Two new (and one old) video interviews with Alexander Majorov, Sweden's new FS star | Golden Skate

Two new (and one old) video interviews with Alexander Majorov, Sweden's new FS star

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Two new (and one old) video interviews with Alexander Majorov, Sweden's new FS star

The newly crowned 2011 Nordic champion was recently interviewed on at least two Swedish networks.

SVT: http://svtplay.se/v/2329994/nordnytt/majorov_uttagen_till_vm

TV4: http://www.tv4play.se/nyheter_och_debatt/nyheterna_lulea?title=majorov_klar_for_vm&videoid=1239969 If the clip doesn't play at first, just refresh the page.

SVT reposted a 2007 fluff piece they did on Sasha: http://svtplay.se/v/1412628/svt_sport_moter_alexander_majorov I'm sure this is old news for fans who have been following Swedish figure skating for many years, but I've never seen it before.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Someone was kind of enough to provide English translations for the videos

Last year Alexander Mayorov criticized the national team leaders on Facebook for not choosing him for Euros. His post caused a lot of media attention because of his foul language and racist remarks that he later said he regrets.

Evidently the national team leaders have now left the incident behind them and want to give him a chance.

Majorov: "I knew I would get to go to Junior Worlds because I won two places for us last year, so me and another guy are going, but Senior Worlds is great news that I got yesterday."

Reporter: "And what do you think your chances are at these competitions?"

AM: "At Junior Worlds I'm going for the top three. I'm sure I can achieve that if I go clean, but Senior Worlds is more difficult with far more merited skaters. All I can do is go and see where I end up. I have never skated at Worlds and have no idea."

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Alexander Majorov: "I thought it was great. At first I didn't think it would happen, but it did after all."

Reporter: "Was it your win at Nordics last weekend that influenced the decision?"

AM: "I think that was part of it, yes, but it was also because I've done quite well the whole season. The Nordic championships sort of crowned it."

Reporter: "Are you off home to blog about Worlds now?" (This is obviously a reference to the infamous Facebook incident.)

AM: "No, I'm not!" (smiling)

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There were a few parts that my acquaintance couldn't translate. If there is anyone who can fill in the blanks, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

SVT reposted a 2007 fluff piece they did on Sasha: http://svtplay.se/v/1412628/svt_sport_moter_alexander_majorov I'm sure this is old news for fans who have been following Swedish figure skating for many years, but I've never seen it before.

Sasha first says a few words that I can't hear because of bad sound.

Reporter: "This is a normal Tuesday for Alexander Majorov, 16 years old. (The sign shown on the video reads: school, lunch, ice training, school, ballet, dinner, karate, ice training.) His main goal is to do a triple Axel, three and a half turns, one of figure skating's most difficult jumps. Alexander, who lives in Luleå, has been at school all morning. It is now 12:30 and he has just over an hour's ice training. His father, the coach Alexander Majorov Sr., was part of the Russian national team in the seventies and who became a successful coach of, among others, Alexei Yagudin - one of figure skating's super stars who won Olympic gold in Salt Lake City five years ago."

The video then continues with Majorov Sr. holding a piece of paper showing the choreography as it looks on the ice surface.

Majorov Sr. (in Russian): "Inwards and outwards, outwards. And then inwards and then the same again with the other leg."

Reporter: "This particular training session is about practicing steps for his competition program."

Sasha: "I recognize all the (slurred, can't make out a couple of words here). Traces get carved in the ice and one remembers what they look like and he draws these traces on paper."

Reporter: "So he draws a sort of layout for you?"

Sasha: "Yes, a layout. And write which foot."

Reporter: "Later in the afternoon, he returns to school before it's time for an hour's ballet training between half past four and half past five. His mother Irina is a ballet trainer and choreographer."

Irina: "It is very good for anyone but especially for figure skating. We do a lot of stuff. Stretching, bounce, jumps, coordination, expression, how to express yourself with emotions, arms, looks." (I may have missed a word or two here, it is hard to hear what she says.)

Reporter: "After the ballet, half of the day's training is done. After dinner, between seven and eight, is is time for karate which is intended to give more coordination and bounce but also strength and endurance which may make it easier to succeed as a figure skater."

A triple Axel can hurt a lot (referring to the fall shown in the video).

Sasha: "I have sustained the same injury three times because of the triple Axel."

Reporter. "So what do you think about this jump?"

Sasha: It's fun but it's painful. (smiling)

Reporter: "Alexander is now preparing for this evening's training session from 9.30 to 10.30 pm which will contain jump training. He can master all triple jumps except one. Last year he won the silver at the junior Olympics for skaters up to nineteen years of age. He was then only fifteen and he now has a chance to be selected for Worlds in Gothenburg next year but for that, he has to be able to do the triple Axel."

Sasha: "The difficult thing about the triple Axel is the actual entrance into it. When you master that, it gets easier."

Majorov Sr. (from the background): "Very good try, very good!"

Reporter: "How do you think you will feel when you can do this jump?"

Sasha: "I will feel good. Very good. After every jump you learn to master, you must keep practising it and then you do it in competition. When you've landed it in competition, you can say you master it."

Majorov Sr.: "You have to stretch yourself a bit and stand up straight. You rotate well but when you hit the ice, you go like this (bending his knees)."

Reporter: "This evening's eighth and final attempt."

Majorov Sr.: "Not so bad!"

Reporter: "One of the week's most intensive days will soon come to an end for Alexander Majorov."

Sasha: "When I go to bed, I am in so much pain. (Then a few words that are impossible to hear) I usually have Sundays off. (A couple of words that I can't distinguish)."

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
^

Big ears and some guessing :think:

At first he talks about the 3-axel:
It is the most difficult jump for me so far, it works better and better, so… but it hurts falling on it.

Sasha: "I recognize all the (curves, three turns, what they look like, eehm). Traces get carved in the ice …..

Sasha: "When I go to bed, I am in so much pain (that I don't have the energy to move. If it's an only practice session, then I am free…) I usually have Sundays off. (And half free on Saturdays… just one practice session)."

SPEAK UP, Sasha :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sasha did very well in the SP at Jr. Worlds this morning, and is currently in fourth place behind only Messing (USA), Dmitrieve (RUS) and Rogozine (CAN). His score is quite close to Rogozine's. And he landed his 3A nicely.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks so much for translating the missing parts, snowflake! :rock:

SPEAK UP, Sasha :laugh:

:rofl:

Sasha did very well in the SP at Jr. Worlds this morning, and is currently in fourth place behind only Messing (USA), Dmitrieve (RUS) and Rogozine (CAN). His score is quite close to Rogozine's. And he landed his 3A nicely.

I'm crossing my fingers for Sasha; Sweden has never won a medal at Jr. Worlds.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
His goal is to medal at his last junior worlds. I really hope he does! Close among the top boys though. SP should have been an interesting competition to watch. Hopes for good performances in LP as well :)

Anyway, a great preparation before the first big worlds for Sasha...

Last edited: