Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick twitted:

Skating April 2, 7pm, at GM Centre in Oshawa with Don Jackson and Oshawa Skating Club to raise money for Japan Earthquake relief. Join me!

The event may be repurposed. I wonder if it will be reformated, with more Canadian skaters participating.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
As of March 27, 2011, Patrick Chan has committed to
donate his skating fees to the Canadian Red Cross
Japan Earthquake/Asia-Pacific Tsunami Fund
and to the Oshawa Skating Club Scholarship in
memory of his late skating coach Osborne Colson!

Mr. Colson must be so proud of his favorite student. May he continue to look after Patrick.

eta. Wouldn't it be nice if the airline he flies on would donate the tickets? Originally he would have been in Toronto to work on his new choreography but now it's an extra trip that cuts into his Worlds preparation. The event ticket prices are too low to raise a large amount of funds. They should look into other ways to maximize the funds raised, e.g. institute donation online, invite additional skaters, add another show, etc.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan helping Japan in his own way

Patrick Chan ready to skate for a cause

This is pretty generous of Patrick considering he missed out on ISU points and prize money from 4CC and will miss the WTT prize earning as well, all due to the disasters in Japan and reschedule of Worlds. I remember an article describing how he ran to a team photo shoot when he overslept, refusing to spend the money on Taxi or even 60 cents to text Slipchuk! He also gives half his earnings to his mother because she pays much of his expenses.

He is also involved in and recognized for promoting Chinese stem cells testing and donation.

Last edited:

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
I'm pleased that Patrick is honouring his link with Mr. Jackson as well with the scholarship in honour of Mr. Coulson; you could always see the relationship between Patrick and Mr. Coulson was very special, and it's wonderful that even in this very elaborate and intensive coaching arrangement he now has he acknowledges how much Mr. Coulson is a part of who he is today as a skater ...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There are more pics from the show on Patrick's website. Love their smiles!

I've found it interesting that Patrick posted pics of Brian, Tomas, and Kiira from Festa On Ice on his site, without himself in them. Obviously they are his friends.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
We were able to go. It was a great show; Don Jackson is an incredible showman and a joy to watch. The pictures that are uploaded are quite reflective of the very warm and respectful relationship that the two men have.

It was also wonderful to see an old-fashioned skating show: everything from tiny kids who are still tottering to make it a few steps, up to the senior skaters in the club; everyone seemed to be having a great time - smiles on all of the kids faces. The crowd were all thoroughly enjoying themselves - and sang Happy Birthday to Mr. Jackson, too.

Patrick even stayed after the show, with Mr. Jackson, to do a meet and greet with the audience. Given that he had flown in on Friday, done a skate with the club skaters, a pizza party and autograph session - two TV interviews - and a practice skating session, plus a full ice show - he certainly could have chosen to simply leave, but instead he hung around to spend more time with his fans. Mr Jackson's stamina also has to be commended: I hope that I've that much energy and enthusiasm (and sheer tenacity) at his age.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you for the report, CSW. The Club twitted before that the kids were over the moon in anticipation of Patrick. Did he participate in any group number?

I love the photos of Mr. Jackson and Patrick together. Love their energy. Your description of Patrick is so consistent with everybody else's who have ever met him. After the whirlwind busy two days, he was evidently still very congenial at the airport where a DoctorJones twitted meeting and shaking hands with him and calling him "Nice kid". Nice kid indeed. I'm so proud of him.

I wish Patrick best of luck at Worlds, whether or not he needs it; And that one day soon the first and latest Canadian World Champions will do a show together.

And a belated Happy Birthday to Mr. Jackson. May he have many many more happy ones like his 71st.

Last edited:

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
He wasn't in any of the group numbers; he was in the closing ceremony/sendoff at the end. He did two skates plus a brief encore.

Having gone through the process of putting together similar carnivals over the years, I would imagine that the logistics of including him in the group numbers would have been nearly insurmountable, plus, frankly, it would have taken away from the club skaters - which I can't see him wanting to do - after all, the show is really about what all of the kids have accomplished ... however, he did do a freeskate with all of the club skaters prior to the show, which was certainly a highlight for a lot of the youngsters - being able to be on ice with both he and Mr. Jackson was apparently quite the experience; from the pics I've seen about he was definitely "approachable" and more than willing to cooperate with moms with cameras and little kids on skates!

Says a lot about his parents and his coaches. They've obviously done a good job in raising him to be a polite and well-mannered young man.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks, Short circuit, for the news video. It was a very nice report. So, Patrick is the one setting up the Mr. Colson scholarship? Seeing that he now splits up the proceeds to aid Japan also, he will probably be doing some more shows to add to the kitty for the scholarship.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Such a heart warming story. Thank you for the links and reports!
I, too, wish all the best to Chan.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
What was the attendence, CSW?

Only about 500 attended the Skaters Care benefits in the US.

Around 1,400 I would say ... but, then again, the Oshawa Skating Club is very much part of the community, and it's a town that tends to support a) local athletes and b) good causes. Plus, they could pull from the entire Toronto area and surroundings, which is very large.