Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Ice Dance - Free Dance

Custom Title
    This is a great thread - I still have tons to read! I was just wondering, though, if there have been any updates on Vanessa's condition? I still haven't seen D/W SD or FD but cannot wait!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    This is a great thread - I still have tons to read! I was just wondering, though, if there have been any updates on Vanessa's condition? I still haven't seen D/W SD or FD but cannot wait!!!!!
    What's wrong with Vanessa?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Maybe she means Tessa??? There was a phone interview, aired on Canadian TV, AFAIR, where they said that it was a muscle strain unrelated to her surgery, and that she had had concerns about it before embarking for Taipei, but had hoped to be able to complete the competition but wasn't able to.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Maybe she means Tessa??? There was a phone interview, aired on Canadian TV, AFAIR, where they said that it was a muscle strain unrelated to her surgery, and that she had had concerns about it before embarking for Taipei, but had hoped to be able to complete the competition but wasn't able to.
    What scares me the most is the way Tessa is trying to downplay her injury / pain whatever. She seems to have not talk about it even to her coaches, most likely only to Scott, if that at all.
    She tries to skate through them. I know what a fierce and determined young lady is hiding behind that angelic face of her, but she has to be more mature and responsible with her health.
    Sometime (actually most of the time) you cannot fight biology and you will pay for trying it.

On another note, i have not posted much after their withdrawal, I was simply too distracted by the fact and lost in my thoughts. Beside the regret of not seeing the FD, which started with some fantastic opening (aside the bobble on the tiwzzle not related to the choreography which I was interested to see) then Weaver / Poje's inability to hold it together when the window was opened, was enough to send me mourning.

Ahh. Mourning is definitely appropriate under the circumstances.

Custom Title
    Sorry, I of course did mean Tessa - shouldn't read this thread, try to work, answer the phone, and post all at once.

And I feel for all of the W/P fans!!

Custom Title
    A tuff cookie like Tessa wouldnt stop if something was a BIT off. I think something popped and she knew she HAD to stop. She probably knows her body really well and knows what the really bad signs are. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    A tuff cookie like Tessa wouldnt stop if something was a BIT off. I think something popped and she knew she HAD to stop. She probably knows her body really well and knows what the really bad signs are. I wish her a speedy recovery.
    ok.. so i've held off saying this... I love Tessa and Scott...and hope she is physically well... but has anyone actually thought that this was the plan all along... like maybe just go out and do the short...or maybe because of the errors early in the FD ... she thought I'd better bail now.... please don't yell... just asking everyones opinion....

Custom Title
    .... 20 hour flight one-way w/ massive amounts of jet lag just to do the SD? Dealing with loss of training time, not getting a program out in a competitive setting? Unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Rinkside
    ya but the SD is the wildcard... the one u need the feedback on.................
    Last edited by fan1961; 02-21-2011 at 08:46 PM.

It's impossible to say. If Tessa & Scott were strapped for cash, it would be crazy. But as far as I can tell they're not, and Igor had so many teams at 4CC's that the tariff for shipping, housing & feeding a coach would not be prohibitive.

However, IMO it would have been easier and cheaper to do a Senior B with Marina and Andreev & Khokhlova in Europe if all they wanted was international feedback on the SD. Likewise, the judging while perhaps a bit inflated would have been a better take on what European judges would give the program.

I think she had managed to skate through pain before and thought she could do it again. And couldn't, or found she didn't want to take the risk for 4CC's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    However, IMO it would have been easier and cheaper to do a Senior B with Marina and Andreev & Khokhlova in Europe if all they wanted was international feedback on the SD. Likewise, the judging while perhaps a bit inflated would have been a better take on what European judges would give the program.
    Except a Senior B competition will most likely consist of International Judges who don't have ISU Championships credential and therefore, will not be the ones at the World Championship. Their feedback will not be as practical as the ones from 4CC even though only one of the 9 judges was actually European (Russian).

I think she had managed to skate through pain before and thought she could do it again. And couldn't, or found she didn't want to take the risk for 4CC's.
    I think that's the most likely explanation although I also get the impression that the injury is more serious than what they are telling us. It is never a good idea to tell the whole world you are injured because they might just end up perceiving everything you do as an injured athlete = subpar. It wouldn't surprise me they are downplaying her injury, whatever it is.

Custom Title
    Speaking cynically here, if they only wanted SD feedback they'd have withdrawn after the SD, citing the flu or some other circumstance. Bailing during the FD makes no sense as a strategy. It just reinforces the notion of an injury, which they would want to downplay, if anything.

I am not a cynic. They have soldiered on through difficult circumstances in the past, not acknowledging any problems. Now that the Olympics are over, though, Tessa may be more willing to acknowledge pain or stop because of it. I believe that Tessa experienced pain during the FD and felt unable to continue, or felt it unwise (in the sense of risking worse injury). I hope that this is truly a minor injury (not something worse).

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by fan1961 View Post
    ok.. so i've held off saying this... I love Tessa and Scott...and hope she is physically well... but has anyone actually thought that this was the plan all along... like maybe just go out and do the short...or maybe because of the errors early in the FD ... she thought I'd better bail now.... please don't yell... just asking everyones opinion....
    That thought has crossed my mind. With the errors, they may have felt they were kind of out of 1st anyway.

Watching 4CC on TV, I was a bit taken aback to see D/W skating to a slow Puccini Waltz and then a grand Verdi Waltz. It seems they were saying, we can do what V/M do. It doesn't work for me. I prefer their dramatics and they should have brought a bit of sadness to the Puccini. The Verdi was fine but didn't overwhelm me.

Loved the Shibs and their Carousel Waltz.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15