Men's Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
The commentators find Kevin just adorable, like a skating doll.

His face is as cute as Rachael Flatt's.

Really disappointed in the results for the Canadian men. Hopefully we start to see some of the juniors step up next season because after Patrick the depth on the Canadians Mens side is really weak.

But so many have denied this fact when the "Canadian Hersh" pointed it out.;)

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Shawn can move up if he brings it in the FS. To get a 65 when he doubled his 3A is quite impressive.

I know last year doesn't have that much to do with this year, but last year he was behind after the short program and then had an amazing FS. I think he generally does better in the FS although he has had some good shorts.

shusterbutski

Rinkside
Would be great if Shawn could have a solid FS, and technically Kevin could jump up quite a few spots if he can land his big jumps. I'm certainly not counting them out but they aren't carrying a lot of momentum with them into the FS. For me the real disappointment is with Kevin Reynolds, he had such an exciting season debut but since then he hasn't looked competitive at all. With that said if he's going to have one strong FS this year might as well be this competition and if he can pull that off I'll be pretty excited.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Both Reynolds and Rippon made the big splash at the biggining of the season and went down from there. Kozuka is uneven whereas Oda keeps finding ways to step down to the Silver. The strong competitors, Chan and Takahashi, work to peak at Worlds.

Can't wait to see how all of them bring their games to the slippery ice of Tokyo.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Wow glad to see Dai back on top! I though his SP score is a little low, and should have been in mid 80s range, but a clean one is a start. Dai really need to run away with this title and prove the judges that why he is the defending world champ. Another bad FS and he will be falling off the radar with the judges.

Hanyu skate is very refreshing and the kid def has the talent. Good thing is he has time on his side, and can improve alot by Sochi and could be the future of Japanese wonder kid. He is only 16 and has stigma issue, but i think it will improve with seasons and once he build up more muscle mass and strength. Too bad for the shaky landing on the 3F, other wise his score could go close to 80s.

Kazuko really needs to step it up, and come up big in the FS. He def has the capability to pull the highest FS score. But at least, he mess up the program here instead of in Tokyo where it will be more costly.

Too bad this is Jeremy last competition. I hope he at least go home with a medal. I hope Dai, Jeremy and Hanyu hang on to the podium in the same order.

treeloving

Medalist
Yeah!!!! I'm so glad that Yuzuru get this high scores, I hope he will not get nervous tomorrow and medal.

If there is nothing wrong, I will have a chance see him live tomorrow :yay:

QUOTE=wonderlen3000;551451]
Hanyu skate is very refreshing and the kid def has the talent. Good thing is he has time on his side, and can improve alot by Sochi and could be the future of Japanese wonder kid. He is only 16 and has stigma issue, but i think it will improve with seasons and once he build up more muscle mass and strength. Too bad for the shaky landing on the 3F, other wise his score could go close to 80s.

QUOTE]

He always take off wrong eges Filp, but it seems he or his coach want to keep it in the short program instead of changing to other jump.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thank you for the link. Do you happen to know if it'll work for mac? We have to download that .exe program, right?

Someone said earlier in this thread that it didn't work for mac.

You have to download on pc and it works from explorer. Great quality.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Rippon's SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XTAoDVSGq4

His triple axel wasn't downgraded. He got 5.5 points for that element.

Armin's 3A was downgraded, and he got 5.43 points for that element.

This system is really wacky to award more points for an obvious flawed element (not counting the -1 deduction)

Yuzuru needs to drop his 3F in the short program and put the 3R in. He will always get that e call vs. getting positive GOE for his 3R. 2 points difference right there. He could beat Dai's TES.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Rippon's SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XTAoDVSGq4

His triple axel wasn't downgraded. He got 5.5 points for that element.

Armin's 3A was downgraded, and he got 5.43 points for that element.

This system is really wacky to award more points for an obvious flawed element (not counting the -1 deduction).

Well, I think the system is correct on this one. More revolutions in the air is such a difficult thing to do. It's not pretty pretty though. But it's not all about pretty positions and styles. There are some excitement in this sport as well.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Yeah!!!! I'm so glad that Yuzuru get this high scores, I hope he will not get nervous tomorrow and medal.

He always land wrong eges Filp, but it seems he or his coach want to keep it in the short program instead of changing to other jump.

Under current rules, edge call on Flip is not that costly, as skaters can sub with 3Loop in the SP, as both jump are only 0.2 difference. LP program is different thou, but if you have two solid 3As and two true Lutzs + a quad, it doesn't matter.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Well, I think the system is correct on this one. More revolutions in the air is such a difficult thing to do. It's not pretty pretty though. But it's not all about pretty positions and styles. There are some excitement in this sport as well.

But Rippon's 3A looks short on revolution as well. If anything, their revolution are about 2-5 degree difference. So how does one get more points for just a bit more rotated & falling and stumbling? :think:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Under current rules, edge call on Flip is not that costly, as skaters can sub with 3Loop in the SP, as both jump are only 0.2 difference. LP program is different thou, but if you have two solid 3As and two true Lutzs + a quad, it doesn't matter.

edge call on flip is costly in the SP.
You can get -1 GOE on the flip vs. +1 GOE on the loop. So there's your 2 points difference in TES.

edge call on flip isn't costly in the LP.

More revolutions in the air is difficult, but I believe in order to earn the credit of a jump, a proper take-off and landing should be included. That's what Senior competition is all about. You can tell, I'm not fond of partial credit especially at the Senior Level.