Ladies - Long Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does anyone know why very few ladies are doing triple-triple combo this year? I am just curious.

Rachael has praticed a 3F-3T all year, but she's never been able to get the speed to do the second jump. Mao has a history of URing the second jump, so 3-3 has been difficult for her. Miki is going the clean route, I think, but she's capable of a 3Z-3L. Mirai also can do a 3Z-3T, but she never really been that consistant with it.

That said, a bunch of skaters (Ksenia, Alena, Kiira, Carolina, Kanako and Agnes) have done a 3T-3T this year.

Christina Gao can do a 3F-3T while Adelina does a 3Z-3L, but they're in juniors.

Krislite

Medalist
Yes, I think clean programs are coming into play here.

I compared Yuna's 2009 Worlds score with Miki's score here. (Though I know they are not exactly comparable, but I use them because in both cases both women broke 200).. Yuna actually had less tech content as she had an invalid spin and she bouched the 3S so only 4 clean tripe jumps while Miki had five. Miki also had more of a backloaded program than Yuna did. As a result Miki's TES (73.03) was about ten points higher than Yu-na's (63.19)

Also Miki's +GOE is pretty impressive (13.37) compared to Yuna's in 2009 (10.30)

But Yuna had better PCS (68) than MIki did here (61).

So clearly Yuna will likely outshine Miki on PCS and artistry at Worlds, but Miki has been so clean, something, with the exception of the Olympics, Yuna has not. (She's always made a little mistake or two such as the botched 3S in 2009 and the weird waltz jump and fall on the 3S in 2010)

It will be interesting to see if Miki, Mao or Yuna could break 140 at Worlds LP.

I just looked at the protocol and I'm shocked Miki's got several +3 GOE on her SPINS! I get the +1 or +2 on the jumps, but spins? Just looking at her GOE's she got a total of 13.37 points of GOE!

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Rachael has praticed a 3F-3T all year, but she's never been able to get the speed to do the second jump. Mao has a history of URing the second jump, so 3-3 has been difficult for her. Miki is going the clean route, I think, but she's capable of a 3Z-3L. Mirai also can do a 3Z-3T, but she never really been that consistant with it.

That said, a bunch of skaters (Ksenia, Alena, Kiira, Carolina, Kanako and Agnes) have done a 3T-3T this year.

Christina Gao can do a 3F-3T while Adelina does a 3Z-3L, but they're in juniors.

Thank you. & you, too, Layfan. Thanks.

breeze

Rinkside
I think the judges are less conserved about giving out +3 GOEs since they introduces different factors for elements, but I'll have to wait till I see Miki's LP to say anything about this specific protocol..

Layfan

Record Breaker
I just looked at the protocol and I'm shocked Miki's got several +3 GOE on her SPINS! I get the +1 or +2 on the jumps, but spins? Just looking at her GOE's she got a total of 13.37 points of GOE!

Miki's spins were pretty good, I thought. I don't know about +3 but they were good. Having watched Miki for years I really am amazed how much she was improved her spins and her stretch and non jump elements in general over the years. It is clear how determined she she is.

magicalwords

On the Ice
Maybe, but I think here the GOE were well deserved. This 4CC actually was quite impressive with the top four all handing in clean (give or take a few errors) performances with really nice jumps.

I agree with how impressive 4CC has been with many skaters going (relatively) clean, but I still think GOEs given @ this competition were generally high and generous. I understand that it's not fair to compare results from two different competitions, but taking Yu-Na Kim as an example (though she didn't compete here, since I consider her jumps to be the best in the field right now), having +2 all over the board (and some +3's) was almost unseen even for Kim, except for her 3-3 combination. Not to discredit the skaters today or anything, though.

M

mylastduchess

Okay, why is this not on t.v. its the biggest event this year so far, and CBC or NBC is not covering it?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree with how impressive 4CC has been with many skaters going (relatively) clean, but I still think GOEs given @ this competition were generally high and generous. I understand that it's not fair to compare results from two different competitions, but taking Yu-Na Kim as an example (though she didn't compete here, since I consider her jumps to be the best in the field right now), having +2 all over the board (and some +3's) was almost unseen even for Kim, except for her 3-3 combination. Not to discredit the skaters today or anything, though.

Interesting point...yeah I see what you're getting at. The magnitude of the GOE is probably generous, but I thinking giving generally positive GOE was not.

That said, I do think Miki may give Yuna a run for her money on GOE for jumps. She has a great loop jump and her Lutz jump is pretty big. It will be interesting to compare the two side to side at Worlds.

magicalwords

On the Ice
Interesting point...yeah I see what you're getting at. The magnitude of the GOE is probably generous, but I thinking giving generally positive GOE was not.

Yeah, I was probably unclear about how I worded things. :biggrin: I definitely agree with positive GOEs but not with the magnitude of the GOEs.

Anywho, watching a competition this high level makes me even more excited for the worlds. Still! A! Month! Away!

Nadine

Record Breaker
You know what I wish, I wish Mirai Nagasu had Mao Asada's brain, seriously, Mao Asada is honestly the hardest worker out there (ala Evan Lysacek & Rachael Flatt as well).

If Mirai Nagasu ever wants to be a legend like Michelle Kwan or Mao Asada for that matter, she needs to be a hard worker, the hardest most ambitious workers ALWAYS come out on top 99% of the time. It makes me so frustrated because Mirai has it in her to be the very best ala Yuna Kim & Mao Asada, yet out of those three I don't see it because Mirai is too much like those before her that were just as brilliant but fizzled out due to not being a hard worker, not wanting it enough (e.g. Christopher Bowman, Nicole Bobek, Emanuel Sandhu, et al).

Mirai has it all ~ big jumps, speed, presentation galore, FAB spins, flexibility, spirals, et al ~ yet she keeps letting it get away from her time & time & time again (ala last year's Worlds after leading after the SP, this year's Nationals). Come on, Mirai, don't throw your talent away, God gave you so much, use it!

In the words of Galina Zmievskaya to Oksana Baiul: "God gives many performers physical talent...He usually forgets to give them the soul of an artist...He gave Oksana everything"

And America's legendary runner Steve Prefontaine: "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"

FTnoona

Final Flight
I know! I wanted to see Mirai get her first major senior international medal.

P.S. Congrats to Miki and her #1 fans tonight. ;) She was just sensational this competition.

the medal ceremony was right after the comp. maybe you missed it :O Mirai looked extremely happy :D

Nadine

Record Breaker
Oops, and I would have to include Miki Ando in that hard worker category, she has come a loooong way since she first debuted years ago. SHE proves that with hard work you can always improve ~ she went from a pure jumper into an ethereal beauty on the ice ~ lost weight, which improved her lines & figure as well, now she has hands down the very best S-T-R-E-T-C-H out of all the ladies, and that includes the Americans, et al! BRAVO! BRAVO! :thumbsup:

And I know for a fact that she or someone close to her reads the boards, at least here at GS, I'll never forget the song "Micky, Micky" I suggested years ago, and tada there it was! :) On that score, if she's reading, I apologize for making assumptions about your & your coach's relationship. You two look lovely together. I'm sure it's love and not a Svengali relationship, my apologies, I only wish the very best for you, Miki Ando. Arigato! :bow:

Back to the Americans, in particular Rachael Flatt, her FS at Skate America was unfettered, joyful, unadulterated. Here it was conservative & careful, and it showed. Her SP is genius, but her FS (when skated so conservatively) is not. Also, she needs to work on fully rotating her jumps. But knowing how hard she works I have faith she will improve, just as Miki Ando has! Though it will take her more years to get to Miki's status, totally understandable, it doesn't happen over night, as Miki proves, it takes hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and staying in for the long haul (at least a decade).

p.s. still waiting for Mao's FS on youtube, it is definitely going into my FAVORITES folder. :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
My last word:

:bow:THIS WAS THE ABSOLUTELY "BEST" COMPETITION, AS I ALWAYS SAY THE VERY BEST COMPETITIONS ARE WHEN EVERYBODY SKATES THEIR BEST AND YOU WIN!!!!!:bow:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
It will be interesting to see if Miki, Mao or Yuna could break 140 at Worlds LP.

Probably not. I'm guessing Miki's GOEs here were a fluke. Nothing else can explain the sudden jump from 0.7 (GPF) to 1.3. I've never seen a huge jump like that. The generosity at this competition reminds me of the Vancouver Olympics *dramatic faint* It's weird since this season's scores were leveling out like they usually do during a post-Olympics season and then BAM 4CC with its crazy rocketing of scores. Miki's clean LP got a 120 and 122 during the GP series but a 134 here (12 point difference), although little separates the two in terms of quality. Maybe the title of Japan's top lady comes with its benefits, but a 12+ jump is surprising.

But I don't mean to take away from Miki's win. Her improvement is incredible. I was watching the competition being broadcasted in Chinese & the commentator said that she has improved very much in the performance department, her previously feng kuang (frenzied) StSq is now gan jing (clean, crisp) and she seems to really like her SP music. I was one of the first people to note that she's gaining great momentum heading into Worlds & mark her one of the biggest contenders for gold. Yu-na's definitely not striding in to clench the Worlds title.

I was in love with Mirai's performance. Best of the night, IMHO. I'm one of her biggest doubters, but performances like these remind me of her immense talent and sparkling charm. The program itself isn't impressive, but the skater definitely is.

I think I like the changes Mao's made to her LP, esp. the opening. She's two-footing a bit, but I'm guessing her tech will be dealt with and be in spectacular shape come March. I actually think her 3As are gaining greater ice coverage than before, reminiscent of her 07-08 season jumps (awesome quality, esp. at 4CC) Can't wait to see two perfect performances in March.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Oh, but don't get me wrong. I think Miki deserves high GOE, esp. since she's one of the few skaters with a true lutz (love the long entry, just like back in the old days). I'm just doubting that the sudden jump will continue into March.

OK, I'm rewatching Mao's LP at the moment, and seriously love the new opening! Much more nuanced and soft. I thought her arm waving looked forced before, but this, absolutely gorgeous. I must look out for some more new changes :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, Nagasu´s freeskate was awesome! Beautiful programme and I love her costume, very elegant... Such a pity that she is not going to Worlds.