Ladies - Long Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's so weird how even with the new rules the free skate scores are approaching the highs achieved last season. How did Miki score 200+ with a couple of clean programs when the rules this year restrict GOE's and eliminate the spiral sequence from short program, among other things?

Is it higher PCS scores? At this rate, even Yuna's record score could be surpassed by the time we get to the WC in March. It seems clean long programs have a much higher potential now than last season. If a clean Miki program can score 134, then a clean Mao and a clean Yuna could easily do 150+.

Yes, I think clean programs are coming into play here.

I compared Yuna's 2009 Worlds score with Miki's score here. (Though I know they are not exactly comparable, but I use them because in both cases both women broke 200).. Yuna actually had less tech content as she had an invalid spin and she bouched the 3S so only 4 clean tripe jumps while Miki had five. Miki also had more of a backloaded program than Yuna did. As a result Miki's TES (73.03) was about ten points higher than Yu-na's (63.19)

Also Miki's +GOE is pretty impressive (13.37) compared to Yuna's in 2009 (10.30)

But Yuna had better PCS (68) than MIki did here (61).

So clearly Yuna will likely outshine Miki on PCS and artistry at Worlds, but Miki has been so clean, something, with the exception of the Olympics, Yuna has not. (She's always made a little mistake or two such as the botched 3S in 2009 and the weird waltz jump and fall on the 3S in 2010)

It will be interesting to see if Miki, Mao or Yuna could break 140 at Worlds LP.

Last edited:

skfan

Final Flight
the choreography change highlights mao's beautiful, beautiful spiral at the end of the long, but i actually like the original choreography also. does anyone know of any specific reason for the change?

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Wow.
That was awesome.
Happy for all 3 medalists.
GOOO MIKI!! You're adorable!
Glad Mirai proved herself after the disappointment of Nationals.
Sad for Alissa. Keep your head up for worlds, sweetie! That's when it really matters!

And I'm out.
Wish I could stay for the gala, but after 2 straight nights of skating and only like 3 hours of sleep..I think I'm pooped. hehe
Good night/morning/afternoon everyone! Wherever you are!
It's been fun!

magicalwords

On the Ice
Grats to the medalists. For the three American ladies: I'm very happy for Mirai's clean program, hopefully she can continue to maximize her potential like today. I was hoping for a clean Czisny, but obviously that didn't happen. Still, Czisny was absolutely gorgeous and I hope she brings the best at the Worlds. As for Rachael, I really like her short program but her long program needs to improve. Still, great job today and I really admire her for being so consistent with her jumps.

As for the competition, good to see last how-many-was-it skaters go (relatively) clean. However, I found scoring especially in the last group to be very inflated. Thought scores weren't going to go over 130 unless it was like Yu-Na Kim going clean with quality jumps and everything, but it seems like the judges want to see high scores.

@Krislite
I don't necessarily see higher PCS scores compared to last year (ex. Ando had 61.60 @ Olympics) it seems to me that judges are giving out GOEs like candies.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does anyone know why very few ladies are doing triple-triple combo this year? I am just curious.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Grats to the medalists. For the three American ladies: I'm very happy for Mirai's clean program, hopefully she can continue to maximize her potential like today. I was hoping for a clean Czisny, but obviously that didn't happen. Still, Czisny was absolutely gorgeous and I hope she brings the best at the Worlds. As for Rachael, I really like her short program but her long program needs to improve. Still, great job today and I really admire her for being so consistent with her jumps.

As for the competition, good to see last how-many-was-it skaters go (relatively) clean. However, I found scoring especially in the last group to be very inflated. Thought scores weren't going to go over 130 unless it was like Yu-Na Kim going clean with quality jumps and everything, but it seems like the judges want to see high scores.

@Krislite
I don't necessarily see higher PCS scores compared to last year (ex. Ando had 61.60 @ Olympics) it seems to me that judges are giving out GOEs like candies.

Maybe, but I think here the GOE were well deserved. This 4CC actually was quite impressive with the top four all handing in clean (give or take a few errors) performances with really nice jumps.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Does anyone know why very few ladies are doing triple-triple combo this year? I am just curious.

Yeah, good question. Although... none of these ladies were doing them consistently last year either aside from Rachael right? I think Rachael nixed her 3 flip 3 toe because she was reworking her technique on her flip or something.

I can't remember if Miki had a 3-3 last year. Of the three Olympic medalists, only Yuna had a 3-3 but of course, Mao had her 3as.