What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance

Buttercup

Record Breaker
2. Pechalat & Bourzat- I like them more than Davis & White but IMO they arent really World Champion caliber objecitvely speaking. So silver is good for them and possibly would retire on this high note.

3. Kerr & Kerr- would never happen but would love to see it. I love them.
P/B are hardly going to retire with Worlds coming up in France next year, and having finally made their breakthrough internationally - remember that (hard as it is to believe) they had never won any international competition before this season. Barring injury or something similar, they're in it until Sochi. And I know it's not likely, but I hope they win. Their 2008 FD is what got me interested in ice dance again and I'm still not happy that the judges went with D/W's boring Eleanor Rigby over it.

As for the Kerrs, you and me both. Maybe the judges will give them a career achievement award like F/S got last year? ;)

Everyone is listing their picks for the Worlds. It's a prediction thread.

In addition to a just placement at Worlds of whomever, I would like to see the competition on IN. NBC, or both. I just can't make it to Tokyo this time around.

herios

Medalist
P/B are hardly going to retire with Worlds coming up in France next year, and having finally made their breakthrough internationally - remember that (hard as it is to believe) they had never won any international competition before this season. Barring injury or something similar, they're in it until Sochi. And I know it's not likely, but I hope they win. Their 2008 FD is what got me interested in ice dance again and I'm still not happy that the judges went with D/W's boring Eleanor Rigby over it.Maybe the judges will give them a career achievement award like F/S got last year? ;)

Despite what Pangtongfan anticipates, wanting to send P/B and Joubert to retire, neither will, mainly because the Worlds in France, you can bet on that.

Wishlist, oh dear, shockingly, IP spared me to type much here, I agree with all her picks top to bottom.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
IP, I reread your list to see what herios would have said :laugh:

and one thing I missed first time around: W&P are no longer coached by Bourne. They are coached by Krylova & Camerlengo, to whom I credit their great improvement this year. I do not think you have to worry about them not working any more ;)

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice

and one thing I missed first time around: W&P are no longer coached by Bourne. They are coached by Krylova & Camerlengo, to whom I credit their great improvement this year. I do not think you have to worry about them not working any more ;)

I'd love to see Weaver & Poje switch to Zoueva and Shpilband. They are already training in Michigan so they might as well. I think they could do wonders with them in terms of lifts and choreography, as well as consistency.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, I think Krylova has given them one of the best SD's of the season! The LP, not so much, but they make what they can of it. However, S&Z could improve their twizzles and their lifts, for sure. I don't see why they couldn't take a few classes over there, for sure!

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Well, I think Krylova has given them one of the best SD's of the season! The LP, not so much, but they make what they can of it. However, S&Z could improve their twizzles and their lifts, for sure. I don't see why they couldn't take a few classes over there, for sure!

I agree that their short dance is absolutely exquisite, the best of the entire season in my opinion. Their twizzles are their weakest element, and with his strength and their long lines, there is no reason they shouldn't have some of the best lifts in the world.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)I've been reading back over,too ,and a few things were mentioned that got me thinking..

M/N..I am really tired of her being a parody of something..she's lovely, let her claim it.( In last year's OD ,I half expected her to have a tooth blacked out when she smiled :eek:) I understand couples feeling they need to do something to stand out..but I think they're in danger of setting themselves up to always be seen as the comedy relief, and thus not really being taken seriously...I like them and would hate to see this happen to them. I do hope they do well, though I haven't got a particular placement carved out for them in my heart , and hope they'll take a break from humour next year.( At least, the type of humour that requires her to have clownish make-up, hair, or accessories..except in exhibition, of course .)

I, too, think W/P might have held off the Shibs ( by a small margin) for silver had they not had their mistakes at 4CC. So they really have no room for error at World's. I really want to see them gain some recognition ,so I'm clutching at the straw that was buried in Kaitlyn's comments after the SD, to the effect that they were pleased with their scores, since it actually wasn't the best they'd skated their SD , as they weren't feeling at their best. This gives me hope that their FD performance was not entirely due to choking in unusual circumstances.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, I don't think any of the north American skaters feel their very best after what, 20 odd hours of travel time. I know I don't. So I'm hopeful they will do better at Worlds-and arrive a day or two earlier in Japan, so they'll be rested appropriately.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Hear, hear!..doris..

Wasn't this past year W/P's first full year with K&C ? It seems to me in the prevous year, that it was more a half and half arrangement with Shae , and now her ties to them are fairly tenuous.. I think it's been really good for them, and I certainly wouldn't think that's as far as K&C can take them. I think they need to take the approach of creating potential masterpieces for their FD's . ( I'm not quite sure how to put this, since I'm often very pro Camerlengo choreography.) I just feel that yes, a lot of thought had to go into the SD for everyone this year , but no-one really knew beforehand how they would be recieved. So,good as it is ( and I think it's fabulous ), there is an element of being in the right place at the right time in it's success..

With the FD, I don't feel much thought went into the choice of program, beyond the fact of their movie star good looks and that Kaitlyn could portray a good Satine...So over the season ,I've had to mentally set all that aside and concentrate on the good stuff in it.. But it's always so much better when the concept , content and those particular skaters work together to wow you. ( D/W's S&D is a perfect example. It was perfect for them at that stage of their careers and won't soon be forgotten )

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Heh. Wait, though. I thought Bourne, Krylova and Camerlengo were a coaching team. I got a great deal of pleasure thinking of these two dance divas, former adversaries working together.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
According to the Canadian coverage of 4CC's, Bourne acts as a 'mentor' to W&P rather than a coach.

Of course, I have no idea whether this is true or not.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Gold- I/K - they do have "it" - they have "it" so strongly that even though they are so young should be the faces of dance
Silver-P/B
Bronze-V/M - and that just based on their SD at 4CC
4th - B/S

colleen o'neill

Medalist
It seems to me that last year it was said that W/P worked with Shae in the off season (and that she was in part responsible for their choreo) and that they were with K&C through the season ( with Camerlengo also doing choreo duty). This year, I don't think I've heard mention of them training part-time in Canada , and then there was the " mentor" quote.

I think it's been good for them, including for the training environment ( more advanced couples etc. )..but I do sometimes wonder if there might be any harbouring of ill feelings between Skate Canada and Shae ,stemming from last year's objection..Of course we'll probably never know.

glacial87

Rinkside
Gold - D/W - well, not the ideal of a tango (remember Domnina/Shabalin OD 2007, CD 2010), but it has become much better and the package as a whole is convincing

Silver - P/B - not because of their SD, but FD is the best for them; can't see them staying on the top next season (their program is way too similar to 2010/2009 (Circus), they tried something new in 2010, but finally had to give it up

Bronze - B/S - finally great SD whcich evokes emotions, FD very elegant (not very interesting, but beautiful and technically demanding if skated clean - twizzles....)

Not sure about the rest. W/P MUST keep it together, then they probably will surpass C/P (they don't seem to be a perfect match, he looks too young and she lacks the "it-factor" of Ilinykh); the Shibs can be in front of I/K (the latters have more potential IMO, they seem more versatile; Shibs are way too smooth); the Kerrs should be in the final group, if they start getting some decent levels and stop being sloppy (FD 2009 was the better "Muse").

What's about F/S? Not successful at Euros at all...C/L overscored (Mont Blanc Trophy) - PCS, Levels (by the way: outskated K/A there, not a good sign for them, but probably a touch of reality...)

npa

Match Penalty
V&M-I hope they don't go to Worlds. I don't think Canada needs them to go for the three spots, and Tessa's problems should be a wake up call to let her body thoroughly heal. Then they can come back next year instead of risking damage. I'm not crazy about their SD, except for their really spiffy GW segments. In fact if you want to see lack of tango expression, check out the 2 tango sections before and after their GW in the SD. They can do better than this. And did better in the tango OD in 2007.

Who can comment on their FD? We really haven't seen it. However, from what little we did see, they seem to be using the same choreo tricks they used in the year they did Pink Floyd, coping with Tessa's injuries, and with the Charleston OD: set the stage with some appropriate almost non skating choreo (and theirs was very good here, but it wasn't skating), and then the circular step was a repeat of previous work with no discernible samba flavor, and fabulous lifts, to distract from what's missing (and you don't have to be able to skate to let your partner lift you and throw you around. The one really good point with the fragment we saw was the circular twizzles IMO, which I really loved. Again, they can do better. And next year, they will.

And if they don't go to Worlds, Paul and Islam can go. And I'd like to see them at Worlds.

Really interesting thoughts. So do you think V-M FD didnt have connection with samba and there tango didnt have tango expression - i understand you right?
OK. Its good for Meryl and Charie- rthey are so arrtisic and emotions, and musical.
But if most people think so - this is truth. V-M FD is so bad.
Hope they will show it at WCh - i cant waite to see this so unmusical, unlatin FD. More, then so greate tango

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
The first 30 seconds of V/M's FD was 10x as entertaining as D/W's tango. I love dance and rhythm, and it took 2 seconds to get into it, it's just too bad it ended all too soon.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
npa, I didn't say that I thought D&W's tango was wonderful TANGO. It isn't yet. Maybe it will be at Worlds. Maybe it won't get any better than it was at 4CC's, and will never.

Taking into consideration that Tessa had to pull out of the FD, I don't see why they want to go to Worlds this year. It looks like too much of a risk to me. YMMV So may their mileage.

Last edited:

npa

Match Penalty
npa, I didn't say that I thought D&W's tango was wonderful TANGO. It isn't yet. Maybe it will be at Worlds. Maybe it won't get any better than it was at 4CC's, and will never.

Taking into consideration that Tessa had to pull out of the FD, I don't see why they want to go to Worlds this year. It looks like too much of a risk to me. YMMV So may their mileage.

O, dont worry. From your words there programs are so bad, that even if they will come to WCh, they couldnt prevent D-W to take gold :biggrin:
But lets us to watch, what we want, even if they are so bad, compare to greatest dancers in history :)I think you know, that even team, who take 24th place at WCh, have ther suppoters who want to see there skating. And i notice one thing - for you all, what D-W made on ice is masterpiece. This is good for them/

Ravensque - thank you! Glad not all people hate V-M ;)

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Tessa and Scott do an excellent Argentinian Tango ( as we've seen ) and they've said that Tango is their favourite dance ( which usually means that a couple feels some affinity for the dance )Their expression of AT is second to none ( Max Shabalin has retired )... but this is not Argentinian Tango in their SD. I would have been very surprised if Z/S had used it for them, since it would have invited unnecessary comparison to D/W's FD, where authentic Argentinian expression is the thing they've been working to achieve all season.

It would be most unfair to have the memory of something V/M do very well ,almost naturally , to be hanging ghost-like over D/W in their FD.

Z/S must do the best for both teams . Both have different strengths, and both have the drive to want to expand into previously uncharted territory. It's very brave of D/W to take on a more intimate, non-story-driven theme , when they excel at the opposite.And it's equally brave for V/M to take on a real Latin theme for their FD .(I'm excluding Tango and Flamenco - is it considered latin ? -, since those are only " Latin " thanks to an artificial designation )

I can't think of one really memorable Latin FD, ever..( That is, memorable for all the right reasons ).. due to the difficulty of translating the dance forms onto ice. They're really trying to go where no couple has gone before.. To whatever degree either team succeeds ,they deserve real admiration for trying.

The two are going to be compared ( endlessly ) , but if I was their coach, I would think it was in both teams' interest to to keep it as far from being an apples to apples comparison as possible.

Therefore, personal preferences are definitely going to come into play.

Last edited: