Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Men's Long Program

Custom Title
    Treeloving, you are sooo lucky! Thanks for conveying what it was like to see Daisuke live.

There are a lot of skaters that impress me while they're competing, but only a few make my life list. I know that Takahashi will be one of them, right up there with Kurt Browning and Michelle Kwan. He's definitely Hall of Fame material to me. What he does to music goes beyond brilliance and enters the realm of magic.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by treeloving View Post
    I just came back form watching him live. He is even better than in youtube. I don't really crazy about his program when watch on youtube,but watching him live I cry when he skated. I don't know how to explain, he was just too extraordinary.

From my experience tonight, I really feel that every skate fan should watch him live one.
    I couldn't agree more and to that end I hereby request that the Japanese fed send him to NY, NJ, and all the major American cities forthwith. We are Dai-deprived over here.

ETA: Did people catch the poster in the crowd with the little mop-haired cartoon Daisuke? Love it! And oh boy, does he look glorious in slo-mo.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 02-19-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by treeloving View Post
    I just came back form watching him live. He is even better than in youtube. I don't really crazy about his program when watch on youtube,but watching him live I cry when he skated. I don't know how to explain, he was just too extraordinary.

From my experience tonight, I really feel that every skate fan should watch him live one.
    Oh, definitely. I certainly liked Daisuke when I watched his skating via Youtube and video streaming, but I really became a huge fan after watching his La Strada live. For someone who's not very tall in real life, Daisuke just skates like he's eight feet tall and owns the ice--in common parlance, he's beyond fierce!

Anyways, his skate here at 4CC reminded me of his skate at the Olympics last year (big fall on quad, great on everything else). Hopefully this means that he'll be even better at Worlds, just like last year!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Yes, he did, before the GP season started, in Japan. Went downhill from there, though he got the fight knocked into him in Skate Canada by the clash with Patrick.
    Exactly, I just read this on icenetwork:

Adam Rippon spoke about the ongoing challenge of mastering the triple Axel, a jump he was unable to land here: "I don't know what the problem has been. When I started out in the summer, it felt much better. I think, even though it sounds silly, winning the free skate at the Japan Open [in early October] spooked me because I didn't know all my hard work would pay off so quickly. I'd rather learn this lesson this season rather than one closer to the next Olympics. I have to completely change the Axel technique."

Custom Title
    Adam better start improving quickly because of all the young guns coming up. Dornbush already has it over him in terms of jumps but i also want to see how Jason Brown develops. He's just a triple axel from being a threat as soon as next year. Throw in Miner, Armin, Keegan Messing and it gets crowded at the top.
    Last edited by Jammers; 02-19-2011 at 04:42 PM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Why doesn't Jeremy get the levels on his footwork? Anyone know?
    I guess because he doesn't wonderlessly flail his arms uncontrollably out of their sockets while ignoring the music and scatters through it hysterically like he's being eaten alive by fire ants?

Found the link to the Men's competition! There are two parts. Part is linked in Part 1.

http://www.justin.tv/iammatrix_ii/b/279939238

Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    I'm still bothered by the fact that Abbott isn't going to Worlds over a .19 difference when he proves time and time again that he will put up higher (much higher) scores than Miner internationally, but oh well. Who needs a medal threat at Worlds?
    I'm happy for Abbott that he put in two solid performances, but he didn't really sell if for me that he should have been on the world team. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for Kozuka's meltdown for the SP, Abbott would have been OTP.

That aside, Jeremy made too many mistakes and left too many points on the table. I'm not too convinced that Jeremy is a medal threat given his tech as of late. (The three Chinese skaters actually beat him in TES.) I'm ready to see if the young ones can rise to the challenge.

And I say this as someone who is a huge fan and really love his programs this year. He has not skated his LP clean at all this season, which is a shame because I'm sure that clean it's even better.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 02-19-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Banned
    Jeremy didnt exactly show he was a medal threat for Worlds here. He was beaten by the #4 Japanese man. He made the podium since Kozuka bombed the short. When you add in Chan and the top European men he would be a medal long shot at Worlds at best based on anything he has shown this season thus far.

That said I agree entirely he should be on the team over Miner. A margin of 0.19 at Nationals in no way should overcome the huge difference in ability and performance this season between them.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Yuzuru's arms go with the music while Dai's arms are a distraction to the music. Kozuka is a male version of Ando, very calculating but not much in interpretation. Nobi is the best of the three, imo. However: Yuzuru will lead Japan into Sochi.
    I completely disagree with your assessments of Dai, Kozuka, and Nobunari. How are Dai's arms a distraction to the music? He uses his arms better than anyone else in the entire current competitive field in his Short Program.

Kozuka has wonderful, subtle interpretation. Or at least he did in previous seasons. He has been trying something different this year and it's not really a good match. Hope he switches back to the style that fit him. Nobunari is easily the weakest of the three and is the one that should be compared to Ando.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I guess because he doesn't wonderlessly flail his arms uncontrollably out of their sockets while ignoring the music and scatters through it hysterically like he's being eaten alive by fire ants?
    Heh. I really don't know. I'm ambivalent about his arm work in his SP. Sometime I really like it and sometimes I think it's too busy. But it's definitely deliberate and choreographed to the music - not at all flailing.

I'm thinking more his feet - it's hard for me to judge but it always looks swell and smooth to me. So I'd be interested to know where the judges think he is lacking on footwork.

BTW, I agree with the posters who have said that Jeremy didn't really prove himself a formidable medal threat there. Medal contender, yes. But not the guy to beat for a medal. Then again, nobody did except for Daisuke.
    I don't know... I think Jeremy just hadn't been able to regain his form from last year for whatever reason, boot problems or wear and tear or whatever. I think next year is going to be rough for him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I'm happy for Abbott that he put in two solid performances, but he didn't really sell if for me that he should have been on the world team. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for Kozuka's meltdown for the SP, Abbott would have been OTP.
    The fact is, he still beat Kozuka in this competition and we know Kozuka is Top 5 material at Worlds and the current Japanese Champion. Would any of the 2011 US World Team member be able to beat Kozuka at this competition in lieu of Jeremy? I doubt the answer can be a convincing yes. Chances are, many people would doubt that.

That aside, Jeremy made too many mistakes and left too many points on the table. I'm not too convinced that Jeremy is a medal threat given his tech as of late. (The three Chinese skaters actually beat him in TES.) I'm ready to see if the young ones can rise to the challenge.
    True, he was far from perfect though if the selection criteria for World Team is perfection, then none of them would fit either because they too have a lot of small issues. Jeremy may not be a medal threat but don't you think the standard you are using here is overly strict? Would Bradley, Dornbush and Miner be medal threats? Frankly, it's quite unthinkable, even less than Jeremy.

And I say this as someone who is a huge fan and really love his programs this year. He has not skated his LP clean at all this season, which is a shame because I'm sure that clean it's even better.
    The bottom line is do you want someone who at his worst, would still be Top 12 in the World or do you want some people, at their worst, could possibly not even qualify after the SP at Worlds? I think the answer is obvious.

Custom Title
    Treeloving:

Thank you so much for your report. Yes, I exactly know what you mean. I saw Dai's skate live at Skate Canada, Olympic and Skate America this year.

His is so captivating, and you will loose the sense of time. His skating grabs your soul and shakes it!!! THIS IS THE DIRECT TRANSLATION OF JAPANESE EXPRESSION. Dai himself said, " I would like to deliver performance that grabs people's soul."And he does it by his pure charisma and magic.Just astounding.

Can't he have his own PCS added to his score?------Dai's only Pure, Chrisma, Special!!! yeah

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I dont think I can say how much thrilled I am for the podium and i hope it stays this way for worlds in any order!I think last time I saw a similar situation was a russian sweep podium like 100 years ago!

edit: now I realised I only saw the Lp results and thought Kozu medaled instead of Abott :(
    but yey for jeremy!
    Last edited by seniorita; 02-19-2011 at 07:35 PM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I dont think I can say how much thrilled I am for the podium and i hope it stays this way for worlds in any order!I think last time I saw a similar situation was a russian sweep podium like 100 years ago!

edit: now I realised I only saw the Lp results and thought Kozu medaled instead of Abott :(
    but yey for jeremy!
    Aw, I'd be sad for Patrick if he didn't make the worlds podium. And I thought you were supposed to be a Brian Joubert fan.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast