Ice Dance - Free Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Free Dance

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They still plan on competing at Worlds, (source) but I suspect we won't hear otherwise until much closer to the event, should that change.

I don't know...of course it's not up to me, but I wonder if Tessa might be better off just call the season off and really focus on letting her legs heal completely. I also wonder given a bit shaky performance of W/P, would the Canadian ice skating better off in the long run by giving V/M's spot to P/I this year? P/I could sure use experience and exposure. Just saying...

Did I miss something? Not a single comment here on the Gold medalists' performance? Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Any links to Shibs or D/W?

I hope Tessa is OK. That was a wonderful program, just a joy to watch. They and the Shibs have that quality in common - both enchant the viewer! Meryl and Charlie seem intellectual and effortful by comparison.

Oh, and thanks to Icemusings for the most detailed pbp I've ever seen. How on earth can you write all that and watch at the same time? Are you using a dictaphone? :eek:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I hope Tessa is OK. That was a wonderful program, just a joy to watch. They and the Shibs have that quality in common - both enchant the viewer! Meryl and Charlie seem intellectual and effortful by comparison.

:agree:

Let's hope it is a pulled muscle which requires a bit of rest and gradual exercises once the pain is gone. I've got to see that entire FD which shows proper skating to a carribbean rhythm.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't know...of course it's not up to me, but I wonder if Tessa might be better off just call the season off and really focus on letting her legs heal completely. I also wonder given a bit shaky performance of W/P, would the Canadian ice skating better off in the long run by giving V/M's spot to P/I this year? P/I could sure use experience and exposure. Just saying...

I was thinking that. But here's the thing: if Canada loses the third spot, P/I lose the chance at future experience/exposure (presuming they don't leap up the standings next year) anyway. Right now, if I was in SC's shoes, I'd be making sure P/I are absolutely prepared for Worlds right up to booking the plane tickets.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Did I miss something? Not a single comment here on the Gold medalists' performance? Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Any links to Shibs or D/W?

Oh, and thanks to Icemusings for the most detailed pbp I've ever seen. How on earth can you write all that and watch at the same time? Are you using a dictaphone? :eek:

I mentioned it only briefly, but D/W clearly brought it. Difficult, interesting stuff and they're starting to add the emotional shadings they've struggled with.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, I'd love to watch D/W & the Shibs' videos if someone could upload them?

I'd love to closely scrutiny the Shibs' performance again to see what it is that they did warranted approx. 2 points ahead of C/P.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Just catching up. Oh man, that was so sad. And I agree with everyone that the program was wonderful, different but so natural at the same time. Usually when ice dancers try percussion they go over the top but not V/M.

Looking forward to seeing D/W and the Shibs when I can.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was thinking that. But here's the thing: if Canada loses the third spot, P/I lose the chance at future experience/exposure (presuming they don't leap up the standings next year) anyway. Right now, if I was in SC's shoes, I'd be making sure P/I are absolutely prepared for Worlds right up to booking the plane tickets.

I can really understand your concern re: not being able to secure 3 slots for Canada. But then who knows? Remember what a great competition C/P & W/P had at Nationals, knowing V/M would not be there? Both teams really brought their A games. It's a different mentality for C/P for them to go to worlds as the national champion or as the second fiddle of your federation.

Chances are good that both C/P & W/P would bring their A-games, knowing # of slots depend on their performances. Let's hope they step up.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I'm so sorry for V/M! I hope she's ok and they can go to worlds. I'm delighted for the Shibs! They do have something special and finally the judges see it too. Who would have guessed they will beat C/P here? Ice dance became such an unpredictable event! I can't wait for them to go head to head again with I/K at worlds!

KKonas

Medalist

I'd love to closely scrutiny the Shibs' performance again to see what it is that they did warranted approx. 2 points ahead of C/P.

From my point of view having seen both teams live at Skate America, the Shibs are faster and more powerful skaters than Crone/Poirier.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Just over three points difference.

1.5 points came from base value. C/P seem to stick with the Serpentine step sequence even though it's consistently the hardest to score high levels on

There were a couple bobbles throughout. Paul seemed rushed in both footwork sequences, and truthfully, I can't tell if that's meant to be part of the choreography (it wasn't there before, but it happened enough times that you wondered if it was deliberate - if so, bad idea). While I would've scored them closer on PCS (I think the linking stuff C/P do is much more interesting and I prefer their interpretation and choreography), I can't really object to it - the Shibs are so at ease on the ice, whereas C/P don't demonstrate that (which is partially deliberate, but I'm not convinced it's entirely so).

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice

C/P and the Shibs both had all level 4s aside from 1 element each. The Shibs received a level 3 on their diagonal step sequence with a base of 6.60 and a GOE of 1.14 resulting in 7.64 points. Crone & Poirier received a level 2 on their Serpentine step sequence with a base value of 5.00 and a GOE of 1.29 resulting in 6.29 points. That is over a point right there. The Shibutanis also received slightly higher GOEs on their Spin and Straight Line Lift. In terms of PCS, the Shibutanis were scored .18 higher for skating skills, .32 higher for transitions, .14 higher for performance, .43 higher for choreography, and .32 higher for interpretation/timing.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I can really understand your concern re: not being able to secure 3 slots for Canada. But then who knows? Remember what a great competition C/P & W/P had at Nationals, knowing V/M would not be there? Both teams really brought their A games. It's a different mentality for C/P for them to go to worlds as the national champion or as the second fiddle of your federation.

Chances are good that both C/P & W/P would bring their A-games, knowing # of slots depend on their performances. Let's hope they step up.

Right, but that's always the case. If they bring their A-games, I'm not worried. W/P in particular are shooting for the last group after the SD with their program. But how often have both brought their A-games for an entire competition? W/P

P/I need the exposure - they're falling behind (not as far as Alessandrini/Vaturi, but far enough) and I'd like to see them again, though. It's a difficult decision when all we have is speculation.

shusterbutski

Rinkside
From what I've found out it seems as if Tessa's injury is unrelated to her surgery and they still plan to compete at Worlds.

icemusings

On the Ice

Thanks for checking it out. I actually use two computers so that helps a ton but makes my apartment look like a newsroom!

I'll be liveblogging the mens and ladies free skate as well provided the link still works.

I think the only reason there aren't a lot of comments on here about Davis and White is that they did their program really well. Which is how they've done all season. So there was really no surprise here. That being said, I think it was one of their better performances of this program and they were rewarded with a season's best.

Oh, dear, how sad about Tessa and Scott. What a relief that they were healthy last year, when it mattered the most. While I hope they skate until Sochi, they have an absolutely phenomenal Olympic performance and the resulting, well-deserved gold. Nothing can ever take that away.

Tessa's physical problems remind me of American track star Mary Decker. At one time, this gifted runner held every American record from I think the 400 on up (I can't remember, but middle distance was her specialty I believe), but some commentator once remarked that she was made of glass from the knees down. It's always a frustration when great talent is combined with excess fragility in an athlete.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Some thoughts on Crone & Poirier team chemistry

I think I finally begin to understand. There is something unsettling about this pair, and from what I read others' posts, people sense it, too. People say that they lack chemistry/relationship, and such, as if there's something wrong with their pairing.

When I find something that's unsettling, I stay with it, marinate in it until I become clear. Something really is wrong, metaphorically speaking!

To me, the image this couple create is a wicked witch/evil stepmother & the prince/stepson a la "Sleeping Beauty"! As such, they should not perform an intimate scene. Yikes. My guess is this is what many people sense (unconsiously) as unsettling.

In her own way, Vanessa has a striking feature, but hers are not of classical beauty. It's not a bad thing. Classical feature in many way is boring, and Vanessa can create something more unique and unforgetable. Tricky part is that Paul brings a clean cut Ivy league all around good boy image. Hence a wicked witch and a prince picture. Or think about the 1967 classic the Graduate acted in perfection by Dustin Hoffman & Ann Bankloft. You know, a sexly mature woman seducing a young college graduate!

In any case, they should, for once and all, forget about creating pricess/prince image. It's not them. I have so much more to say about this line of inquiry that I wonder if I should start a new thread.

Wicked witch/evil stepmother and Prince FD anyone?

Last edited:

beabstress

On the Ice
Some thoughts on Crone & Poirier team chemistry

In her own way, Vanessa has a striking feature, but hers are not of classical beauty. It's not a bad thing. Classical feature in many way is boring, and Vanessa can create something more unique and unforgetable. Tricky part is that Paul brings a clean cut Ivy league all around good boy image.

I thought this was a very interesting analysis. I picked out one small part of the quote I wanted to address (which isn't to say that the rest wasn't worth reading!).

What bothers me about most discussions of how Paul and Vanessa look "wrong" together is that these discussions always seem to focus on Vanessa--HER facial features, HER hair, HER costuming. Maybe it's PAUL who needs to put a more grown-up and a stronger image out there to match her! Why does SHE need to be the one to change?

Better yet, why does either one of them have to change? If they haven't found their perfect look or their perfect vehicle yet, so what?

And I think you were cutting them some needed slack, CARA, so thank you for that.

By the way, I think Vanessa is beautiful. If I looked like her, believe me--I wouldn't complain!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to all of the medalists. Meryl and Charlie and the Shibs were outstanding.

I was heartbroken for Tessa and Scott. Wishing her a speedy recovery and my fingers are crossed that
I will get to see their beautiful FD at Worlds.