Ladies Short Program | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
When Michelle Kwan "sold it" in the footwork it was called passion. Yet when Rachael "lights it up" in her foorwork sequence, it is called flailing? I think Rachael is doing a phenomenal job and that much commitment to performance should be rewarded in my opinion.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I also pointed the improvements with this new short. I just feel like the footwork section is kind of random and well spastic.

wallylutz

Medalist
- Miki Ando was impressive in this SP, she certainly improved her over skating aside from jumps compared to last year. Precision used to be her weakness, now, it's starting to become a strength of hers

- Mao Asada disappointed me a little with her SP skate. Not so much on the miss of her 3A, but she seemed to be somewhat lacking in energy and enthusiasm. I also thought she could have sold the Tango a little more, which is generally performed with more feisty expression and movements whereas she wasn't quite there yet. Also, I like to see her to pay more attention to her in-between elements, which she continues to ignore for the most part.

- Rachael Flatt was impressive as well, this program really suited her. She related to her music and sold it well. Mission is a passionate piece of music and her interpretation, whether you like her style or not, delivers passion in her own way. Overall, I thought she was smooth, relaxed and not trying too hard. The 3F+2T combo as opposed to the 3-3 may not be such a bad idea because she maintains a flowing program that is clean. I like to see Rachael improve her SS a little more. In that, I want to see her attacking her program with more power and better speed, which still looks laborious at times. My assessment is that she would be ahead of Mao Asada in the SP in my book, though the lead would have been by merely 1 point so I have no problem that the panel chose to give the edge to Mao by about the same margin, it's called legitimate difference in opinion.

- Mirai Nagasu demonstrated tremendous talent that still needs more work and polish. She continues to have issues with her jumps even when they appear to be clean. The rest of her technical elements were solid though her biggest issue in my opinion is to be able to create a strong impression with a suitable music that would make her memorable. To do that, she needs to differentiate herself by choosing something she can relate to better than what she currently have. Big grin is nice but to go to the next level, the expression needs to convey the music better than just smiling during the program so that expression, facial, body and everything becomes a genuine part of the performance as opposed to something you have to do because it's required. She should also pay more attention to her transitions because other girls are still doing more than she does right now

- Alissa Czisny had a bad day. She was cautious and didn't attack enough in her jumps or her performance. She will need to be more "aggressive" and commanding in her skating in order to sell her programs to their potential. Aside from that, her spins continued to lead the field and provides some nice cushion for her even when her jumps failed. Though, if she wants to medal here and at Worlds, she will need to skate like the new Alissa.

wallylutz

Medalist
Please don't insult Patrick Chan. ;P

The poster you quoted is known to have some unexplained obsession re: Patrick Chan and not in a good way. It appears, Miki Ando is the target in the ladies field, again, for some unexplained reason or lack of. I think most people here have learned to ignore those outbursts by now.

ibauer

Rinkside
I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I also pointed the improvements with this new short. I just feel like the footwork section is kind of random and well spastic.

It doesn't seem to go with the rest of the program, although it seemed less jarring here than at Nationals. But maybe that's just because I knew it was coming.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
What makes you think that? Can you elaborate?

Yes please do explain what you mean by this, I'm curious. I find it quite refreshing to see the full upper body used in the step sequence which is normally limited to the waist down. I come from a dance background and that is the viewpoint from which I look at skating. So from my experience, the use of the full body, including arm movements, is the way that we show passion and engagement with the music as dancers. I think Rachael is executing this brilliantly. I understand that as a performer, she is not many people's cup of tea but I think you also have to give credit where credit is due. Miki Ando normally does nothing for me, but even I will admit that she did a wonderful job in the short program last night.

Layfan

Record Breaker
- Miki Ando was impressive in this SP, she certainly improved her over skating aside from jumps compared to last year. Precision used to be her weakness, now, it's starting to become a strength of hers

- Mao Asada disappointed me a little with her SP skate. Not so much on the miss of her 3A, but she seemed to be somewhat lacking in energy and enthusiasm. I also thought she could have sold the Tango a little more, which is generally performed with more feisty expression and movements whereas she wasn't quite there yet. Also, I like to see her to pay more attention to her in-between elements, which she continues to ignore for the most part.

- Rachael Flatt was impressive as well, this program really suited her. She related to her music and sold it well. Mission is a passionate piece of music and her interpretation, whether you like her style or not, delivers passion in her own way. Overall, I thought she was smooth, relaxed and not trying too hard. The 3F+2T combo as opposed to the 3-3 may not be such a bad idea because she maintains a flowing program that is clean. I like to see Rachael improve her SS a little more. In that, I want to see her attacking her program with more power and better speed, which still looks laborious at times. My assessment is that she would be ahead of Mao Asada in the SP in my book, though the lead would have been by merely 1 point so I have no problem that the panel chose to give the edge to Mao by about the same margin, it's called legitimate difference in opinion.

- Mirai Nagasu demonstrated tremendous talent that still needs more work and polish. She continues to have issues with her jumps even when they appear to be clean. The rest of her technical elements were solid though her biggest issue in my opinion is to be able to create a strong impression with a suitable music that would make her memorable. To do that, she needs to differentiate herself by choosing something she can relate to better than what she currently have. Big grin is nice but to go to the next level, the expression needs to convey the music better than just smiling during the program so that expression, facial, body and everything becomes a genuine part of the performance as opposed to something you have to do because it's required. She should also pay more attention to her transitions because other girls are still doing more than she does right now

- Alissa Czisny had a bad day. She was cautious and didn't attack enough in her jumps or her performance. She will need to be more "aggressive" and commanding in her skating in order to sell her programs to their potential. Aside from that, her spins continued to lead the field and provides some nice cushion for her even when her jumps failed. Though, if she wants to medal here and at Worlds, she will need to skate like the new Alissa.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said about Mirai, very interesting assessment.

As soon as Alissa started skating I thought oh, she looks a bit slow and cautious. I know she's not known for her speed anyway but she seemed more tentative than she has been. Still, overall, I was so relieved that she recovered from her fall and thought to add the combo to her flip. I hope she's at least pleased about that and that it doesn't rattle her for tonight. This is what I would be telling her if I were Yuka and Jason...

Last edited:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
What makes you think that? Can you elaborate?

I think it is her arm movements. To me it just doesn't fit the music. I think she puts too much into it with her arms, her footwork and speed are great but her arms take away from it.

I also wanted to add that her extension is much improved as well. Her catch foot spin looks do much better than it did earlier in the season.

Last edited:

ibauer

Rinkside
It will be interesting to see how Alissa fares tonight. The fact that she had the presence of mind and determination to get a combination in despite the fall makes me cautiously optimistic. The old Alissa probably would have messed up the flip as well, and consequently buried herself in the standings.

I understand that as a performer, she [Rachael] is not many people's cup of tea but I think you also have to give credit where credit is due. Miki Ando normally does nothing for me, but even I will admit that she did a wonderful job in the short program last night.
Actually if you judge sheerly by crowd reaction, even that of the Taiwanese who probably don't care much about US champions, Rachael gets a very good response. Certainly this new SP does it for most people. It's the more fanatical or knowledgeable fans who are giving her a hard time. She's not been a favorite of mine since she was about 14, but I give her huge points for what looks like a new determination to improve in every aspect. I hope she can keep it coming.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
When Michelle Kwan "sold it" in the footwork it was called passion. Yet when Rachael "lights it up" in her foorwork sequence, it is called flailing? I think Rachael is doing a phenomenal job and that much commitment to performance should be rewarded in my opinion.

Rachael simply does not move her arms and her body as well as Kwan did. Period.

Well, that, and CoP footwork is often a shame in general. I admire her energy, and the spread eagle in the footwork is a great highlight, but overall it's a bit incongruous and overlong.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

Well, that, and CoP footwork is often a shame in general. I admire her energy, and the spread eagle in the footwork is a great highlight, but overall it's a bit incongruous and overlong.

Very well stated:)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Actually if you judge sheerly by crowd reaction, even that of the Taiwanese who probably don't care much about US champions, Rachael gets a very good response.

Actually, the crowd consists of mostly Japanese fans coming in on chartered flights. They were not around for Pairs, Dance, and even earlier groups of Men and Ladies. In any case, the attendance improved on the weekend for the final flights of LPs. Taiwanese don't seem so tempted by the free admissions, especially on week days.

Canadian arenas, in contrast, seem packed for most skating events .

World Championships in Tokyo, of course, has long been sold out. It's going to be crazy.

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Actually, the crowd consists of mostly Japanese fans coming in on chartered flights. They were not around for Pairs, Dance, and even earlier groups of Men and Ladies. In any case, the attendance improved on the weekend for the final flights of LPs. Taiwanese don't seem so tempted by the free admissions, especially on week days.

Canadian arenas, in contrast, seem packed for most skating events .

Taiwan is also a tropical island with little to do with anything that's a winter sports event...Canada, on the other hand, well... exact opposite. :laugh:

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Very well stated indeed. That's the beauty of figure skating, its all open to interpretation. I actually think the choreography and execution of Rachael's short program are a stroke of genius, but then we are all allowed to have our own opinions.

lavender

Record Breaker

This is totally my feelings.

lavender

Record Breaker
It looks as if Rachel Flatt has proven to everyone that she is better than Mirai Nagasu (and its not just a "Nationals" thing).

I don't think she has proven this to hardly anyone. Mirai needs to work on her jumps but if both Mirai and Rachel were on Mirai comes out ahead. Actually Mirai comes out ahead in every aspect right now but jumps. There's a good reason why even with Rachel's much improve short program (which I like better than Mirai) Mirai still beats her in pcs.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Very well stated indeed. That's the beauty of figure skating, its all open to interpretation. I actually think the choreography and execution of Rachael's short program are a stroke of genius, but then we are all allowed to have our own opinions.

For a CoP program and Rachael's abilities, I do think the program is relatively excellent. The only thing I would change is the order of the jumps. She should do her Double Axel at the start of the program because it's her weakest jump and doesn't serve as a strong highlight later in the program, where it currently is. Putting the Double Axel up front allows that move to just set a gentle tone (appropriate for the music) and let her build up to the combination jump. And then the solo Triple can come later in the program and act as a proper highlight.