What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies
Thanks IP for coming up with the original idea for this thread.
That said here's what I want to see:
** Rachael to get a ratified 2A-3L and a 3F-3T in her long program. I think it is gutsy of her to try this layout and is much more realistic then the 3Z-3L she was looking to do earlier this season (and never did).
** Continuing on that thread, I would like to see Rachael/Alissa to get three spots back. Any combination will do, but would be great if either one of them could sneak for a medal and the other finishes it off with at least a top 10 finish.
** Miki to prove her naysayers wrong and win the title. I was very "eh" on her last year but clearly there is some sort of inner resolve in her, and that has made me an admirer of her skating. That said, I think to win this, I would like her to do it with a 3Z-3L. I know she can do it, we've seen it in practice. She just has to go for it!
** Actually, I wouldn't mind if Mao won the title either. It's been a nitty gritty journey for her this year, and she has not let up on her efforts to get those jumps ready. I would like fully rotated 3As for both SP/LP, no flutz and maybe a 3F-3L combo?
** I'm looking forward to see how Yuna develops in her artistry, particularity with her Airang program. I think she could bring the house down and run away from the title also.
** I would like to see Carolina with a Lutz/Flip jump. I do like her LP, but the lack of difficult content makes it hard for me to be a full on fan.
** I think I'd like to see Min-jung Kwak with a top 12 finish. This is unlikely given her competitors, but I thought she had a decent performance at 4CC. She did finish ahead two of the three Canadians. And I think she could give the European skaters a run for their money as well.
Last edited by Mrs. P; 02-20-2011 at 05:56 PM.
-- I hope the American ladies do well, so there'd be three spots next year.
-- Hope to see Mao peak at Worlds. It'll be great to see her bring back her 3-3.
-- Looking forward to see Yuna's LP and also curious to see how she'll pull of Giselle.
-- Curious to see how Kanako will handle her first senior Worlds and if she'll play darkhorse
for a medal.
-- I'm not too concerned about who I want to win, though I'll be rooting for my favorite.
"Hold an edge and look sexy!"
I want to see someone win Worlds who has never won it, so no Yu-Na, Mao, or Miki. Nothing against them at all, but it's just too predictable and I want to spice things up a bit with some variety on the podium. Dream winner would be Carolina Kostner or Alissa Czisny. Heck, even if Kostner were to win Worlds without a 3Lutz or a 3flip, I'll be thrilled for her even if everyone else is screaming bloody murder and losing their **** over it. A big wish of mine is for Alissa to leave the ice after both programs feeling satisfied with herself and doing the best job she is capable of.
1. Carolina Kostner (clean with 3flip+3toe, 2Axel, 2Axel+3toe, x3Salchow, x3loop+2toe+2loop, x3loop, x2Lutz )
2. Alissa Czisny (clean)
3. Miki Ando
4. Yu-Na Kim
5. Mao Asada
6. Ksenia Makarova
7. Alena Leonova
8. Cynthia Phaneuf
9. Kanako Murakami
10. Rachael Flatt
So many good things happen in this scenario I believe: Kostner's and Czisny's past inconsistencies and heartbreaks are fully redeemed as they provide 2 of the unlikeliest comeback scenarios ever! Japan, USA, and Russia all achieve 3 spots for the next Worlds. Phaneuf helps Canada maintain 2 spots. Yeah, I know Kim and Asada don't medal, but big deal; they shouldn't have to win everything. Besides, Mao's skating level has dropped considerably enough this season and Yu-Na has been completely missing in action from competition, so it really wouldn't be THAT much of a shock if they didn't medal. I totally expect to get flamed for this from certain ubers.
Last edited by museksk8r; 02-22-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Long live the Queen!
Yu-Na Kim, of course
- Phaneuf medalling (I'm worried if she does finish out of the top 10 and Myriane doesn't make the FS, although her finishing out of the top 10 is probably unlikely, Canada will be down to one spot)
- Myriane Samson skating well
- Rachael Flatt and Alissa Csizny getting 3 spots for the USA next year
- Carolina Kostner skating two clean programs (I know, wishful thinking)
- Mao Asada winning!
- Leonova having a good competition, even if she doesn't finish on the podium, which I guess she probably won't
Wicked Yankee Girl
I'm not a big fan of the ladies, mostly, but there are a few things I'd like to see at Worlds:
1. NO SPLATFEST! That is one of the reasons I don't adore the ladies in general.
2. Bring truth back to the interviews. You wanna win, Tell me about it. Alas, this is why I most miss Mirai at Worlds...no unfiltered interviews.
3. I want to see Yu Na's Airang. I expect it to be epic.
4. However, I want somebody new to win...and don't care too much who.
5. I hope Alissa skates both her programs perfectly. Then I hope she announces her retirement to skate in SOI. Alissa is far too wearing on my nerves as an eligible skater But if she wants to continue, she should, just to be clear.
6. I hope Rachael skates her EOE SP even better than she did at Nationals & 4CC's and lands her 3F3T perfectly with no UR. I hope she gets as great or better a standing ovation as she received at 4CC's and Nationals! I hope she lands the 3Lz3Lp and the 3F3T perfectly in the LP, as well as landing everything else and continuing to improve her spins. Why? Because I hate to see people yelling she should retire and can't improve at 18. OTOH, I don't care as much where she finishes, as long as Alissa+Rachael <= 13 and the US gets 3 spots for next year.
7. I want to see Makarova and Leonova skate well enough that Russian gets 3 spots next year for all the upcoming little Russian girls with the big jumps. I especially want to see the little Russian/American girl from the Hudson Valley, Makarova, skate really, really well.
8. Miki and Mao to skate great in their home country. I hate to see competitors fall and feel too much pressure skating at home. Too much heartbreak
So that's my list. Sadly, they can't all win a medal.
Rooting for the divas with Kwanford
I agree about Miki and Mao doing well in Japan.
I would love for them to place 1-2 with their best skates of the season. They've been fighting for this so hard all season and both seem ready - I just want to see the full flower of what they've already accomplished.
Unless of course Yu Na arrives in all her glory and throws it down. But I really don't want Yu Na to get OGM bonus points just for showing up - judge her just as toughly as the others, please!
I want Alissa to skate both well and passionately. Cautious Alissa is boring and an Alissa splatfest is worse. Nope, I hear you, Doris - 'tain't easy watching that girl compete.
Of course I want her and Rachael to get the 3rd spot back and I think they will. Go, Rachael!
I want Cheltzie Lee to bring it and not run out of steam midway through.
And I don't want to see any humiliatingly awful performances from anyone.
Mao: winning a world title in Japan: she was sooo close in 2007! I want a fairy tale like Sarah in this year's euros
Miki: to land the 3Lz-3L and bring back the 3F, at least in the Lp. I want her on the podium too
Yuna: it's hard because I want a gold medal for her too, but since this is in Japan, I want it more for Mao. Still, I'm very anxious to see her Lp, I expect it to be a masterpiece
I want the US and the Russian ladies to get 3 spots for next year!
I want to see Kanako skating clean and enjoying her first worlds
I want to see Carolina skating clean. I especially want to see her gorgeous SP skated well
I want Kiira to hold it together, she is such a lovely skater, I hate to see her bombing in Kostner style
Want to see Mao and Yuna in top 2 in any order, I wish Mao's jumps will be better than at 4CC.
Bronze: Miki or Carolina (but only if she will skate well)
3 spots for the Russian ladies, because the first wave of wonderbabies will be eligible next season and if Alena and Ksenia want to be on the team they will need that extra spot soon enough.
3 spots for the Americans, because I was upset for Mirai this season and don't want to see something like this again.
Kanako and Kiira skating clean
On the Ice
I would love to see Rachael Flatt or Alizza Czisny win but a lot would have to happen for that to fall into place so let's be realistic here.
1) Ando-I can't believe I'm saying this but she has really been the standout this year and it could be her last season so I think she deserves it
2) Asada-she's fought through a lot this season so I'd like to see a strong showing
3) Kim-while it's a tall order to come back after a full season off to win, she is so good that I can't see her finishing off of the podium
4) Flatt-I think she is really going to peak here with a fantastic short and a triple-triple in her long
5) Czisny-I think she'll stay on her feet with two strong performances but I see at least one or two edge calls or under-rotations that will keep her off the podium if everybody else is clean
6) Murakami-she is a dynamo but I think she may be running out of steam after her first senior season; a top 6 finish will be a great senior Worlds debut
8) Kostner-I'm predicting a meltdown from her
Rooting for the divas with Kwanford
Oh no, don't predict another Kostner meltdown at Worlds. Please God, no meltdowns.
On the Ice
Sorry, I'm just not a fan of Kostner at all. I don't think she's ever deserved the results she has gotten. Don't get me started on those PCS scores.
Originally Posted by Spun Silver
Rooting for the divas with Kwanford
Oh, ITA, I'm not a fan either - although I do think she's been skating very well this season - but I wouldn't wish what happened to her before on anyone, let alone on her all over again. I just hope she'll get fairly marked and placed. Around 8th (as you suggest) or 10th would be fine. There are that many skaters who ought to place higher than her if all of them (including Carolina) do their best. If she melts down I would hope she'd place a lot lower than 8th. (It shouldn't be contagious! I guess I should put in for good hard ice in Tokyo.)
Gold- Yu Na Kim- since nobody else is even half worthy of gold right now until Asada totally fixes her jump issues, not just halfway fixes them to the point she cant even beat Miki Ando yet.
Silver- Mao Asada- since she is still a beautiful skater.
Bronze- Alissa Czisny-it would be nice to see her comeback after a bit of a down 4CCs
4th- Miki Ando- since her skating is an eyesore and she has been ridiculously overscored all season.
5th- Kira Korpi- would be nice to see her skate a decent long for once.
6th- Murakami- this would be an ok debut for her.
7th- Carolina Kostner- I dont want to see sloppy skating with simple content rewarded.
8th- Phaenuf- wishful thinking.
9th- Flatt- if Czisny comes 3rd this would be enough for the U.S to regain 3 spots which would be nice to see.
10. Markova- running out of names.
Gold = Miki *I do want Miki to finished her amature career with a second world title, that way all three have at least 2 major titles: Kim 09 Gold & OGM, Asada two world titles. =) *
Silver = Mao *I'm very proud of her for getting her jumps rework and its paying off. She has time to perfect them till Sochi and more world titles to come so, this is a great achievement for her.
Bronze = Kim *Skipping a year off from skating and still getting on the podium is great for her. Hopefully no OGM bonus if she flaters like last year world, and still got away with huge scores.
4th, 5th, 6th
Kanako, Rachael, Alissa in any order. The US will get 3 spots back no matters which order so. Top 6 finish is not too bad for world debute for Kanako, and for Alissa its a redemption after her previous world bombing.
7th - Kostner. No PCS bonus for her, just because she was a former world medalist. With no Flip and Lutz, and her usual messy sloppy skating, this is more than generous placement. Potentially she can move up the standing or drop way down. Which Kostner will show up??
8th - Makarov. Had a good showing at first GP and then bomb really bad at second GP and Russian naional. This is a chance for her to redeem herself, but either way i don't see the Russian getting 3 spots back.