Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Assuming Virtue & Moir compete teams that Weaver & Poje have no chance of beating would be: Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, Pechalat & Bourzat, Bobrova & Soloviev. Teams they probably have small hope of beating at this point too would be: Kerr & Kerr, Faella & Scali, Crone & Poirier, Shibutani & Shibutani. I would say 9th or 10th is their most likely result. Of course you have to shoot higher.
    I think this is a very fair assessment. On a good day, when they have a fabulous SD and a really, really clean FD, they could beat any or all of these teams to finish in 5th. Without 0 for their spin element, when there was a tripping on a skirt problem, they would have been 2nd at 4CC. They have more than a small hope. Their SD could easily put them in the final flight of the FD, and with a clean FD, a 5th place finish would not be shocking.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    I think this is a very fair assessment. On a good day, when they have a fabulous SD and a really, really clean FD, they could beat any or all of these teams to finish in 5th. Without 0 for their spin element, when there was a tripping on a skirt problem, they would have been 2nd at 4CC. They have more than a small hope. Their SD could easily put them in the final flight of the FD, and with a clean FD, a 5th place finish would not be shocking.
    Pangtongfan forgot that Faiella and Scali won`t compete, therefore many of the second tier teams who could beat Cap-Lan would move up one spot.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    That is almost like trashing, because you just put them candidates for 11th, and they are better than that. Their realistic target is 7-9th, regardless what the top 5 might do.
    I wasn't saying that to trash them. I sincerely don't think W/P will do better than 10th unless a few wacky and unforeseen things happen to the couples up at the top. Having the *skill* to be better than 11th is one thing--but having the *mental composure* to be the same is quite another. Things seem to be either plateauing or going downhill for this team. I just don't see a miraculous jump to a high place happening.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by beabstress View Post
    I wasn't saying that to trash them. I sincerely don't think W/P will do better than 10th unless a few wacky and unforeseen things happen to the couples up at the top. Having the *skill* to be better than 11th is one thing--but having the *mental composure* to be the same is quite another. Things seem to be either plateauing or going downhill for this team. I just don't see a miraculous jump to a high place happening.
    All right,we shall talk afterwards

Medalist
    Speaking of W&P, why do they not have a direct entry at Worlds?

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    It must have to to with points..they hadn't been to world's for the previous 2 yrs. ( nor had they been sent to any "B" events, so their GP points alone wouldn't be enough . This is an assumption , I don't know the actual point breakdown.

If it's not wishful thinking, I do think it's at least a bit premature to say they've plateaued or are going down , considering the reception their SD has had all season ,and the overall improvement they've made , which has been pointed out by commentators all year . And although I have said myself, that they need to keep working on their mental game , there is improvement there as well , compared to previous years.

They've had a series of unfortunate glitches during their FD all season , and for the most part have managed to pull it together and not fall apart.

Maybe they'll break out of it at world's.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It will be because there were only 2 Canadian teams at last year's worlds. They finished high enough to earnspots for 3 couples for the following year, but the lowest ISU-ranked team will have to go through qualification. If the three couples are V&M, C&P and W&P, the lowest ranked team is W&P. However, if V&M opt out of Worlds, the lowest ranked team would be Paul and Islam, and they would be the team that would have to qualify.

C&P are rated 4th with 3162, V&M are rated 5th with 3000 pts., W&P are tied for 6th with Bobrova/Solviev with 2897.

It's a weird and sobering thought that if W&P had done a place better in the GPF and finished second at 4CC's, that V&M would be the team having to go through qualification. There is something very distressingly wrong about this system that hooks the qualification to the federation and the standings rather than the team.

W&P have a qualifying score to compete at Worlds-after all, they competed at the GPF and 4CC's this year, not to mention 2 Grand Prix's. If there had been 3 teams last year, and the third team had finished high enough (I know it's 18th in men's) W&P wouldn't have to qualify. But they do.

Custom Title
    All things aside. Perhaps because of the fact the W&P have to qualify, it may help them get their nerves under control and give them some momentum........think? I hope so.

D'oh !...Thanks, doris...and the real story makes me and . That's pretty bizarre..

ETA: Ravenesque...I like your scenario. I'll be hoping along with you.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 03-08-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Medalist
    Thanks for the info, and I hope like heck that having to skate in the prelim will help them rather then scare them off! They can be rather skittish! IMO they DO have the best short dance this year of any team, totally sublime!! Go Canada.

Since today was the World's dress-rehearsal show at Canton, I hope someone who was there will share some news of how the teams looked / did. Of course , I'm most deperate for word of V/M , considering the events at 4cc , but it would be nice to know all four teams look strong and prepared. Anyone heard anything ?

Custom Title
    Considering W/P topped both D/W (by 2 full points) and V/W in the TES at the 4CC SD and finished a very respectable 3rd in the first phase of the competition with a score rivaling that of Top 2 at the Europeans, it feels a little absurd that someone is suggesting they would be fighting for 11th at Worlds. That prediction deserves a gigantic

Custom Title
    Key for W/P is to ride the momentum of their fabulous SD, which has received almost universally positive reviews from almost everyone within the Ice Dance circle. If they can do that, they can again find themselves in 3rd after the SD. I do not think it is out of question for them to defeat P/B and B/S in the SD however, can they hold it together in the FD, that would be the key question.

Custom Title
    The central paradox/irony is that the goals of C/P and W/P almost seem to be reversed from what I expect them to be

C/P's stated goal at the beginning of the season was to be in the final group. However, I've largely found their strength (career wise) to be in the FD. I thought it was more plausible for them to land in the top five overall as opposed to getting their after the first round. So far, their international competitions affirm this (4CC, GPF, SC). Whereas W/P have largely stuck around due to the strength of their SD and found themselves dropping in the FD (SA, GPF, 4CC w/ NHK sorta in the middle, not losing their position on the podium but behind the Shibs in the FD). The one consistent improvement they've been making is that they're not losing the ground they gain on base value.

Normally, I wouldn't cite doing the qualifier as a particular advantage for anyone: particular teams that have to travel a long way, but I think there's a benefit here for W/P. They'll be able to do their FD in front of international judges but without really worrying about position - they should be fine getting to the SD, and I believe the groupings for the SD are based on international ranking.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Normally, I wouldn't cite doing the qualifier as a particular advantage for anyone: particular teams that have to travel a long way, but I think there's a benefit here for W/P. They'll be able to do their FD in front of international judges but without really worrying about position - they should be fine getting to the SD, and I believe the groupings for the SD are based on international ranking.
    Doing the Qualifying Round should be a positive for Weaver/Poje because their FD appeared to be their nemesis so far in the season. At the 4CC, they had a very comfortable lead over both Shibutanis and Crone/Poirier to a point that if they had a clean but otherwise average FD, they would have ended up beating both of them, on the strength of the SD. Having one more chance to present your FD in a real competition environment in front of ISU judges - merely days before the real event - if I were them, I would beg to do it. Plus, the teams doing the QR in Ice Dance are nothing to write home about, no Americans, French or Russian, not even the Reeds (Japan). They are left skating against some very lowly rank Ice Dance teams, which means the pressure will be minimal and a good skate can boost their confidence when they have to actually skate the real FD portion of the event, hopefully after a strong SD that positions them well into the FD.

As for the SD draw, the Top 10 World Ranking teams entered should be randomly divided among the last two groups to skate. W/P are ranked 6th according to the ISU ranking, therefore, they will be skating in either the final group or the before last group. So just because they had to do QR will not make them having to skate very early during the SD. On the other hand, Shibutani are really lucky that Faiella/Scali will not be there because if the Italians showed up, it would have bumped the 2nd American team out of Top 10 list and therefore, unable to skate their SD in the last 2 groups. Nobody likes to skate early, things get a little better under CoP vs. 6.0 system but it's Ice Dance, psychologically, you wonder if judges will hold marks back, especially the PCS.

The rest just depends on how each team skate. Ice is slippery, a miss here or there could really change the ranking. Aside from D/W and V/M, who can afford minor errors and still keep their top spots, the French and Russians will be hard pressed to get on the podium with errors in their skate. Competition from the North American teams will be tremendous. Granted, it's hard to see a North American sweep in Ice Dance and I believe Pechalat/Bourzat are the favorites for a spot on the podium but if they falter, which has happened many times before, many of the teams ranked right below them could sneak it and take that spot. Historically, World Championship is where judges have the confidence to let changes happen - meaning, if they were reticent about your PCS throughout the season due to your reputation, this is the time you can expect big scores if you really have good materials. This should benefit a number of upcoming teams who until this point, have been held back, due to being relatively new. We shall see.
    Last edited by wallylutz; 03-10-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast