Thread: What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple Pi View Post
    Are you trying to start a rumor?
    The rumor Shpilband didnt go to JWCh?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by npa View Post
    This was after V-M marks, not after D-Sh marks in CD
    Yes, you're correct--it was. And after V/M--the last couple to skate in that part of the competition--skated, all the CD placements were final. So Meryl COULD have been making a face because she and her partner were now in 3rd, not 2nd, because their training mates placed ahead of them. And Meryl COULD have been making a face because D/S were in 1st to stay after one-third of the competition, giving temporary credence to many people's idea that the reigning World Champions would win the Olympics regardless of how they skated.

Of course, Meryl also COULD have been having a leg cramp that was caught on camera at a really unfortunate time. And Meryl COULD have been thinking about something totally unrelated to skating that she wasn't happy about. Maybe Meryl ate something weird that didn't agree with her.

I think people should just leave Meryl alone, wait to see who shows up in Tokyo, let them all skate, root for everyone to do their best, and hope that the result reflects what happened on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by npa View Post
    If you become a champion people start pay more attention to you off-ice, then before
    Especially if you want to have such a weet image
    But relax, Meryl, you need only be in Tokyo to take your dreaming gold.
    Igor even didnt go woth Lychtman-Copeley to JWCh to be with Meryl all the time at traning
    The media will see to it that you pay more attention off ice. Ladies for what they say; Men for what they do.

Why not just ignore all that crap and enjoy the competition.

Custom Title
    Well, thanks to the internet, we can obsessively obsess over silly details (She winked twice and he only once, are they angry with each other?!?!). So, if we’re going to do this….

Virtue/Moir’s CD

The relevant section starts at 5:06. Tessa/Scott see their marks. Tessa’s positive, Scott’s non-plussed . Cut to Meryl/Charlie. I see this exchange

Meryl: “What did the Russians get?”
    Charlie: “43.7”
    Meryl: massive eyeroll

Impute meaning at your will.

Banned
    Domnina & Shabalin were only put 1st in the CDs in Vancouver since based on Europeans the judges knew that was the only portion of the event they were even something above competent in at that point, and the only way to sneak them on the podium and prevent the dreaded all North American sweep was to put D&S 1st in the compulsories. And it worked, they held onto the bronze over B&A pretty comfortably all based on their CD lead, despite mediocre OD and FD efforts.

Faiella & Scali are the European team that should have been rewarded with both the European title and Olympic bronze last year instead. It was their best season of skating ever. The judges could only imagine one of the two D&S teams to break up a NA sweep though, and as the French D&S showed up in Vancouver in even worse shape after a whole year off with injuries and a baby, the Russian D&S got gifted with the token European medal.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Domnina & Shabalin were only put 1st in the CDs in Vancouver since based on Europeans the judges knew that was the only portion of the event they were even something above competent in at that point, and the only way to sneak them on the podium and prevent the dreaded all North American sweep was to put D&S 1st in the compulsories.
    Actually, I thought it was a very fair decision to have D/S in first after the CD. And I'm no D/S fan. I think they should have been far below third in the OD and FD, however, but as you say, that would have paved the way for a North American sweep, which the ice dance world was not ready for.

Banned
    The NA sweep wont happen in 2014 either with the Olympics being in Sochi. I would bet money on 1, maybe 2 medals going to the Russians (not saying they wont deserve it, but even if they maybe dont they will still be there) with the other 1 or 2 going to NA couples.
    I think it will happen someday at the Olympics but maybe not for awhile.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Pogue..That CD was a lovely treat to have with my coffee..

As far as I can tell , your lip-reading is perfect.

I read the meaning as dismay over the Dom/Shabs still being on top, and for M&C that would mean further to climb..But to believe Meryl's expression would reflect her opinion of V/M , you would have to believe all the congratulatory hugs and back slapping that took place later were all put on , which seems ludicrous to me.

npa..I don't know if anyone did take Scott's comment badly , I just know there are some who would try to make something out of it , if they heard it . It isn't in me to try to seek them out and quote them...
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 03-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Custom Title
    Initially I said my wish list to be "exactly" like IP's, as it looked like I was writing it
    Now, with Faiella / Scali sadly out, a revision is required, I want their place in top 10 to be taken by Chock / Zuerlain, just because I think having all 6 teams from NA in the top 10 would reflect the current state in ice dance worldwide.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The NA sweep wont happen in 2014 either with the Olympics being in Sochi. I would bet money on 1, maybe 2 medals going to the Russians (not saying they wont deserve it, but even if they maybe dont they will still be there) with the other 1 or 2 going to NA couples.
    I think it will happen someday at the Olympics but maybe not for awhile.
    I think Vancouver might've been the best chance for a medal sweep to happen, actually. Now Russia's in a rebuilding phase, and their swath of junior teams (and current crop of seniors) @ projected growth makes that seem unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Initially I said my wish list to be "exactly" like IP's, as it looked like I was writing it
    Now, with Faiella / Scali sadly out, a revision is required, I want their place in top 10 to be taken by Chock / Zuerlain, just because I think having all 6 teams from NA in the top 10 would reflect the current state in ice dance worldwide.
    I'd have to think about that a bit, but I'd probably agree.

Custom Title
    I/P, what do we do with ...W/P?? Do we keep them candidates for the 8th spot? Look what they are aiming for:

http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/?e=6173...0Andrew%20Poje

5th is kinda ambitious, but what I like is their upbeat spirit and who knows, errors like Andrew tangling in Kaitlin's skirt most likely won't happen again as they will be much more careful with that move.

Custom Title
    I forgot they had to do qualifying.

Keeping them down in eighth for now. Top five is within reach, but the stars must align.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Top five is within reach, but the stars must align.
    For W/P to make it into the top 5, I think the alignment of the stars will need to include the top 5 or 6 couples all dropping out of the competition en masse.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by beabstress View Post
    For W/P to make it into the top 5, I think the alignment of the stars will need to include the top 5 or 6 couples all dropping out of the competition en masse.
    That is almost like trashing, because you just put them candidates for 11th, and they are better than that. Their realistic target is 7-9th, regardless what the top 5 might do.

Banned
    Assuming Virtue & Moir compete teams that Weaver & Poje have no chance of beating would be: Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, Pechalat & Bourzat, Bobrova & Soloviev. Teams they probably have small hope of beating at this point too would be: Kerr & Kerr, Faella & Scali, Crone & Poirier, Shibutani & Shibutani. I would say 9th or 10th is their most likely result. Of course you have to shoot higher.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast