What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
While I agree with everything you said, but Cappellinni / Lanotte hasn't been skating almost at all all season after a bad debut. So i would not say that they are sure bets for a top 10, because they have not proved anything all season, while they ended the last one on a major down note.
Or have you seen some great new material they have prepared for this event i missed somehow?

I agree. At this point, I am not sure if C/L could beat the respective #3 team of US & Canada: C/Z and W/P. As I remember, C/L lost to the Shibs both at Nebelhorn & the NHK trophy. It means they are not likely to make it to the top 10.

Personally, though, I would like to see them perform well. They are a beautiful team, and I'd like to see another strong European team. Vibrant competition and rivalry is good for the sport. :thumbsup:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I agree. At this point, I am not sure if C/L could beat the respective #3 team of US & Canada: C/Z and W/P. As I remember, C/L lost to the Shibs both at Nebelhorn & the NHK trophy. It means they are not likely to make it to the top 10.

Personally, though, I would like to see them perform well. They are a beautiful team, and I'd like to see another strong European team. Vibrant competition and rivalry is good for the sport. :thumbsup:

I like Cappelini/LaNotte. They have more palpable chemistry than the Canadian national champions.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
True, but an odd comparison. I'd argue that CapLan have more chemistry than the Russian/American/British/German/French etc National champions. Anna Cappellini is perhaps the most beautiful woman since Helen of Troy. How could Luca (who's very handsome in his own right) not have chemistry with her?

I put them in the top ten because....

1. They are all level four skaters (so many skaters find doing level four step sequences challenging, but they tend to do them fairly easily)

2. A number of the issues they had early in the season are gone now and the additional time has given them a chance to improve.

3. I quite enjoy their SD.

4. Mt Blanc scoring, assuming 10% over scoring (a la National events) puts them in the thick of things.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
As for what I want to see...I hope Virtue/Moir skate their best. It seems like their program is probably better than Davis/White's. It will suck for Davis/White to lose Worlds after being undefeated all season but they should have won in 2009. If they want it bad enough then they will really bring it next year and hopefully come up with their best programs ever.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'm a little surprised by the lack of support for Davis/White on this thread. Is it because people don't like them as skaters or simply don't like their programs this year? I for one am rooting for Charlie & Meryl to win that gold medal. Frankly, I think it's overdue. I agree: They should have won in L.A. in 2009. And last year . . . I honestly preferred them to Virtue/Moir. That said, I must agree with many others that their programs this year could be better. Despite their best efforts, I find their waltz short a little boring. I keep thinking back to the Bollywood short last year, which was so much more exciting and interesting. As to the long, I really admire them for taking on such a challenging program. Not only does the actual choreography look ridiculously difficult (to this admittedly untutored eye), but the theme is tough as well. I am not a huge fan of tango, finding it a bit monotonous; to keep a tango interesting over a 2-minute short program is one thing, but keeping up the intensity and interest over a 4 1/2-minute long is a true test. I think Charlie/Meryl have passed that test--the program has a lot of great highlights, they really keep it moving, and, boy, is Charlie's partnering not amazing throughout? My only criticism of Charlie & Meryl this year is I feel they're almost TOO focused on winning. The training, the choice of programs, the way they're skating---I'm feeling the effort of it, the intensity of their desire to win, much more than I'm feeling joy and pleasure for the sake of simply performing. To me they're skating more intensely, but also more tightly, than last season: perhaps not coincidentally, they've also had more actual mistakes in competition than I remember in years past. I think they're maybe putting too much pressure on themselves to win: it's like it's this year, or else. I hope they can find more freedom, joy, and pleasure in their skating in Moscow--and, perhaps, finally get that elusive gold.

One other note--there's certainly been a lot of criticism about Meryl's 4CC comments on this thread. I find this ridiculous. She said nothing at all wrong about Virtue/Moir. Of course she would feel sympathy for Tessa, yet her main focus would still be on her and Charlie's performance. What do people want her to say--"Oh, I'm so happy to have won this gold medal, but I guess I wouldn't have won it if Tessa and Scott had competed"? I find the negativity over her comments ironic, because in my personal opinion, Scott Moir's comments about Davis/White have been no better. Moir has always paid lip service to Meryl & Charlie's talent while making it perfectly clear that he believes he & Tessa are the better pair. He's been very open about that.

I'm not a huge fan of Virtue/Moir, but do have to concede that their short looked excellent at 4CC. If they skate that way in Moscow, they will once again be tough to beat.

In regard to other teams, I hope to see the Shibutanis skate well. I think their programs are just so fun, enjoyable, nice to watch, and also brilliantly skated! Also, I expect to see Pechalat/Bourzat win the bronze, and will be happy if they do. In the past I've not been a big fan of theirs, but they've really brought their skating to a new level this year, and their programs are excellent. I agree with many that Bobrova/Soloviev are an attractive team with great lines, however they're a little boring to watch. Right now they lack that "it" factor--the flair and excitement that the top teams have in spades.

As a final note, I'm bemused by the extensive debate about Crone/Poirier and Weaver/Poje on this thread. I'm not terribly fond of either of these teams. As many have noted, I feel like Crone/Poirier are just an ill-matched team physically (unfortunate for them, but difficult to overcome). Also I cannot understand the high scores they've received for the Eleanor Rigby long. I really don't like the program at all. To me, the choreography is too pairs-like and too lift-focused, and the costumes do not evoke the mood of the music at all. I find myself constantly comparing it to Davis/White's 2008 Eleanor Rigby long, which I loved and think superior in every way. As to Weaver/ Poje, I like them better than C/P, but feel they rely too much on their lifts, and I agree that the overall look and feel of their Moulin Rouge long is just kind of tacky and cheap. Would like to see them work more on their technique and footwork, and go for more subtle, less flashy presentation.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So many comments, so little time.

1. I like D/W as skaters. But these programs highlight several of their weaknesses (affect vs effect, drama vs passion). But I also want them to win without the redaction, ya know. Make no mistake, I prefer Virtue/Moir by a long shot but if D/W, I don't want there to be an asterisk beside it. But that said, there is the feeling that it is this year or never. Their main competition injured for most of the season, the next generation still too far away. If they don't win this year, I doubt they'll ever win.

2. I think Charlie's partnering is pretty great, but not "ye Gods amazing"

3. Okay, eyria, respectfully, you don't seem to like V/M as much as D/W, and you're going out of your way to defend them. That's fine. However, Meryl's comments, to me, read much differently than Scott's. Scott's come off as tooting his own horn - he's a bit of a blowhard, but he's paid more than lip service to his team-mates talent - they both have. Read Tessa's comments at the recent press conference, for example. I don't think his position is contradictory. Meryl's comments come off as genuinely indifferent to her teammates struggles. I don't think she is, but it's very eyebrow raising to me. I don't think it's an extraordinary request to pretend that you care about your friends.

4. C/P's FD is the best dance of the season. This is the first dance of there's I've really enjoyed (first FD, anyway) and I've been blown away by it. If they skate clean, it should score very highly. It's tonally fascinating, athletically terrific, and just genuinely emotional. It uses skate/dance language in ways that most teams don't even attempt. It's quite remarkable.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
So many comments, so little time.

3. Okay, eyria, respectfully, you don't seem to like V/M as much as D/W, and you're going out of your way to defend them. That's fine. However, Meryl's comments, to me, read much differently than Scott's. Scott's come off as tooting his own horn - he's a bit of a blowhard, but he's paid more than lip service to his team-mates talent - they both have. Read Tessa's comments at the recent press conference, for example. I don't think his position is contradictory. Meryl's comments come off as genuinely indifferent to her teammates struggles. I don't think she is, but it's very eyebrow raising to me. I don't think it's an extraordinary request to pretend that you care about your friends.

Yes, I'll freely admit that I'm not a big fan of V/M, although I respect their skills. And I'm very much a fan of D/W. I stand by my defense of Meryl. She said nothing wrong, nothing inappropriate. Whereas I have, on a number of occasions, been quite put off by Moir's remarks, not only about D/W but other competitors as well.

Interesting that you refer to V/M as D/W's "teammates." But they're not teammates--they are competitors. Yes they have the same coach, but they compete for different countries.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
eh, shrug.

I can see why you'd be put off by Scott's comments (about D/W, and I think when you say others, you mean Belbin/Agosto. Anyone else you felt he insulted). Do you see why I was put off by Meryl's?

As for teammates vs competitors, you seem to underline Meryl's comments. Despite the fact that they're friends (we're told time and time again), her comments come off as callous and indifferent to her friends' struggles. Your comment here almost justifies that - "Well, they're not really teammates, but competitors ... so it's okay".

Oh well, in the end - different strokes for different folks.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
And as for Moi, ;) I find nothing wrong with what either Meryl or Scott has said .You have to believe in yourself , after all. Especially if you have won a certain position..claim it. ( Don't be wishy-washy about whether or not you deserve it to the press ) V/M have always given D/W props for their abilities and always identified them as their main competitors. They've never shied away from pointing out that because D/W have been marked so close to them, they can't rest on their laurels.

In Meryl's case, I think she was just put in a bad position. Of course she'd want to keep the focus of the interview on herself and Charlie.. I mean ,they had just won the event. But beyond that, I'm not sure it was clear to anyone but V/M and the coaches exactly what was wrong with Tessa at that point ( if it was even crystal clear to them )..and Meryl would not be wanting to fan the flames of speculation . She had to find a way to deflect that line of questioning on the spur of the moment.

As to preferences , I prefer V/M , not just technically, but I always feel their expression comes from within..that they really inhabit their music. I also love Meryl and Charlie's skating , but for other reasons, e.g. their apparent abandon. I'm not that thrilled with their programs this year. Difficulty of the FD aside, I do love Tango , and it doesn't feel natural ,to me, for D/W. At 4CC there was still too much try and not enough surrender ( of her to him , of both to the music ) for me . I stress that this is really picking at the fine points , because there's no question that they're very very good.

I want V/M to win , but if it's D/W this year , I'm sure I'd feel they were worthy champions.

If you told me I could only watch one dance couple , I'd deeply resent having to make such a choice , but it would be V/M. ;)

Last edited:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I'd love to see V/M win this thing, but If they don't deserve it, they shouldn't get it. I've always felt that they were better than D/W, but no one can deny how good D/W are, so If V/M falter, or just aren't up to D/W level (which would be understandable, given their season) then I hope the Americans take it. Even injured, I doubt V/M will finish lower than second unless they have a complete meltdown. Same goes for D/W. Either of the two would be worthy champions.

As for third, I really do like Pechelat/Bourzat's material this season, and I think that they've skated it well, so I hope that they can snag the bronze.

Above all, I hope that one of the two Canadian teams skates well enough to get us three spots for next years' worlds...the competition is way too stiff in Canada for us to send only two teams...eevn with three spots this year, Paul/Islam had to stay behind, a team that I think could have done really well here.

I really hope that Weaver/Poje make the top ten. They've skated relatively well all year, albiet a little inconsistently, and while I don't love their FD, I think that they are definately worthy of the placement. As for Crone/Poirier, I'd like to see them get the marks that they deserve here...despite their good technique, i can't seem to warm up to their programs this season. All things skated cleanly, I think that W/P are actually a bit better...the judges haven't seemed to agree with me this year, though. I'd also love to see the young Russians, Ilynikh/Katsalpov place in the top 10. They've really grown on me this season, and I think that they're definately a team to watch. I can see them and Paul/Islam going head to head quite often in a couple of seasons' time.

blue dog

Record Breaker
If they allowed two men to skate together, I'd root for Charlie and Scott. As much as I love Tessa and Meryl, I feel that Charlie and Scott are the more expressive of their respective partnerships. Of course, Tessa and Meryl aren't bad in that department, either!

But if that were allowed, who'd lead? =P

colleen o'neill

Medalist
blue dog..well you conjure up a great show number for Scott and Charlie (or for the foursome ) in my mind...It would be perfect for Tango:biggrin: , since men did / do dance Tango together to learn , practice and show off their stuff when there's no ladies around. They can trade off the lead ( and someone could wear a sharp hat ;))...then the girls could enter and the two couples could try to out-dazzle each other. :laugh:..I want this now , and it's all your fault !

veravina

Rinkside
Eyria - You can't have been watching Cdn TV, because Scott & Tessa have always been extremely complimentary towards Meryl & Charlie and it always seemed genuine to me. Their positive attitude has indirectly helped to give M&C a large fan base in Canada. Perhaps you just don't like Canadian skaters? I think what struck me about Meryl's comment was that it was made to a Cdn interviewer who had interviewed her for years and she referred to T&S as "them". I wouldn't have known how to characterize it but it was indeed eyebrow raising and I think ImaginaryPogue has it right in saying it sounded "indifferent". It was just one comment among many interviews, so whatever the problem I'm not judging her on it. I suspect it's an attitude that comes from the coaches. I don't agree however, that Scott is a blowhard - he is confident and says exactly what his coaches have trained him to say: You are the best, believe it. I've heard Charlie saying the same thing.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Eyria - You can't have been watching Cdn TV, because Scott & Tessa have always been extremely complimentary towards Meryl & Charlie and it always seemed genuine to me. Their positive attitude has indirectly helped to give M&C a large fan base in Canada. Perhaps you just don't like Canadian skaters? I think what struck me about Meryl's comment was that it was made to a Cdn interviewer who had interviewed her for years and she referred to T&S as "them". I wouldn't have known how to characterize it but it was indeed eyebrow raising and I think ImaginaryPogue has it right in saying it sounded "indifferent". It was just one comment among many interviews, so whatever the problem I'm not judging her on it. I suspect it's an attitude that comes from the coaches. I don't agree however, that Scott is a blowhard - he is confident and says exactly what his coaches have trained him to say: You are the best, believe it. I've heard Charlie saying the same thing.

I think people are just looking for drama (on both sides) where there is none. I do think the coaches believe that on any given day, either team can be on top of the world, and what a treat that must be for their coaching staff!

It's not like what happened in the nineties with the top two Russian teams.

Colleen-- write to Marina Zoueva! Perhaps she will choreograph that. I must say, though, your idea is very very intriguing.

Another number I'd also love to see are all of the women in that training base skating a synchro number together. Tessa, Meryl, Jana, Maia (please tell me she and her brother weren't named after...), Madison, Charlotte...

herios

Medalist
Maia (please tell me she and her brother weren't named after...)

Well, I have to say it would have never crossed my mind, but they "might" have just gotten the names from them indeed.

Why? Because let me tell you, a "Maia" name for a Japanese -american parents born girl is more than unusual. And on top of that, her brother is...Alex.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Well, I have to say it would have never crossed my mind, but they "might" have just gotten the names from them indeed.

Why? Because let me tell you, a "Maia" name for a Japanese -american parents born girl is more than unusual. And on top of that, her brother is...Alex.

Are you implying they were named after Maya Usova and Alexander Zhulin? I've never thought of that before..