Ice Dance: SD Thread | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance: SD Thread

herios

Medalist
ILoveFigures, that's true, BUT the list of fives is lower than anything any other judge gave the next five. So even if it doesn't line-up, that judge still definitely gave them lower marks than the teams herios mentioned.

EXACTLY. None of the top 6 teams (other than V/M) got any 5's. Go now and catch him or her if you can

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
ILoveFigures, that's true, BUT the list of fives is lower than anything any other judge gave the next five. So even if it doesn't line-up, that judge still definitely gave them lower marks than the teams herios mentioned.

I know that. I just thought it was important to mention. We really don't know who that judge is. That judge will probably be asked to explain his/her scores to the commitee and most likely get an assesment.

Bue

Rinkside
I know that. I just thought it was important to mention. We really don't know who that judge is. That judge will probably be asked to explain his/her scores to the commitee and most likely get an assesment.

This is what I wanted to ask - under the anonymous system can they still ask a judge to explain him/herself? Because it's pretty apparent there's some 'splainin to do here.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I just watched V/M's SD. It's not even evident that Virtue is at all injured! I can't believe some judge gave them 5s. They'd have more of a lead if it weren't for that, so that judge should definitely be asked to explain!

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
This is what I wanted to ask - under the anonymous system can they still ask a judge to explain him/herself? Because it's pretty apparent there's some 'splainin to do here.

I just watched V/M's SD. It's not even evident that Virtue is at all injured! I can't believe some judge gave them 5s. They'd have more of a lead if it weren't for that, so that judge should definitely be asked to explain!

Bue: The officials know which judge gave which mark. It is only anonymous to the public. The referee will probably examine this and there will be a debate at the round table discussion.

blue_idealist: The highest and lowest scores in each GOE and component are still tossed out, so the 5s don't count.

herios

Medalist

Nope they would have not had larger lead, those marks were not counted for, being the lowest.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting the V/M SD link! Love, love this pair and their SD!:love: 0.39 was not much but it does put psychological pressure on D/W. Many thought, including me, that D/W would have an easy ride. Looks like there's going to be a battle.

The dance teams and pair teams are lucky in a sense where they could help each other stay in their own bubble and focus. Especially in dance. Look at V/M. They were already in characters as soon as they left the boardside. Singles don't have this advantage.

herios

Medalist
herios, i don't know how you can be calm.Tess and Scott have never disappointed me either, but I'm all a-flutter :biggrin:

Did I not tell you to stay calm?:biggrin:

It is Tessa and Scott we are talking about here, the best thing ever happened to ice dance in Canada. If they show up, they are bringing it. Period.

KKonas

Medalist
Here are the judges:

Judge No.1 Ms. Sandra WILLIAMSON-LEADLEY ISU New Zealand

Judge No.2 Mr. Shawn RETTSTATT ISU USA

Judge No.3 Mr. Mark STORTON ISU Australia

Judge No.4 Ms. Maira ABASOVA ISU Russia

Judge No.5 Ms. Tianyi ZHANG ISU China

Judge No.6 Ms. Jodi ABBOTT ISU Canada

Judge No.7 Mr. Evgeni ROKHIN ISU Uzbekistan

Judge No.8 Ms. Kaoru TAKINO ISU Japan

Judge No.9 Mr. You-Hwa LEE ISU
Korea

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Nope they would have not had larger lead, those marks were not counted for, being the lowest.

Depends. If it's an error and those fives should be eights (using the keypad), then another judge might have been lower than that set and those would've been thrown out. Regardless, a more honest set of marks would be higher.

Okay, very curious now.

wallylutz

Medalist
Depends. If it's an error and those fives should be eights (using the keypad), then another judge might have been lower than that set and those would've been thrown out. Regardless, a more honest set of marks would be higher.

Okay, very curious now.

If Virtue/Moir ends up losing to Davis/White by this tiny margin due to typographical error on the part of one judge, I think Skate Canada is going to make a hell out of this.

katha

On the Ice
But who says this was an error? Obviously the marks are ridiculous and I'm sure the judge will have to explain why he/she did this. But how do we know that this isn't just a case of someone really really hating V/M for whatever reason?

ETA: Yes, I'm sure the judge will have to explain the marks. And will perhaps not come back to international competitions if he/she insists on them. Explaining it as an error is easier, I agree, but IMO it's not the only explanation. It wouldn't be the first time that judges marked in spiteful and absurd ways, though perhaps not as blatantly as that. :unsure:

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But who says this was an error? Obviously the marks are ridiculous and I'm sure the judge will have to explain why he/she did this. But how do we know that this isn't just a case of someone really really hating V/M for whatever reason?

We don't know. But what did they hate such that they ranked worse than the remaining N. American teams (and maybe the Chinese - we can't tell for sure)?

The marks are out of line in a way that demands explanation.

lavender

Record Breaker
I would like Davis and White to get a world title but who wanted V/M to retire as good as they are? They really don't need to retire especially if they don't want to. I keep thinking that judge put in the wrong information. I know they have to talk to him/her and find out about these ridiculous scores.

Anyhoo I can't wait to see their free dance.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I would like Davis and White to get a world title but who wanted V/M to retire as good as they are? They really don't need to retire especially if they don't want to.

Anyhoo I can't wait to see their free dance.

I don't know, but there seems to be a number of passive-aggressive digs directed towards them on the internet (see Aunt Joyce, but comments at fsu too)- you get the feeling some people are fine if they continue as long as they don't win against their favourites.

lavender

Record Breaker
I guess I never really paid that much attention to comments on the dance pairs. I would only watch D/W, V/M and the us silver medalist. I know some think Scott is somewhat cocky but that's it. I would like D/W to get world gold this time just because they haven't yet and V/M to get silver but really if V/M win it's okay. I just hope D/W will win it someday.

katha

On the Ice
Eh, that's the nature the average uber fan IMO: "My favourites are always perfect and everyone who dares beat them/compete against them is obviously evil." The passive agressive digs come from both sides and they're nothing new. It does get tiresome. Though IMO it's nothing compared to the nastiness directed at DomShabs and BelGosto (especially Tanith) in the last few years.

gottadance

On the Ice

ETA: Yes, I'm sure the judge will have to explain the marks. And will perhaps not come back to international competitions if he/she insists on them. Explaining it as an error is easier, I agree, but IMO it's not the only explanation. It wouldn't be the first time that judges marked in spiteful and absurd ways, though perhaps not as blatantly as that. :unsure:

if it turns out that it was a typo sort of error , will they correct it and change the final V/M mark? Granted the low marks got thrown out but there is still an affect on the total . I remember a similar snafu in synchronized swimming which directly impacted the result for the Gold and Silver Olympic medals - and it took them about 3 years to finally acknowledge and award the Gold to the right person .!!!!!!