Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 203

Thread: What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance

  1. #106
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Considering W/P topped both D/W (by 2 full points) and V/W in the TES at the 4CC SD and finished a very respectable 3rd in the first phase of the competition with a score rivaling that of Top 2 at the Europeans, it feels a little absurd that someone is suggesting they would be fighting for 11th at Worlds. That prediction deserves a gigantic
    Not trying to be "absurd"--just venturing a guess about what I think might happen at this competition. I didn't realize sharing a thought that others might disagree with or not like was against the rules--good to know.

  2. #107
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by beabstress View Post
    Not trying to be "absurd"--just venturing a guess about what I think might happen at this competition. I didn't realize sharing a thought that others might disagree with or not like was against the rules--good to know.
    Join the Club! Making a suggestion will get you hit by the fans of the Rules.

  3. #108
    The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cleveland Heights, Ohio
    Posts
    594
    I'm hoping for gold for Davis & White!

  4. #109
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,514
    Of course, any wish is fine in a "What do you want to see thread". If you want to see W&P in 11th or 20th for that matter, beabstress, that would be fine, from a rules point of view. But it isn't likely, and when you wish for something unlikely people will tell you it's not likely.. which is also not against the rules.

    OTOH, the rules specifically prohibit posters from insulting you, whatever you post.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-10-2011 at 02:48 PM.

  5. #110
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    I believe Joesitz is referring to people who believe ISU rules should be followed in fairness for all skaters as opposed to those who believe otherwise.

  6. #111
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,546
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Considering W/P topped both D/W (by 2 full points) and V/W in the TES at the 4CC SD and finished a very respectable 3rd in the first phase of the competition with a score rivaling that of Top 2 at the Europeans, it feels a little absurd that someone is suggesting they would be fighting for 11th at Worlds. That prediction deserves a gigantic
    4CC and European scores are often quite inflated, so I would take W/P's 4CC SD TES with a grain of salt. W/P's FD has been their Achilles heel all season, and it is the FD that determines final placement.

  7. #112
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    4CC and European scores are often quite inflated, so I would take W/P's 4CC SD TES with a grain of salt. W/P's FD has been their Achilles heel all season, and it is the FD that determines final placement.
    Actually, W/P have been getting great reviews on their SD all season. I have heard almost no negative comments about it. Given that programs generally improve over the season, I'm not sure any salt is necessary here. W/P had a great SD and FD skate at Nationals. Many in the audience thought W/P should have won. Internationally, W/P have struggled with consistency and having a clean program in the FD. Some of this has been one or the other member of the team making a mistake or mental error or being nervous, but at 4CC it was because they got tangled in her skirt and lost the spin element entirely. If that had not happened, they would have been 2nd at 4CC. It is entirely possible, I'd say even likely, that W/P could be in the final flight after the SD with a good skate. If they have a clean skate like Nationals, or even better, for the FD, then they could potentially hold their position in the top 5. They'd only drop 6 or 7 places in the FD if they had an absolute disaster of a FD. While anything's possible, that would be rather absurd at this point in the season. And I don't agree that the FD determines the final placement. It's the combination of both SD and FD that determines the final placement, and having a great SD is very helpful in getting into a great start order for the FD. And I think the start position for FD does matter to a certain extent.

  8. #113
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,546
    In their FD, W/P did lose their spin when his foot got caught in her skirt. But they also blew a lift, and that had nothing to do with the first mistake.

  9. #114
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    4CC and European scores are often quite inflated, so I would take W/P's 4CC SD TES with a grain of salt. W/P's FD has been their Achilles heel all season, and it is the FD that determines final placement.
    Even if the 4CC and European scores were inflated, the fact that they scored higher than the reigning Olympic&World Gold and Silver Medalists at the same competition speaks volume about the potential, since it would mean after similar inflation is applied, they still scored higher. Plus if 4CC and Europeans are similarly inflated, then it stands to reason they are fairly comparable to each other, making the scores between the two competitions somewhat comparable although not exactly. Let's not forget, W/P also defeat Bobrova/Soloviev at the SD during GPF even though W/P had mistakes in their SD. TES tends to be a more stable score than PCS. The fact that their strength came from TES, not PCS, is an encouraging sign because should the judges bump their PCS up at the end of the season, as they often do with new teams who show promise, that's when they can turn heads.

    As for FD determines the final placement, that's simply not true. Where did you get that idea? It's always a combination of the different phases of the competition in Figure Skating that determines the winner and the SD/SP sets you for the long, therefore, are often considered quite important even though they count for less marks. D/W won the FD at last year's World but lost the Championship title to V/M. Similarly, V/M won the FD at the 2008 World Championship, but finished 2nd overall.

  10. #115
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,514
    And Domnina / Shabalin lost the FD and the OD at 2010 Europeans and yet won (due to winning the CD by a great deal).

  11. #116
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I just can't get into the Winner of the Points takes the Gold Medal in Figure Skating. There is so much to the Sport which has no numerical value. Without going into details, I can't abide by scores from one Panel as being equal to the scores of another Panel. Personal Bests are in the mind of the beholder, and do not need points. It's a gimmick to butch up the sport.

    However, there are good points in CoP which should be retained, and maybe combined with the good points of the 6.0. In other words, I would like to see a revision of some strange items in CoP.

    Back on Ice Dance. I'd like to see if V/M can make me believe they can get the rhythm of the Samba.

  12. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Even if the 4CC and European scores were inflated, the fact that they scored higher than the reigning Olympic&World Gold and Silver Medalists at the same competition speaks volume about the potential, since it would mean after similar inflation is applied, they still scored higher. Plus if 4CC and Europeans are similarly inflated, then it stands to reason they are fairly comparable to each other, making the scores between the two competitions somewhat comparable although not exactly. Let's not forget, W/P also defeat Bobrova/Soloviev at the SD during GPF even though W/P had mistakes in their SD. TES tends to be a more stable score than PCS. The fact that their strength came from TES, not PCS, is an encouraging sign because should the judges bump their PCS up at the end of the season, as they often do with new teams who show promise, that's when they can turn heads.

    As for FD determines the final placement, that's simply not true. Where did you get that idea? It's always a combination of the different phases of the competition in Figure Skating that determines the winner and the SD/SP sets you for the long, therefore, are often considered quite important even though they count for less marks. D/W won the FD at last year's World but lost the Championship title to V/M. Similarly, V/M won the FD at the 2008 World Championship, but finished 2nd overall.
    They never scored higher than D&W and V&M. Scoring higher in one program in TES is not even close to scoring higher when PCS determines the bulk of the scores. And that was with D&W making a mistake and V&M in only their 1st event this season. As others have said too the SD is W&P's strength but their FD has been mediocre most of the season and they have dropped backwards all season in the FD.

    I dont think they will come 11th at Worlds but I think they will be in the low part of the top 10 more likely than top 5. Weaver & Poje have never even beaten Crone & Poirier, and C&P probably wont be top 5 at Worlds this year. Now that Failla & Scali have withdrawn it is still fairly likely W&P will end up only 8th or 9th. The top 4 from Europeans and the top 3 from Four Continents plus V&M (if they skate) would all seem fairly likely to beat them. And atleast half of those are certain to beat them.

    Lastly W&P are not a "new team". This season is their 5th on the senior scene and their first senior Worlds was way back in 2007. There are alot of newer teams than them who are expected to place above them at Worlds. As for the PCS bump more likely after blowing a big chance to make a move upwards at 4CCs they have done nothing to gain any momentum with the judges going into Worlds.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 03-12-2011 at 11:17 AM.

  13. #118
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I believe Joesitz is referring to people who believe ISU rules should be followed in fairness for all skaters as opposed to those who believe otherwise.
    "In fairness" I think Joe is referring to people who never question whether the rules are good rules, as opposed to those who follow the lead of the "powers that be" as a matter of course.

    (Beabstress' complaint is altogether different, of course. I second Dorix P's response.)

  14. #119
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,788
    Of course, I assume that when trying to project what any team's chances are, we're thinking of the teams all having good clean skates..(ice is slippery, but there's no predicting when that will play a part ). And of course, this is a wish thread ,so as doris said ,anyone can wish anything they want..

    That said, I know I usually wind up letting my idea of what I think is likely to temper my wishes.

    So, pangtongfan.. If 9-10 are your wishes for W/P , that's one thing, but you seem to be trying to make a rational case for a prediction. If so, I don't know why you think W/P should only expect to finish behind the entire 4CC podium and the European top 4.

    They placed ahead of I/K at NHK , and though they haven't met K/K yet , those two SD's are easy to compare from a fan's PoV , both being waltz/quickstep..and I don't think there's much doubt that W/P's is superior , if we're being entirely objective.

    There's not much point in bringing up their secondary mistakes at 4CC , since even with those mistakes, if they had not lost the spin, they would have had the silver medal.I agree 5th is probably the very best they could achieve ( and why wouldn't they then make that their goal ?) but they are very competitive with K/K, C/P,S/S, I/K , H/Z ( in skill and material )..it would have to be very bad luck to finish behind all of them.

    I don't wish bad luck on any of them , but I wish for a finish closer to 5 than to 10 for W/P. And I also think it's reasonably possible.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 03-12-2011 at 02:39 PM.

  15. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Weaver & Poje have never beaten Virtue & Moir, Davis & White, Pechalat & Bourzat, Bobrova & Soloviev, Kerr & Kerr,or even Croner & Poirier in any head to head competition. They were beaten by the Shibutanis in 2 of 3 head competitions, and havent beaten them in a free dance all season. There is no logical reason whatsoever to assume they are "likely" to beat any of those teams. The Kerrs skating at they did at Europeans would easily beat W&P from Four Continents, so again no indication of W&P moving ahead. I&K are a bit more unknown but I&K's free dance at Europeans was far stronger than any W&P have done this season, and they are a younger team improving quickly. So 8th or 9th is their most likely finish. Of course it is possible they could finish a couple spots higher but also possible they could finish lower if they make mistakes (which they are prone too).

    I never said I wished for a certain position for them. I am Canadian so I would like to see them do as well as possible. However it is foolish to say my prediction of a 8th or 9th as the most likely result or that a top 5 is more likely is out of line. Crone & Poirier are clearly above W&P consistently and even they are arguably not likely to make the top 5 at Worlds if V&M skate. That doesnt mean I have a problem with their aiming for that result.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •