What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Imaginary Pogue said:
I wouldn't expect that to be any different whether you're best friends, married to, or loathe the number one competitor. So being bothered that you lost and being happy for the team that won aren't two contradictory positions, in my view.

I would completely agree-competitive people, and all these elite teams have to be competitive, want to win.

npa

Match Penalty
2. It does seem out of character, though perhaps not profoundly. We could comment on the eyeroll after the OG CD, for example. One thing to reiterate: if you're good enough for silver, you're good enough to be annoyed you didn't get gold. I wouldn't expect that to be any different whether you're best friends, married to, or loathe the number one competitor. So being bothered that you lost and being happy for the team that won aren't two contradictory positions, in my view.

I agree, all want to win. Dont want to discuss what reall place at CD at OG must M-C take.
But why nobody from competitiors didnt look at Meryl like she did? With arrogance, like she annoyed with all this skaters, who couldnt be in the same class with her. Like her programs is best ever in history? Andf she teach Charlie this.
Its funny, you all during long years discussed Oxana Domnina. But what is the difference between Oxana and Meryl? Both thought they are own star in ice dancing.
And honestly, i have feeling, that Meryl thought or coaches told to her, that Tessa will never compete againe with her so bad facial expression and skating and best ice dancer in history with best facial expression, best artistism and skating at least will be 4 year Queen untill Sochi (Doris, i think your avatar will suite Meryl a lot :biggrin:)

4. Not getting into the rest except to say that V/M coming in behind D/W could be rationalized away without any "class." Not saying that they would do that.

All could be. But againe - if they didnt look, like Meryl did last season, when they lost GPF before main competition in there lifes, when all talk D-W will be OGM and they still focusing and made only kind comments..... And they all time talk last season how D-W are greate.... So i think if V-M will not win gold at WCh this couldndt change them, if Olympic Gold didnt change them :)

Only hope all your negative will not affect on V-M and they could made full SD and full FD at WCh, not like that was at 4CC, when you didnt want to see there skating againe, becasue Queen Meryl need Gold.
Dont worry - you will have your gold. But did this bring something good, if you look at people, like Meryl did?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
?

Anyone who would like to form their own opinion about Meryl and Charlie might like this interview, posted 4 days ago:

Part I of 20 under 30 interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8XR9hK1gDM
Part II of 20 under 30 interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0miUwob5ZLM

And an interview with Tessa and Scott, after their Olympic Win
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ4lYo53Hg0

They all seem to be nice people to me.

I think characterizing Meryl as the Witch in Snow White is a rather questionable assessment.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
npa, I disagree or don't understand.

The third clip doris posted is one I completely cherish. I've seen it more times than I've seen some of my favourite programs. To me, it's such a spontaenous display of affection. Now, it's a year later so who's to say what happened in their friendship, but it's a gorgeous moment nonetheless.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also, when you look at D/W throughout their career, they've always been #2 - #2 in the US for several years behind B/A and now #2 at the OG behind V/M - typically thought of as "second best in their own rink". There have been times when D/W DID outskate one of the teams that was/is considered above them and they still ended up behind them. Of course you would be upset by it! Maybe npa is suggesting that Meryl tone down her spontaneous reaction of being annoyed when it's not the score she was hoping for?

npa

Match Penalty
http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=Si51Mch1zds&playnext=1&list=PL99D6CE19F0136C46
7:10 - 7:12. But you will tell this is normal reaction, because D-W ubers always think D-W must win (its from WCh)

http://s42.radikal.ru/i098/1103/b3/07556edd5c44.jpg - reaction on V-M marks after CD at OG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6mge7uZbLo&feature=related
5:28

ImaginaryPogue - nothing happened. Meryl start talking, what she really think about all this.
They with Charlie could go over her best friend and his GF, i think V-M isant so importatnt persons for them.
Charlie and Scott still a friends - all OK.
If all want to win, i dont think we need to read some ubers comments about how sweet Meryl is ;)
Doris, common, what smile mean for americans?

Last edited:
Poor Meryl. Everyone obsesses over her least little remark or facial expression. Who is she, Patrick Chan? ;)

npa

Match Penalty
Poor Meryl. Everyone obsesses over her least little remark or facial expression. Who is she, Patrick Chan? ;)

If you become a champion people start pay more attention to you off-ice, then before :)
Especially if you want to have such a weet image :rolleye:
But relax, Meryl, you need only be in Tokyo to take your dreaming gold.
Igor even didnt go woth Lychtman-Copeley to JWCh to be with Meryl all the time at traning :)

Apple Pi

Rinkside
V/M's withdrawal overshadowed D/W's win here. It actually says as much in the icenetwork article about D/W's win:
"But in the press conference after the event, most of the talk swirled around the mid-program withdrawal of Davis and White's training partners, Canadian, Olympic and world champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir."
Wouldn't you be irritated if you had your best performance so far and all anyone talks about is how another team withdrew? Meryl's quote in the article:
"First off, we would like to say we are sorry that Tessa and Scott had to withdraw," Davis said. "They have been working really hard and looking great, and I'm sure they will overcome like they always do."
It needed to be pointed out to the press then, that even though they're sad for V/M, they're still happy and excited for their own win. Unless some of you think Meryl and Charlie don't have the right to be happy for winning and should be mourning for their teammates instead? I think V/M would say the same things if the shoe were on the other foot. ESPECIALLY if they kept getting questions about D/W and not about their own win.

Wallylutz, you said yourself that you think D/W have been laser focused on themselves and don't know much about V/M beyond what we do. Isn't that just what Meryl said? No team should let themselves be affected by the performance of another team - look what happened to W/P here.

Also, ImaginaryPogue, I thought it was established that Meryl's eyeroll at the Olympic CD was for DomShabs still remaining in first after V/M's performance. Wasn't that the reaction of the crowd too?

I would love for Meryl to be the witch in Snow White and smite everyone, including the audience, with her wicked facial expressions. ;) :party:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by npa:
Igor even didnt go woth Lychtman-Copeley to JWCh to be with Meryl all the time at traning

Originally Posted by Apple Pi:
Are you trying to start a rumor?

I think npa just doesn't like Meryl.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think it all boils down to a misunderstanding in language/tone... but that could just be me. I'm not a fan of either team, but they don't seem cold towards each other or any such nonsense.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:eek:Wow. I noticed the first couple of posts about this ,was it last night ? I couldn't chime in then..and now...it seems like it's gotten quite far away from where it was when it started.

It's the skaters' job, in these interviews, to show that they have confidence in themselves and their own ability to win..to keep the focus on themselves and not let the interview be about someone else. ( Also, Meryl would know neither her coaches nor V/M would want her to be speculating on Tessa's condition , just as she wouldn't want someone else speculating about her.) I simply took her comments to be nipping rumour in the bud , and keeping the interview about her and Charlie's prospects and I even thought "Good for you ,Meryl." when I read it.

No one knows better than these two couples how they stack up against each other. And while they always give the other credit for being their main ( if not only ) competition , neither one has backed off from their belief that they could win. And that's as it should be. After being hailed as the probable champions all season , D/W would be foolish to start saying " Gee maybe we can't win if T&S will be there.." especially to an interviewer.

Scott said in his recent interview about whether they would be at World's, that they definitely would be there and that they thought they were still the best ice dancers in the world..well really, what else should he say ? It would be foolish to say " Oh, I know we probably don't have a chance to best D/W.." They do have a chance and D/W are still projected to win by many ( maybe most).

So I'm sure there are some rigid "D/W Only" fans who, if they heard Scott's interview, would say he was being arrogant and writing D/W off.. But that would be very silly, too.

npa

Match Penalty
Also, ImaginaryPogue, I thought it was established that Meryl's eyeroll at the Olympic CD was for DomShabs still remaining in first after V/M's performance. Wasn't that the reaction of the crowd too? :

This was after V-M marks, not after D-Sh marks in CD :)

beabstress

On the Ice
This was after V-M marks, not after D-Sh marks in CD :)

Yes, you're correct--it was. And after V/M--the last couple to skate in that part of the competition--skated, all the CD placements were final. So Meryl COULD have been making a face because she and her partner were now in 3rd, not 2nd, because their training mates placed ahead of them. And Meryl COULD have been making a face because D/S were in 1st to stay after one-third of the competition, giving temporary credence to many people's idea that the reigning World Champions would win the Olympics regardless of how they skated.

Of course, Meryl also COULD have been having a leg cramp that was caught on camera at a really unfortunate time. And Meryl COULD have been thinking about something totally unrelated to skating that she wasn't happy about. Maybe Meryl ate something weird that didn't agree with her.

I think people should just leave Meryl alone, wait to see who shows up in Tokyo, let them all skate, root for everyone to do their best, and hope that the result reflects what happened on the ice.

If you become a champion people start pay more attention to you off-ice, then before :)
Especially if you want to have such a weet image :rolleye:
But relax, Meryl, you need only be in Tokyo to take your dreaming gold.
Igor even didnt go woth Lychtman-Copeley to JWCh to be with Meryl all the time at traning :)
The media will see to it that you pay more attention off ice. Ladies for what they say; Men for what they do.

Why not just ignore all that crap and enjoy the competition.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, thanks to the internet, we can obsessively obsess over silly details (She winked twice and he only once, are they angry with each other?!?!). So, if we’re going to do this….

Virtue/Moir’s CD

The relevant section starts at 5:06. Tessa/Scott see their marks. Tessa’s positive, Scott’s non-plussed . Cut to Meryl/Charlie. I see this exchange

Meryl: “What did the Russians get?”
Charlie: “43.7”
Meryl: massive eyeroll

Impute meaning at your will.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Domnina & Shabalin were only put 1st in the CDs in Vancouver since based on Europeans the judges knew that was the only portion of the event they were even something above competent in at that point, and the only way to sneak them on the podium and prevent the dreaded all North American sweep was to put D&S 1st in the compulsories. And it worked, they held onto the bronze over B&A pretty comfortably all based on their CD lead, despite mediocre OD and FD efforts.

Faiella & Scali are the European team that should have been rewarded with both the European title and Olympic bronze last year instead. It was their best season of skating ever. The judges could only imagine one of the two D&S teams to break up a NA sweep though, and as the French D&S showed up in Vancouver in even worse shape after a whole year off with injuries and a baby, the Russian D&S got gifted with the token European medal.