Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - Free Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post

Oh, and thanks to Icemusings for the most detailed pbp I've ever seen. How on earth can you write all that and watch at the same time? Are you using a dictaphone?
    Thanks for checking it out. I actually use two computers so that helps a ton but makes my apartment look like a newsroom!

I'll be liveblogging the mens and ladies free skate as well provided the link still works.

I think the only reason there aren't a lot of comments on here about Davis and White is that they did their program really well. Which is how they've done all season. So there was really no surprise here. That being said, I think it was one of their better performances of this program and they were rewarded with a season's best.

Custom Title
    Oh, dear, how sad about Tessa and Scott. What a relief that they were healthy last year, when it mattered the most. While I hope they skate until Sochi, they have an absolutely phenomenal Olympic performance and the resulting, well-deserved gold. Nothing can ever take that away.

Tessa's physical problems remind me of American track star Mary Decker. At one time, this gifted runner held every American record from I think the 400 on up (I can't remember, but middle distance was her specialty I believe), but some commentator once remarked that she was made of glass from the knees down. It's always a frustration when great talent is combined with excess fragility in an athlete.

Custom Title
    Some thoughts on Crone & Poirier team chemistry

I think I finally begin to understand. There is something unsettling about this pair, and from what I read others' posts, people sense it, too. People say that they lack chemistry/relationship, and such, as if there's something wrong with their pairing.

When I find something that's unsettling, I stay with it, marinate in it until I become clear. Something really is wrong, metaphorically speaking!

To me, the image this couple create is a wicked witch/evil stepmother & the prince/stepson a la "Sleeping Beauty"! As such, they should not perform an intimate scene. Yikes. My guess is this is what many people sense (unconsiously) as unsettling.

In her own way, Vanessa has a striking feature, but hers are not of classical beauty. It's not a bad thing. Classical feature in many way is boring, and Vanessa can create something more unique and unforgetable. Tricky part is that Paul brings a clean cut Ivy league all around good boy image. Hence a wicked witch and a prince picture. Or think about the 1967 classic the Graduate acted in perfection by Dustin Hoffman & Ann Bankloft. You know, a sexly mature woman seducing a young college graduate!

In any case, they should, for once and all, forget about creating pricess/prince image. It's not them. I have so much more to say about this line of inquiry that I wonder if I should start a new thread.

Wicked witch/evil stepmother and Prince FD anyone?
    Last edited by CARA; 02-18-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post

In her own way, Vanessa has a striking feature, but hers are not of classical beauty. It's not a bad thing. Classical feature in many way is boring, and Vanessa can create something more unique and unforgetable. Tricky part is that Paul brings a clean cut Ivy league all around good boy image.
    I thought this was a very interesting analysis. I picked out one small part of the quote I wanted to address (which isn't to say that the rest wasn't worth reading!).

What bothers me about most discussions of how Paul and Vanessa look "wrong" together is that these discussions always seem to focus on Vanessa--HER facial features, HER hair, HER costuming. Maybe it's PAUL who needs to put a more grown-up and a stronger image out there to match her! Why does SHE need to be the one to change?

Better yet, why does either one of them have to change? If they haven't found their perfect look or their perfect vehicle yet, so what?

And I think you were cutting them some needed slack, CARA, so thank you for that.

By the way, I think Vanessa is beautiful. If I looked like her, believe me--I wouldn't complain!

Congratulations to all of the medalists. Meryl and Charlie and the Shibs were outstanding.

I was heartbroken for Tessa and Scott. Wishing her a speedy recovery and my fingers are crossed that
    I will get to see their beautiful FD at Worlds.

Custom Title
    I am really excited about what C/P can do. They can really play up the contrast, such as:

Conceptual piece - Good (Paul) & Evil (Vanessa);
    Angel (Paul) & demon (Vanessa);
    Black Swan (Vanessa) & Prince (Paul). Heck, the way Paul looks, he can even get away with being a "white swan!"

Those are just some of the examples. Possibilities are endless.

Rinkside
    yunafan1860 Thank you very much for the video! I cannot get any streams to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by yunafan1860 View Post
    You're welcome! here it is:

Virtue Moir FD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEadray4yhQ

Rinkside
    Does anyone have upload for Charlie and Meryl free dance ?

On the Ice
    This channel has the warm-up for the last group, Shibs and a longer version of V/M:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/titeno06

(Maybe the poster has recorded D/W too, someone with a youtube account should go and beg )

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I am really excited about what C/P can do. They can really play up the contrast, such as:

Conceptual piece - Good (Paul) & Evil (Vanessa);
    Angel (Paul) & demon (Vanessa);
    Black Swan (Vanessa) & Prince (Paul). Heck, the way Paul looks, he can even get away with being a "white swan!"

Those are just some of the examples. Possibilities are endless.
    You know, I've always wanted a pair to do Sorcerer's Apprentice--and they might be able to do it.

However, the other poster is right--Vanessa looks more mature than Paul. Perhaps it is he who needs to make himself more mature looking. I find the same with Paul and Islam. Islam and Poirier both have that babyface look, while their partners look like strong, beautiful women.

One dance that hasn't been portrayed that perhaps Crone and Poirier can do is Salome's Dance of the Seven Veils (before people say--it was Kwan's piece...well, Kristienne Gong and Mira Leung both tried to skate to it). She can play Salome, and he can be Jean Baptiste!

They could do "as long as you're mine" and "no good deed goes unpunished" from Wicked...I'm kind of kidding

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Thanks for the link, yunafan1860. I just watched the Shib sibs. Whoa Nellie. Pangtongfan predicted they could rival D/W by 2014. I see it happening much sooner - like next year. This team is just irresistible - and the Taiwanese crowd certainly "got" them. I pray they keep getting good material - not so easy for a brother-sister team.

Custom Title
    icemusings - your blog is fantastic!!! Thanks - I read the whole thing and felt as though I could see the performances!

congrats to the medalists! I cannot wait to see these - hope they pop up on youtube!

So, so, so sorry to hear about V/M - the little part we could see was so cool. I could see the twizzles were a bit off, but I loved the circular pattern. And, I have to say this, I loved Tessa's dress (Scott always looks great too).

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    ZOMG I hope Tessa is 100% SOON! What we got to see of this FD was amazing to me, loved the simple costumes that let you see their every move, loved what to me (with some but very limited dance knowledge/experience) looked to be real Latin flavor to the dance and correct timing of the moves to the rhythm, and just seeing these two do something so riveting again (personally I was getting a little hohum about their "romantic" programs, jmo) -- this team MUST get 100% and wow us for for many seasons to come! Tessa is such a trooper, when they started you couldn't tell anything was amiss -- again, just such a trooper. Get well, Tessa, get well soon!

Rinkside

Wicked witch/evil stepmother and Prince FD anyone?
    Wow this is not Toddlers and Tiaras.... to compare Vanessa to an evil witch and Paul as the Prince is hugely disrespectful and quite frankly mean. Paul and Vanessa have proven themselves to be world class ranked ice dancers for many years now. They bring the best they can to every competition. They train hard - and they work hard. They get better every year and learn from the mistakes they make. They are both very smart - they listen and they learn. They do not whine about the judges or make excuses if they do not compete well or if they do not get the marks they want. They are always supportive of their teammates and do not speak ill of those who are lower ranked. In addition they are both very nice young people. Not to mention they are both quite attractive

To put it plainly they put the CLASS in World Class......

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast