Ice Dance - Free Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Free Dance

shusterbutski

Rinkside
Yeah, but they still would've been behind on the FD to the Shibs. Much like C/P, they have a dance that hasn't gone over well

That third Canadian spot seems to be drifting off in the distance.

I'm fearing the loss of the third spot as well. We still have to see V/M might not be out and I think C/P and W/P could potentially place well enough to qualify three. Hopefully the teams can regroup.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yeah, but they still would've been behind on the FD to the Shibs. Much like C/P, they have a dance that hasn't gone over well

That third Canadian spot seems to be drifting off in the distance.

I hadnt thought of that but if V/M miss Worlds then the results will probably be something like:

Gold- Davis & White
Silver- Pechalat & Bourzat
Bronze- Bobrova & Soloviev
4th- Shibutanis or Kerrs

So the best chance would be a 6th and 7th place finish. However there are others like I/K and F/S who could throw a wrench into that as well.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
What makes you say that when they would have won Silver if skated clean and not rattled by the bizarre incident before them? :confused:

Because C/P nor W/P have really made the inroads I wanted for them. Because W/P make silly errors in the FD in general - at NHK, Skate America, GPF..... Because if the Shibs have really passed Crone/Porier, it becomes even tougher. Because 13 is required, and 5/8 or 6/7 seems the most plausible, but I can't make the math work the way I want.

But mostly, because I'm really sad Tessa/Scott might not be there.

wallylutz

Medalist
Because C/P nor W/P have really made the inroads I wanted for them. Because W/P make silly errors in the FD in general - at NHK, Skate America, GPF..... Because if the Shibs have really passed Crone/Porier, it becomes even tougher. Because 13 is required, and 5/8 or 6/7 seems the most plausible, but I can't make the math work the way I want.

But mostly, because I'm really sad Tessa/Scott might not be there.

Need I remind you, if you speculate how the Worlds will turn out based on previous competition results, e.g. Crone/Poirier at Olympics vs. subsequent World Championship, you may end up been really wrong. The way I see it, Tokyo 2011 Worlds is another competition, another day. All the teams you mentioned have the potential to do well and challenge each other. Nothing is written in the stone. I hope Virtue/Moir will be healthy and ready to compete.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Need I remind you, if you speculate how the Worlds will turn out based on previous competition results, e.g. Crone/Poirier at Olympics vs. subsequent World Championship, you may end up been really wrong. The way I see it, Tokyo 2011 Worlds is another competition, another day. All the teams you mentioned have the potential to do well and challenge each other. Nothing is written in the stone. I hope Virtue/Moir will be healthy and ready to compete.

Of course, nothing is written in stone.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So heart broken for V/M. She's so young. They could skate till Sochi. Hope they won't go to the World this time.

shusterbutski

Rinkside
I don't think either C/P or W/P can be written off for Worlds. I think its quite close between a lot of teams and that the placements are far from set in stone. As we learned from this competition who knows whats actually going to occur on the ice. For sure though they have a lot of work to do from now into worlds and if they can get it together I think they can place well. C/P really need to get their levels up in the SD and of course W/P need to avoid making costly errors.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thanks for the V/M video! Tessa has had an obvious mistake before the lifting and withdrawing. The injury might have been bothering her all this time.

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist

No one is saying anything is written in stone. But there are observable trends. The Shibutanis are definitely trending upward with their scores. They've gone up with each competition. Given that 4CC did not exhibit the level of score inflation it has in the past (perhaps b/c it has all four world champs competiting), it's reasonable to assume that their score here will at least hold up at Worlds if they skate well.

Also, IP is right about the reputation W/P are setting themselves up for. They are like good short program skaters in singles who tend to implode a bit in the FS. Eventually that starts to impact you score even when you skate well. Jeremy Abbott has experienced this in the past.

C/P have not skated either of their dances really poorly this season other than the GPF SD. But the more you see both of them, the less impactful they seem to be with the judges. Their SD is just not a good fit (costumes, music, etc.). Their free dance is something I can picture Torvill and Dean doing at World Pros 20 years ago. Chris Dean tends to be somewhat repetitive creatively at times. It's how you can recognize when he's choreographed something. It does not feel like their take on the dance. It feels like C/P are skating a program Jayne and Chris decided not to use themselves. For anyone who remembers the Duchenays, many of their programs were in fact competition versions of T/D's show programs. It was a great formula that worked for them, but perhaps that well has been tapped enough in the judges minds. That's what this feels like. It actually feels a bit dated.

Last edited:

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I hadnt thought of that but if V/M miss Worlds then the results will probably be something like:

Gold- Davis & White
Silver- Pechalat & Bourzat
Bronze- Bobrova & Soloviev
4th- Shibutanis or Kerrs

So the best chance would be a 6th and 7th place finish. However there are others like I/K and F/S who could throw a wrench into that as well.

One thing we need to take into account is that we have not seen a lot of these teams compete against one another yet this season and though judges shouldn't score teams based on the scores of others in the competition, we know it happens anyway. Bobrova & Soloviev have yet to compete against any of the top North American teams other than the Grand Prix Final so we have no idea how they'll compare with the Shibutanis. Also, certain teams know how to step it up when they are faced with heavier competition like the Shibutanis just did at Four Continents today. I'm not suggesting that they'll medal at worlds, I'm just saying its impossible to predict placements based on scores because you have to take into account the athletes' competitive spirit.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Thank you for the link and info. Some of the exerpt indicates, "it's official - Tessa is Injured. He phoned me within moments of concluding a phone call with Skate Canada's high performance director, Michael Slipchuk, who stated that tessa felt a tightness in her left quad muscle."

Wishing a speedy recovery for Tessa.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Tessa and Scott have such a beautiful FD. Too bad we don't get to see the whole program. We will find out about her injury soon enough with the press conference going on. I feel they are being cautious this time and Tessa didn't skate through the competition with her titanium will. I have hope this is not terribly serious and they can recover quickly, before or after Worlds.