Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
Results 406 to 420 of 446

Thread: Ladies Short Program

  1. #406
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Thanks to everyone for the Mirai links!!

  2. #407
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Mirai needs to be a stronger competitor like Ando or Flatt or should will never realize her full potential. Also her work ethic is questionable since she didn't seem to be in the kind of shape heading into Nationals that she should have been. And lastly she needs to start rotating her jumps. It's getting to be a habit. Frank isn't the problem. It's time for her to grow up and start taking her skating career seriously.
    AT least people think Mirai has it in her to be at the top. if she were a different skater - hcek even if she were Rachael or Alissa - people would probably be applauding her bronze medal at nationals and her fourth place finsh last night. Great expectations are tough. She needs to learn to deal with them. Or maybe we really do just expect too much from her.

  3. #408
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,240
    Sometimes it is easy to forget how young some of the skaters are. Heck when I was Mirai's age the only thing that was
    on my mind was juggling all my senior activities, getting into a good college and the prom. I can just imagine the pressure
    these kids are under in this sport. Some handle it better than others.

  4. #409
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,672
    Mirai's face after she skated said it all--a look of wry amusement. She knew she hadn't skated well, but she didn't particularly care. Too bad. She has the talent, but she is frittering it away through her lack of seriousness and resistance to doing the hard work it takes to be a top skater.

  5. #410
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    890
    I watched the top 5 on you tube, here's what I think:

    Miki: beautiful dress, great program! You can tell she has been working on the artistry. Very deserving of 1st place.

    Mao: loved the new dress suits her so much better than the bra looking dress! Aside from the 3A the program was nicely done!

    Rachel: I agree that she does look like she has lost some weight. Her jumps are the best they have been all season. She has also worked on her catch foot spin, still not the greatest but a lot better than it was! Overall a good program despite the spastic footwork.

    Mirai: such a charmer! Bad luck on the lutz though:( I think being 4th is going to give her the fire she needs for the long, she can medal here but she has to tackle the mental demons.

    Alyssa: despite the fall a truly beautiful program. I am loving the fact that she didn't unravel after the fall. She is a lot tougher this season mentally and it shows.

  6. #411
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    193
    Mirai is a nice skater but her music this season is Zzzzzz. Too bad the judges were alert enough to still give her downgrades.

  7. #412
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Mirai's face after she skated said it all--a look of wry amusement. She knew she hadn't skated well, but she didn't particularly care. Too bad. She has the talent, but she is frittering it away through her lack of seriousness and resistance to doing the hard work it takes to be a top skater.
    I'm pretty sure she's just taking a moment to get out of character, since she's had similar expressions at the end of her feisty SP in previous competitions (although not as obvious) and she doesn't in her FS.

    Don't be too quick to project negative attributes to young skaters we barely know.

  8. #413
    Its funny how people are so quick to pick Rachael apart even when she skates very well, yet they are so quick to hold up Mirai based on her "potential" when she fails to deliver.

  9. #414
    When Michelle Kwan "sold it" in the footwork it was called passion. Yet when Rachael "lights it up" in her foorwork sequence, it is called flailing? I think Rachael is doing a phenomenal job and that much commitment to performance should be rewarded in my opinion.

  10. #415
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    When Michelle Kwan "sold it" in the footwork it was called passion. Yet when Rachael "lights it up" in her foorwork sequence, it is called flailing? I think Rachael is doing a phenomenal job and that much commitment to performance should be rewarded in my opinion.
    Agreed! I think that she has room for improvement in terms of expression using her arms, but I think the joy that she brings to that step sequence is praise-worthy. Just because Dick Button used the word to criticize skaters' arm movement a few seasons back doesn't mean that enthusiastic arm movement unto itself is a bad thing.

  11. #416
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,672
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    I'm pretty sure she's just taking a moment to get out of character, since she's had similar expressions at the end of her feisty SP in previous competitions (although not as obvious) and she doesn't in her FS.

    Don't be too quick to project negative attributes to young skaters we barely know.
    When was she ever in character during her SP? To my eyes, she went through her program rather mechanically with very little facial expression. OTOH, Mirai has a habit of showing her feelings before and after she skates. When she skates well, she ends her SP with a big smile. Not so this time.

    Mirai is starting to remind me of Nicole Bobek. Bobek was an amazingly talented skater who just couldn't seem to apply herself when it came to training. Nicole was often at odds with her coaches because of her training habits, and as a result, she changed coaches over and over again. Mirai hasn't quite reached that point yet, but the potential is there, if she doesn't make a commitment to training and improving.

    If Mirai had Rachael's work ethic, she would quickly become unbeatable.

  12. #417
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If Mirai had Rachael's work ethic, she would quickly become unbeatable.
    Now a Rachael and Mirai combination would be a truly phenomenal skater. The drive, work ethic and athleticism combined with the grace, elegance, and artistry...oh wait I just described Yuna Kim.

  13. #418
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Mirai doesn't seem to accept that it's her gift and destiny to be a champion. And if she doesn't accept it, the gift will be taken back.

  14. #419
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Beyond Neverland
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    She is the Patrick Chan of womens skating.
    Please don't insult Patrick Chan. ;P
    Last edited by os168; 02-19-2011 at 06:41 PM.

  15. #420
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,657
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    When was she ever in character during her SP? To my eyes, she went through her program rather mechanically with very little facial expression. OTOH, Mirai has a habit of showing her feelings before and after she skates. When she skates well, she ends her SP with a big smile. Not so this time.
    I thought Mirai was expressive throughout her SP this competition - for the first time this season. At least she performed throughout. I just don't really like this program for her though.

    I think Spun is right and Mirai needs to embrace that she can be awesome. But easy for us to say, right?

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •