Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Short Program

I just watched some of the programs..

Akiko and Rachael were the highlights for me. I'm still sad Akiko's not going to Worlds. Mirai was pretty good as well, and of course Miki. This new SP is better than the one she was using at the beginning of the season, but it's still a little lackluster for me.

Cynthia looked uncomfortable as soon as she got on the ice, and through the program too. It sucks that she fell on the lutz (and that Alissa did too), but she and Alissa are still in good positions going into the FS.

It was good to see Mao not singling jumps, but she's still not back where she was last year.

Custom Title
    Most of the SPs are up on YouTube except Mirai's, for some reason.

Those kvetching about Ando's scores need to can it. I don't normally like her skating, but she was clearly the best here. The jumps were fab and everything else looked really crisp. Mao looked sharp and focused but the jumps were half-heartedly done. Rachael was satisfactory, but we know this is about the best she can do even when clean.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post

Those kvetching about Ando's scores need to can it. I don't normally like her skating, but she was clearly the best here. The jumps were fab and everything else looked really crisp. Mao looked sharp and focused but the jumps were half-heartedly done. Rachael was satisfactory, but we know this is about the best she can do even when clean.
    People are complaining about Miki? Whatever. She was far and away the best last night. I liked her new SP and I thought she showed more softness and lyricism than utual. She was terrific.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Thanks to everyone for the pbps and comments. I"m glad to see there's such a strong little night owl community. I'm normally one too but last night I just evaporated.

So happy to see the new Miki -- the soft, feminine look, the haunting music, and the program all came together for her this season - and the arm-flailing (which I actually liked until it turned up in all her programs) is gone. Put that together with her incredible technique and you have a beautiful champion. I loved the smile when she landed the 2A. I also love her camel spin (however brief!) - she's one of the few to do it with perfect line and a totally straight standing knee. Do NOT understand her sad demeanor in the K&C, it certainly didn't seem to be Morozov's message.

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post

If anyone finds Mirai's can the post a link? Miki looks like she believes in this program in the same way Rachel looks like she believes in hers more than the previous SP. Miki just skated it lights out from a power perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn Rant View Post
    And I used to hang out at Rockaway Beach. Nor Cal represent!
    I LOVE NorCal! Especially Nevada County area... Grass Valley is the best!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Rachaels new SP is much nicer. Too bad she still has that godawful LP. And I dont think hardly anyone talks about Rachael being overscored generally. Nationals this year was about the only time some people thought she was gifted. Usually she isnt scored with much genororisity.

Miki Ando is a whole other story altogether. However this year is a whole new level of score inflation. She is the Patrick Chan of womens skating minus all the brilliance of Chan who falls aside is clearly the best skater in the World today otherwise, which Ando amongst her gender certainly is not.
    She was gifted this year at Nationals?
    Miki improved so much. Her jumps remind me of Irina. Good for her.

I would put Miki first, Rachael second, Mao third, Mirai 4th, Alissa 5th.

My thoughts on the Ladies:

- Miki's performance was my favorite, boy did she shine beautifully skated and executed
    program.

- Loved Mirai SP even tho she got dinged on her jumps.

- I thought Rachael's performance was quite lovely. Much improved since Nationals, glad
    she toned down the flailing in her footwork section.

- I always love Mao's skating but her SP imo lacked her sparkle, I miss that from Mao.

- Chelzie, loved her costume I enjoyed her and also Kwak's programs a lot, I think they
    both did a decent job.

Alissa and Akiko did not have their best performance but I am sure they will be bringing their A game for the FS.

Wishing all of the Ladies good luck tonight.

Custom Title
    Today, I think each of the girls got the scores they deserved. People need to get off Miki's back. She skated clean which in figure skating is a major part of the score and it is what wins title and earns you good scores. No matter if you accept it or not, that how is goes. The second part is the PCS and being ARTISTIC is not the only way to get a high score in this part. A great skate, like the one Miki skated, earns a high PCS. She has been skating clean in the long and the scores have shown it and now the scores are showing in the short program. She might not be Kim, but she is a champion. She is finally showing it and just because you don't like the fact that she is skating amazing, earning great scores, and winning, it doesn't mean you can bash on her.

Custom Title
    What I liked best about Miki's program is her solid, fluid-like jumps and her effort to be more lyrical. Aside from that, "Gabriel's Oboe" is beautiful music but she still skates sort of mechanical to it.The program is front loaded with jumps and choreographically it does nothing to highlight or showcase the beauty of the oboe's chords. A program does not just consist of a pretty song, a pretty dress, and jumps. But oh well, if it's working for Miki... She still deserved to be first though, imo. But I would probably switch Mao and Rachael. I did not see Alissa's program but with a fall, I felt that maybe Akiko should have been above her even though she didn't skate that well either. But Alissa also gets heavy GOE on her non-jump elements, so it more than makes up for it.

I think Rachael has lost some weight and it looks great. The girl is serious. More power to her. I like this Rachael - she is really selling it. Overselling it in the fw section, IMO, but still, a big improvement.

Also, is it possible she redid her dress in a lighter yellow? Or is it just a different light? At US Nats it looked gold, here more lemony. I like it much better.

I wasn't able to watch this but I just want to say what a pleasure its been to read the last few posts & the complimentary points they've made about the girls. I hate reading the snarky, negative remarks by posters who can't appreciate the dedication & hard work all the competitors put into their programs & doing their best.

Hey, the replay on Justin TV stops before Cheltzie and Mirai. Anywhere else to see Mirai?

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Hey, the replay on Justin TV stops before Cheltzie and Mirai. Anywhere else to see Mirai?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8I0ugtyJiQ

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8I0ugtyJiQ

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast