ever did a Biellman, which I was fairly sure he had not.

We can talk about men's Biellman's here in The Edge. Just politics & Social Commentary belongs in Politics. I would like to see Kurt or Patrick go on about the Biellmann being a girlie man stunt in front of Plush, who did Biellmann spins and Biellman spirals for years. OTOH, JW never did one because he is not flexible enough-something that is also true of Michelle Kwan and Rachael Flatt.

I like Rohene Ward's Charlotte and layback, and the skills of Jason Brown and Sawyer, for that matter. However, there are very few Biellmannesque spins that I have truly loved.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    I for one would like to see male skaters expand their moves and incorporate more moves traditionally done by females. This includes Biellmanns, spirals on one foot, layback spins and more.
    Right, and making this sport shrink even faster than it does. Making men not look like men and ladies not look like ladies. Thankfully, your wish won't happen anytime soon.

Doris, you did the right thing!
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 02-22-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast