Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - Free Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    They still plan on competing at Worlds, (source) but I suspect we won't hear otherwise until much closer to the event, should that change.
    I don't know...of course it's not up to me, but I wonder if Tessa might be better off just call the season off and really focus on letting her legs heal completely. I also wonder given a bit shaky performance of W/P, would the Canadian ice skating better off in the long run by giving V/M's spot to P/I this year? P/I could sure use experience and exposure. Just saying...

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Did I miss something? Not a single comment here on the Gold medalists' performance? Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Any links to Shibs or D/W?

I hope Tessa is OK. That was a wonderful program, just a joy to watch. They and the Shibs have that quality in common - both enchant the viewer! Meryl and Charlie seem intellectual and effortful by comparison.

Oh, and thanks to Icemusings for the most detailed pbp I've ever seen. How on earth can you write all that and watch at the same time? Are you using a dictaphone?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I hope Tessa is OK. That was a wonderful program, just a joy to watch. They and the Shibs have that quality in common - both enchant the viewer! Meryl and Charlie seem intellectual and effortful by comparison.

Let's hope it is a pulled muscle which requires a bit of rest and gradual exercises once the pain is gone. I've got to see that entire FD which shows proper skating to a carribbean rhythm.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    I don't know...of course it's not up to me, but I wonder if Tessa might be better off just call the season off and really focus on letting her legs heal completely. I also wonder given a bit shaky performance of W/P, would the Canadian ice skating better off in the long run by giving V/M's spot to P/I this year? P/I could sure use experience and exposure. Just saying...
    I was thinking that. But here's the thing: if Canada loses the third spot, P/I lose the chance at future experience/exposure (presuming they don't leap up the standings next year) anyway. Right now, if I was in SC's shoes, I'd be making sure P/I are absolutely prepared for Worlds right up to booking the plane tickets.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Did I miss something? Not a single comment here on the Gold medalists' performance? Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Any links to Shibs or D/W?

Oh, and thanks to Icemusings for the most detailed pbp I've ever seen. How on earth can you write all that and watch at the same time? Are you using a dictaphone?
    I mentioned it only briefly, but D/W clearly brought it. Difficult, interesting stuff and they're starting to add the emotional shadings they've struggled with.

Custom Title
    Yes, I'd love to watch D/W & the Shibs' videos if someone could upload them?

I'd love to closely scrutiny the Shibs' performance again to see what it is that they did warranted approx. 2 points ahead of C/P.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Just catching up. Oh man, that was so sad. And I agree with everyone that the program was wonderful, different but so natural at the same time. Usually when ice dancers try percussion they go over the top but not V/M.

Looking forward to seeing D/W and the Shibs when I can.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I was thinking that. But here's the thing: if Canada loses the third spot, P/I lose the chance at future experience/exposure (presuming they don't leap up the standings next year) anyway. Right now, if I was in SC's shoes, I'd be making sure P/I are absolutely prepared for Worlds right up to booking the plane tickets.
    I can really understand your concern re: not being able to secure 3 slots for Canada. But then who knows? Remember what a great competition C/P & W/P had at Nationals, knowing V/M would not be there? Both teams really brought their A games. It's a different mentality for C/P for them to go to worlds as the national champion or as the second fiddle of your federation.

Chances are good that both C/P & W/P would bring their A-games, knowing # of slots depend on their performances. Let's hope they step up.

Custom Title
    I'm so sorry for V/M! I hope she's ok and they can go to worlds. I'm delighted for the Shibs! They do have something special and finally the judges see it too. Who would have guessed they will beat C/P here? Ice dance became such an unpredictable event! I can't wait for them to go head to head again with I/K at worlds!

Custom Title

I'd love to closely scrutiny the Shibs' performance again to see what it is that they did warranted approx. 2 points ahead of C/P.
    From my point of view having seen both teams live at Skate America, the Shibs are faster and more powerful skaters than Crone/Poirier.

Custom Title
    Just over three points difference.

1.5 points came from base value. C/P seem to stick with the Serpentine step sequence even though it's consistently the hardest to score high levels on

There were a couple bobbles throughout. Paul seemed rushed in both footwork sequences, and truthfully, I can't tell if that's meant to be part of the choreography (it wasn't there before, but it happened enough times that you wondered if it was deliberate - if so, bad idea). While I would've scored them closer on PCS (I think the linking stuff C/P do is much more interesting and I prefer their interpretation and choreography), I can't really object to it - the Shibs are so at ease on the ice, whereas C/P don't demonstrate that (which is partially deliberate, but I'm not convinced it's entirely so).

C/P and the Shibs both had all level 4s aside from 1 element each. The Shibs received a level 3 on their diagonal step sequence with a base of 6.60 and a GOE of 1.14 resulting in 7.64 points. Crone & Poirier received a level 2 on their Serpentine step sequence with a base value of 5.00 and a GOE of 1.29 resulting in 6.29 points. That is over a point right there. The Shibutanis also received slightly higher GOEs on their Spin and Straight Line Lift. In terms of PCS, the Shibutanis were scored .18 higher for skating skills, .32 higher for transitions, .14 higher for performance, .43 higher for choreography, and .32 higher for interpretation/timing.

Custom Title
    I can really understand your concern re: not being able to secure 3 slots for Canada. But then who knows? Remember what a great competition C/P & W/P had at Nationals, knowing V/M would not be there? Both teams really brought their A games. It's a different mentality for C/P for them to go to worlds as the national champion or as the second fiddle of your federation.

Chances are good that both C/P & W/P would bring their A-games, knowing # of slots depend on their performances. Let's hope they step up.
    Right, but that's always the case. If they bring their A-games, I'm not worried. W/P in particular are shooting for the last group after the SD with their program. But how often have both brought their A-games for an entire competition? W/P

P/I need the exposure - they're falling behind (not as far as Alessandrini/Vaturi, but far enough) and I'd like to see them again, though. It's a difficult decision when all we have is speculation.

Tripping on the Podium
    From what I've found out it seems as if Tessa's injury is unrelated to her surgery and they still plan to compete at Worlds.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast