Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson! | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson!

I'm so excited! Patrick Chan and Don Jackson are skating in the Oshawa Skating Club carnival on April 7th! The posters are up in the rink! Yay!!!!

callalily

On the Ice
Fantastic! Here a great article from a couple of years ago about Patrick and Don. Apparently, Don Jackson was Patrick's learn-to-skate instructor at the Minto Club in Ottawa when Patrick was just beginning. What an honour to have Don teach you at that age! Don knew Osborne Colson well, too, and has shared memories of him with Patrick. It's inspiring to see these two together.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figureskating/article/688411

Ravensque

On the Ice
Fantastic! Here a great article from a couple of years ago about Patrick and Don. Apparently, Don Jackson was Patrick's learn-to-skate instructor at the Minto Club in Ottawa when Patrick was just beginning. What an honour to have Don teach you at that age! Don knew Osborne Colson well, too, and has shared memories of him with Patrick. It's inspiring to see these two together.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figureskating/article/688411

Thanks for posting that callalily. What a nice article.

trains

On the Ice
Thanks for posting that callalily. What a nice article.

It is a great connection. Here is the correct info for the show:
Saturday April 2nd, 2011 at the GM Centre in Oshawa (just east of Toronto)
April 2nd is also Don Jackson's birthday!

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
It's a good facility to watch in too; it's not huge, the seats all have good sight lines ... and I'll bet it's less than paying for any of the various Stars or Celebration on Ice type things!

Taking the opportunity to link one of my favorite videos. No Jackson, but 4 Canadian greats, 3 of earlier generations and one future, in the same rink.

2002 Kurt Browning's Ice Legends: Osborne Colson

What a wonderful video! And isn't it sweet the way Kurt prods Patrick to show good manners and thank "Mr. Colson."

Besides the great early view of Patrick, and the wonderful glimpse at Colson, this video reminds me of why I'll never take Kurt Browning off the top of my skating life list.

purplegirl

Rinkside
What a wonderful video! And isn't it sweet the way Kurt prods Patrick to show good manners and thank "Mr. Colson."

Besides the great early view of Patrick, and the wonderful glimpse at Colson, this video reminds me of why I'll never take Kurt Browning off the top of my skating life list.

i love kurt too and always will, but it's brian orser who prodded patrick to thank mr. colson! fantastic video. so proud of canadian men's fs! long may brian, kurt and patrick thrive! :)

i love kurt too and always will, but it's brian orser who prodded patrick to thank mr. colson! fantastic video. so proud of canadian men's fs! long may brian, kurt and patrick thrive! :)

Ooh, thanks, Purple. My bad; I looked too quickly. I stand corrected. >blush<

Orser is also a splendid bright light in skating. I echo with you in your wish that all four of these great skating guys should thrive for many long years to come.

trains

On the Ice
2002 Kurt Browning's Ice Legends also featured segments on Don Jackson and Toller Cranston as well as Mr. C.
There was a fourth person too which was probably Brian Orser. It was an amazing show.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
$20 for an adult to see Chan AND Jackson? I wish all skating shows were that affordable, I would be able to go see them with way less pain in the pocketbook ...

purplegirl

Rinkside
Since some of you enjoyed the 2002 video, here's Kurt And Patty Show 2010, a hilarious bromance, if you haven't seen it last summer.

thanks so much skatefiguring for posting! i had only ever seen the "trailer" which was pretty hilarious -- but the chat was so informative and so much fun. love their chemistry together. kurt is just such a charmer and patty plays right off that energy! thanks again!

although now that i finished watching the whole thing i felt slightly uneasy about kurt's "dig" at johnny weir ("we'll leave the bielman spins to him"). i mean, i sometimes think johnny is paranoid about ppl's attitudes towards his femininity, but maybe he's not so paranoid afterall. am i over-reacting? :confused:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
thanks so much skatefiguring for posting! i had only ever seen the "trailer" which was pretty hilarious -- but the chat was so informative and so much fun. love their chemistry together. kurt is just such a charmer and patty plays right off that energy! thanks again!

With all their goofing, don't you think they are two romantics, from Kurt's answering the question on what he'd bring to a deserted island? He was searching for the reasons why he'd bring his wife, and Patrick was drinking his water while making the "duh" expressions, with Kurt finally just said, "Well, she's my wife." Duh, indeed.

And you see where the teasing of Kurt's hair came from for the gala schtick.

I enjoyed watching what I had time for, but I didn't reach the part about Johnny Weir. I hope Kurt didn't mean anything by it. I adore Kurt, but he does put his foot in it sometimes. On the other hand, Plushy does a Bielmann spin, doesn't he? So maybe Kurt wasn't equating a Bielmann with androgyny... I hope!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This video is a half hour of live uncensored spontaneous fun and insights, Yet it seems many viewers tend to zero into the few seconds of comments on Bielmann spin and the two guys get criticisms of a range of severity. Few can be politically correct 100% of the time. Kurt always clowns around to get laughs and Patrick sometimes gets uptight and yields to peer pressure but they are both jolly nice guys with close gay friends and no malice. I just can't read too much into those few words, especially after the hilarious reactions and discussion about the spin. I think they were in awe of men who could do it. I think of their friend Shawn Swayer and am sure they don't hold him in any contempt.

Kurt was probably the funniest grown-up Little Patrick ever met and he still constantly cracks up young man Patrick!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Kurt just said "we'll leave that to Johnny Weir" sort of off hand.

Patrick said he could not do a Bielmann spin "I wish" then he said "no actually I don't wish. You sort or lose respect among the men."

Patrick - I love your skating. But you need to learn something about respect.

purplegirl

Rinkside
This video is a half hour of live uncensored spontaneous fun and insights, Yet it seems many viewers tend to zero into the few seconds of comments on Bielmann spin and the two guys get criticisms of a range of severity. Few can be politically correct 100% of the time. Kurt always clowns around to get laughs and Patrick sometimes gets uptight and yields to peer pressure but they are both jolly nice guys with close gay friends and no malice.

I would tend to agree with you on this front i.e. I can't really see Kurt being intentionally hurtful. I didn't realize other people have criticized that comment ... Had that really been a subject of discussion? I guess everything around Johnny is kinda intensified. Sometimes it's really hard to tell what's real (and judging by the Montreal DJ's mockery during the Olympics, real malice exists) and what's Johnny's self-created drama (which also exists). At any rate, I certainly didn't mean to contribute to making mountains out of molehills! It really was a fun video - no arguments about that!