What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
It seems some have a pathetic obsession with bashing Crone + Poirier or downplaying their successes. The reality is Weaver + Poje consistently make costly mistakes in the FD that take them out of international medal contention. How is that Vanessa and Paul's fault? :disapp:

:confused: I don't see a lot of Crone & Poirier bashing, or making anything Vanessa and Paul's fault! Yes, Weaver & Poje have made some costly mistakes in the FD that have taken them out of medal contention. Some of those have been self-inflicted (GP), and some are just "stuff happens" moments (4CC skirt incident). I also don't think it's C/P's fault that when Weaver & Poje do well (Nationals), they find themselves almost tied, but still a little behind. W/P and C/P can only control their own skating. It's up to judges, and whatever other unseen political or reputational forces to make the decisions. There is no blame on the skaters.

This is also reality: in so many instances over the last year and a half, W/P and C/P have finished almost tied. In many of those, W/P have made mistakes, which has left them just behind. This year, W/P have showed improvement in their ability to compete cleanly. Nationals was a great example of this, and many in the audience really thought W/P deserved the nod. Without the skirt incident, W/P would have been 2nd at 4CC. So then, in the event that W/P can put together 2 solid programs like they did at Nationals, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that W/P finish ahead of C/P at Worlds. That's not a "dis" to C/P for their skating. In fact, it has nothing to do with C/P. It's "props" to W/P for their improvement.

:cool: And this is the nicest reality: With Tessa and Scott at Worlds, Canada has 3 wonderful ice dance teams that are very likely to finish in the top 10 in the world. I cannot remember a time when this has ever been the case.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Weaver and Poje could MAYBE beat Crone and Poirier if they can avoid any major errors. They might have beat Crone and Poirier at 4CC if they hadn't had a huge mistake in the FD. Generally, their SD is stronger.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still see tons of resentment from some posters about Skate Canada's selection of C/P over W/P for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic team, whether through outright bashing or read-between-the-lines slight digs toward Vanessa and Paul. The truly pathetic moments have been certain posters likening Vanessa's appearance to a witch :)disapp::scowl:) and when certain posters gloriously reveled in their perception that the audiences at Canadian Nationals gave Vanessa and Paul a cold reception after their performances and during the medal ceremony. Taking your resentment out on the skaters for decisions made by the judges over who is best just really rubs me the wrong way. Many times it seems that Crone + Poirier are the Carolina Kostner of ice dance. They have been nothing but gracious competitors from what I have witnessed of them, and the sour treatment by many skating fans that is thrown their way is undeserved and unfair I believe.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
museksk8r..You're completely right about things like calling Vanessa a witch , that kind of thing is uncalled for , but really, I haven't seen a lot of that here.

I have seen some remarks of a personal nature levelled at Kaitlyn as well , which are equally uncalled for.

I have noticed though , that there are some C/P fans ( or perhaps Ice Dance Elite fans, generally) who react vehemently to any critique of their favourites , even if it is not personal. These people often want to paint any mention of a weakness or room for improvement as some sort of cyber bullying :confused:, and even though W/P and C/P have been very close in terms of scores , they don't want to see the two couples as being closely competitive with each other at all, but act as if C/P have consistently and deservedly been many points ahead.

ETA; I haven't noticed anyone downplaying their successes.Their sucesses are on the record books . But there's no use pretending their current position is unassailable, or that there isn't another Canadian team so close behind them that if it was a horse race , it would be a photo finish.

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Vanessa Crone is a sweetie as I found out at Skate Canada this year. I wished them luck and she gave me a big hug.....cute girl....very outgoing and charming. Paul a bit more reserved. Weaver and Poje are also very gracious from my experiences last year and both are drop dead gorgeous in person. Both teams have a lot to offer and a joy to watch. I especially loved W&P's SD this year......the best of all, and am crazy about C&P's ER FD. Both wonderful teams and a credit to Canada and skating in general.:)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
You know, prior to this season, the differences between C/P and W/P didn't matter to me. Fact is, both teams were so far behind V/M in terms of my admiration that I didn't make much of an effort. I had MAJOR issues with C/P's choreography in both the 09/10 and 08/09 seasons (their first two senior ones) - out of their four programs, I enjoyed their 20's OD and nothing else. W/P I felt were a lesser team but had two programs (their Flamenco and Phantasia in 09/10, don't know what they did in 08/09) that suited them and watching them work SO HARD in the Olympic season was pretty inspiring.

So the fact that "Eleanor Rigby" moves me like it does surprises me. The fact that W/P took a giant step back with "Moulin Rouge" disappoints me greatly. If colleen's right about the ice dance elites, I'm gonna argue it's because C/P seem to try for much more in terms of ambition and complexity that it doesn't really feel like a horse race, despite how close they are in actuality. That, and having one team consistently beating the other.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: Tessa and Scott ! Their appearance is the thing I'm anticipating most out of the whole Championships . I, too , have a much higher degree of admiration for them than any of our other Canadian couples. ( But like NorthernDancers,I'm very thrilled to think we may be able to place 3 couples in the top 10..zowies! )

veravina

Rinkside
Hi all. Having seen C&P at Skate Canada, I want to comment that they have a wonderful melodic movement no matter what the choreography. In person both their SD and FD are mesmerizing. I'm sorry their SD hasn't been well-received, but that's the nature of Ice Dance. They also have a great ability to kick it into a higher gear after they make a mistake. I think that's why they won the 2010 FD to go to the Olympics, not because of judging favouritism or W&P skating poorly. Don't forget the latter actually won the 2010 OD over C&P. I don't think C&P will make it into the last group at World's because of their SD. The judges don't seem to get it. I expect to see both C&P and W&P in the second last group. I'm hoping to see V&M on top.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's not surprising at least some of the judges don't get their SD-the judges have to figure out what the strong beat is to grade the dance, and some of the judges have gotten rather testy about that sort of thing-really noticeable at Junior Worlds in the very uneven grading of Monko & Khaliavin in the SD, where 2 judges gave them between 3 & 4 for the relevant PCS grade to point out 50 to 75% of the pattern dance was not skated with proper timing.

It's not clear what the World's judges will do with programs done to things like "Amelie" and C&P's. It's going to be interesting because I&K's SD has the same features. My guess is that they will ignore it...but if they grade as they did at Jr. Worlds, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see protests flying over the SD judging from more sides than one.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
IMO the problem with W/P is that although Weaver is tall, her legs are quite short, so she really doesn't have long lines. That compounds with her weak skating skills(edges and extention) make it worse. They're good doing dramatic themes or storytelling type or fast moving programs beacause their weakness can be hiden or ignored. When it comes to classic romantic and slower music that demand showing off great lines and flow, they are not in advantage. That's the difference between W/P and C/P. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing V/M:). None of C/C or W/P can lure me into buying a ticket to a show yet.

KKonas

Medalist
IMO the problem with W/P is that although Weaver is tall, her legs are quite short, so she really doesn't have long lines. That compounds with her weak skating skills(edges and extention) make it worse. They're good doing dramatic themes or storytelling type or fast moving programs beacause their weakness can be hiden or ignored. When it comes to classic romantic and slower music that demand showing off great lines and flow, they are not in advantage. That's the difference between W/P and C/P. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing V/M:). None of C/C or W/P can lure me into buying a ticket to a show yet.

You must have strong edges and good basic skating skills to exhibit speed and power, not just the opposite - something I learned from lessons with Artur Dmitriev Sr and Evgeni Platov, both Olympic champions who had great speed and power.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:confused: Ilvskating...I can't believe you're talking about W/P in your post.. anyone who's ever taken a figure drawing class could tell you Kaitlyn Weaver's proportions are well nigh perfect .
In fact, this is one advantage W/P have always had. Though there's quite a difference in their height , she and Andrew are very similarly proportioned ,which makes it easier to achieve a good line. The critiques of her extension , edges . etc. ,which may have been credible 3 years ago , are pretty baseless now, after the considerable progress they've made.

Vanessa and Paul , on the other hand , have always had the advantage of deep sure edges and flow and an ability to match strides due to their many years together.Their weaknesses have always been that they have stiff backs ( although in different ways) and they have poor connection with each other ( which may be more noticeable because their body types are quite dissimilar ).They have made some improvement with this in the last 2 yrs., but much more needs to be done.

The difference between the two is the old apples and oranges example. The question is not are apples better than oranges or vice versa. The question should be is this the best apple it can be and is this the best orange it can be. Come the county fair the judges will choose whichever is the best overall example of fruit growing. ;)

Last edited:

veravina

Rinkside
Different strokes for different folks...for me Andrew's height creates a bit of a visual problem with these two - sometimes giving the impression he's leaning over Kaitlyn. And I've always thought Vanessa and Paul had an excellent connection on the ice. It's not in your face nor is it put-on, but it is there, and seems quite natural to me. It's one of the things I like about this pair.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
You must have strong edges and good basic skating skills to exhibit speed and power, not just the opposite - something I learned from lessons with Artur Dmitriev Sr and Evgeni Platov, both Olympic champions who had great speed and power.

by fast moving I meant more in the sense of busy movements, I know there is problem with the expression, bare me for lacking of better wording. I would say that when you have strong edges and good basic skating skills usaually you can skate very fast, and effortless. But it's not a must. In the past Chinese pair skaters used to have poor edges and skating skills but they were among the fastest pairs. Just my 2 cents.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
What an amazing time to be an ice dancer, especially from North America! Any of those skaters you two mention, plus many others are all capable of finishing in the top eight at worlds. Good luck to all these teams as they make their way to worlds!

Also, I do think Weaver and Poje, more so than any of the other teams outside of the top two, have the it factor. They're not faking love, or faking chemistry, they have chemistry. While Andrew has a long way to go in perfecting his technique (they all do, including V/M--I want to see all of them skating well into their late twenties!), he reminds me a lot of a young Yevgeny Platov. Caitlin, on the other hand, reminds me of Jayne Torvill herself. She's not afraid to let him take the spotlight, because, in the end, he shares it with her. Their short dance reminds me of my favourite movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's. They look like a couple out on the town!

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I want to see Weaver and Poje improving their free dance, and taking their short dance to another level! I think their short dance is the best of the season, even better than anything produced by Zoueva's students.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Vanessa and Paul look a little off because Paul is almost the same size as Vanessa, although Scott Moir is barely bigger than Tessa and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

tangos

Rinkside
I think Vanessa and Paul look a little off because Paul is almost the same size as Vanessa, although Scott Moir is barely bigger than Tessa and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

D/W, V/M, P/B, B/S, I/K, K/K should all be added to the list of looking "off" since they also all have about the same height difference .

alithia

Final Flight
I'd say that P/B, B/S ,I/K have quite a height difference or at least it seems so on the ice