Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I am really going to get in trouble now, but in thinking about the topic of girly men in figure skating it suddenty struck me that I can't actually think of any girly girls in the sport. Look at the thighs on those broads! (Oh, sorry. )

Even a fem lady like Dorothy Hamill is more tomboy than dress-up tea party with Barbie and Ken.

OK, I'll go back to tatting my doily now.
    Yeah, especially ladies in gymnastic. Nastia Liukin and former USSR lady gymnast (forgot her name) are the only two girls I liked in that sport. So I stopped watching it.

Also, what could be more manly than quad jumps?! That jump is so exciting!

Ok, Blades, as you requested, back on topic. Chan's eye sight must have been affected by these un-usual eye muscle movement conditions. He is actually handsome if you don't look at his eyes.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 02-24-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Also, what could be more manly than quad jumps?! That jump is so exciting!
    I think Triple Axels are more manly than quad jumps. Maybe because the man is thrusting forward instead of backing into it?

Just because something is exciting doesn't necessarily make it manly. A roller coaster ride is exciting, for instance. And who takes us on more roller coaster rides than Alissa Czisny (now that Sasha Cohen is retired from competition)?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I think Triple Axels are more manly than quad jumps. Maybe because the man is thrusting forward?
    You totally stole my line.

I did! I did!

I was trying to remember where I heard that great line. All props to BoP.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    In the post-twitter World, the retweet is the sincerest form of flattery.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I think Triple Axels are more manly than quad jumps. Maybe because the man is thrusting forward instead of backing into it?
    By that logic, the manliest move in figure skating is... the split falling leaf! A skater is thrusting forward, in the shape of a phallic missile, and even lands forward. It's like an arrow of penetrative manliness.

Ironically, it's women who tend to do the move more often. Although among current male skaters, Jason Brown and Shawn Sawyer do some pretty good ones.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ^ All Cassar needs to become a contender is a more reliable triple Axel.
    MM, are you really Jo Ann Barnas?

Or her husband?
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011022...-skating-world

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    MM, are you really Jo Ann Barnas?

Or her husband?

http://www.freep.com/article/2011022...-skating-world
    No (I am actually Brian Boitano). But Jo-ann Barnas is a very cool lady. The Detroit Free Press is one of the few newspapers that coves figure skating as a major (well, sort of major) sport. Barnas covers all Olympic sports plus writes occasional in-depth features about local athletes.

Anyway, I have had the pleasure of seeing Jonathan perform in lots of local shows and exhibitions. I'm with Joe Inman -- he can make you weep. If there were a sport of solo male ice dancing he could be a champion.

But his jumps are always an adventure. Interestingly, he had the same coach here as Alissa Czisny, Julie Berlin -- another lovely lady that I cannot bring myself to say anything negative about.

Custom Title

But his jumps are always an adventure. Interestingly, he had the same coach here as Alissa Czisny, Julie Berlin -- another lovely lady that I cannot bring myself to say anything negative about.
    I didn't know Berlin was his former coach. That explains why Frank Carroll told him they would have to rebuild his axel from scratch.

I think it's a great pity that Berlin's former students have to work so hard to rebuild their jumping technique at a relatively late stage in their career.

Custom Title
    If there were a sport of solo male ice dancing he could be a champion.
    If Cassar does it, I would definitely see him.
    Thank you for the news link, Spun Silver. Good read and I found Jeremy article in the same newspaper.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011013...yssey=obinsite

Back to Chan, I don't have much to add. I saw again his FS at Nats... his steps are so so exciting! Maybe his steps toward Worlds too! Go, Patrick, GO!

Rinkside
    Here is the infor re the Jackson/Chan Oshawa Skating Club carnival:

OSC presents "ADVENTURES IN TV LAND"
    with 2 special guest skaters
    World Champion and Olympic Bronze Medalist Don Jackson,
    2 time World Silver Medalist and Olympian Patrick Chan

Tickets will be available for OSC Carnival members Saturday, February 26th through the GM Centre box office.
    Tickets will be available for general public on Saturday, March 5th through the GM Centre box office.

Prices:
    Adults $20
    4-8 yrs old $12
    3 and under FREE

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Found the flyer ... hopefully I'm allowed to link to it - ?????

http://oshawaskating.com/ESW/Files/Carnival_2011.pdf

Custom Title
    This is really worthwhile because besides the opportunities to see two Canadian greats live and cheaply, the proceeds go to supporting skating in Oshawa.

http://www.ckdo.ca/see_community.asp?show=10000&page=1

Oshawa Skating Club 'Adventures in TV Land'
    General Motors Centre, 99 Athol Street East, Oshawa - Apr 2, 2011
    The Oshawa Skating Club presents the 'Adventures in TV Land' skating extravaganza show tonight at 7PM. Come see performances by the 4 time Canadian champion and 2 time world silver medalist, Patrick Chan as well as 1962 World Champion Don Jackson. Tickets are $20 for adults and $12 for kids. Ticket proceeds will go to supporting learn to skate programs at the Oshawa Skating Club. The OSC runs a number of learn to skate programs for various age groups and runs a special program for children with special needs called 'Special Blades'.

Custom Title
    I am sure they would hope that by the time the show takes place, Patrick can add the title of World Champion in their ads.

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    This is really worthwhile because besides the opportunities to see two Canadian greats live and cheaply, the proceeds go to supporting skating in Oshawa.

http://www.ckdo.ca/see_community.asp?show=10000&page=1
    Yeah ... we don't live in Oshawa, but, I know "through the grapevine" the club and the people who skate there and coach there; it's a good place, good coaches, very family-oriented, producing some nice skaters too ; the Special Blades program is supposed to be a good one. IIRC, their Canskate co-ordinator was named one of the Best of the Best Canskate Coaches last year, too ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast