Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

Custom Title
    i was looking for expetations for worlds and not many pages of argues about YuNa's spiral...
    take a look at the title

^ Here is why the Yu-na discussion is relevant. Eveyone is eager to see what changes if any we wil see in Yu-na's skating, since she has been out of the competition loop for a year and has been working with a new coach.

What skills and techniques will Peter Oppegard concentrate on? What improvements should we look for -- or is it enough just to dare hope to see last year's Kim return "as is."

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    ITA, Two of the most exciting things to "want to see" at Worlds in ladies is Yu Na Kim's SP & LP!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookingood78 View Post
    Mao sit spin is her worst spin to me, i always giggle at it when i see them.
    you should know how to respect people, do not just see yu-na

Custom Title
    Mao sit spin is her worst spin to me, i always giggle at it when i see them.
    I do not understand this at all. Mao's sit spin is usually well centered and keeps very tidy low position.
    Can't you see it on the video?

lowtherlore
    OK, I hope everybody stay healthy and bring her A-game to the Worlds!

My wish list:

Rachael and Alissa to skate well and bring the 3rd spot back for the Americans;

Kiira to keep her momentum going and help the Finns keep 2 spots;

Ira Vannut (liked her skating at JWC) and Juulia Turkkila (another Finnish beauty!) to have successful Worlds debut;

Yu-Na to deliver another set of magnificent and inspiring performances, and let the naysayers forget about nit-picking at least for a moment;

Min-Jeong Kwak to skate solid SP and LP, and better her PB.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    ITA, Two of the most exciting things to "want to see" at Worlds in ladies is Yu Na Kim's SP & LP!
    OK, I know I am going to get in trouble again, but...

Short program. While hoping for the best, I do not see how Giselle can possibly rival Bond. Yu-na can skate for the next twenty years and do every song in the canon, but she will always be Bond Girl to me.

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...61-d2vf146.jpg

Long program. It is very tricky, these programs that honor national culture and appeal to national pride. Like when American skaters perform to God Bless America or the Battle Hymn of the Republic. It's not just whistling Dixie. Blending the emotions of patriotism with a competitive skating performance is, as I say, tricky.

Custom Title
    Lol never say never. I wouldn't think it was possible to top Danse Macabre, but look how she managed to stop everyone talking about it, and have them doing her Bond Pose instead.

I'd consider her Long program is more like the folk song Danny Boy for the Irish. I don't consider it as a battle hymn, except people will read whatever they want to at the end of the day because everyone naturally have pre-built agendas and political biases (I know I certainly do, but that has nothing to do the artist intention surely). On its own, the music is beautiful, and sweet natured folk song about missing home and reuniting love ones.

The greatest songs/music means different things to different people at different point of their lives with a simple message. How they are performed and received can also impact the landscape of how one feels the music and its cultural history.

May be after her performance in March, Arirang will be known as something entirely different from its sad history, and have a more positive connotation for the new generations of Koreans, in which Yuna seems to represent. For me, I just feel privileged to see someone went out of their way to do something personally meaningful to them as a gesture of thanks rather than for the medals. It also feels like she felt she has finally earned her way to be able to express her own unique voice; something I hope she do more often if the pursuit of artistry is her ultimate goal.
    Last edited by os168; 03-07-2011 at 11:54 PM.

lowtherlore
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    OK, I know I am going to get in trouble again, but...

Short program. While hoping for the best, I do not see how Giselle can possibly rival Bond. Yu-na can skate for the next twenty years and do every song in the canon, but she will always be Bond Girl to me.

Long program. It is very tricky, these programs that honor national culture and appeal to national pride. Like when American skaters perform to God Bless America or the Battle Hymn of the Republic. It's not just whistling Dixie. Blending the emotions of patriotism with a competitive skating performance is, as I say, tricky.
    No doubt that Yu-Na’s Bond SP made a lasting impression to the new fans and other casual viewers who watched the event during the Olympics, as the program was undeniably catchy. But for me her Danse Macabre and to a lesser degree the Tango de Roxanne were better SPs from her.

I think her Giselle program is actually a wise choice as it would be a significant departure from her SPs of the previous two seasons. Her interviews over the past several months consistently indicate that she is motivated to improve her skating and her performance level. I agree it would be tough for her new Giselle to top the Bond in popularity among the public, but I feel it could well be another milestone SP in her career.

About the LP, I think those examples – God Bless America or the Battle Hymn of the Republic – are not exactly right. The song, Arirang (which I guess would be the main theme of her LP music), is essentially an ancient love song, and has none of nationalistic or jingoistic connotations, though it’s true it never fails to stir up certain profound emotions among Koreans. I don’t see Yu-Na performing to Arirang would cause a situation, even if it’s happening in Tokyo. If some people find it uncomfortable, I think it’s mostly overreacting.

It’s true Western music is usually the predominant choice for the Asian skaters too, but I’ve never felt any tricky nationalistic or cultural ramifications present when a Chinese skater skates to a Chinese theme or a Japanese skater to a Japanese theme. Same as, although these things have cultural and emotional aspects to some degree, I don’t feel any particular cultural or nationalistic propaganda at work when, say, an American skater does a Gershwin number or a Russian does a Rachmaninoff. Why would Yu-Na’s skating to a Korean theme be fundamentally different?
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 03-08-2011 at 12:45 AM.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    dorispulaski's post #249 is a perfect blend of expressing critique, praise, personal preference, and relating it all to an understanding of the current judging system.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It's also tricky when you take it international. However, we don't know if Yuna's program is more rah rah GOOOO KOREA patriotic, or more of a display of its culture and folk dance. Based on the music choice I would guess it's the latter. In which case it wouldn't be that different from a Russian ice dancing team doing a Russian folk dance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by genki View Post
    I do not understand this at all. Mao's sit spin is usually well centered and keeps very tidy low position.
    Can't you see it on the video?
    Mao's hip is too low. It should be like YuNa's, straight line from foot to hip.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

The trouble with Yu Na's spiral esthetically to me is that she really, really does not like to point her toe, and the rules do not require her to do so to get great scores on the element, so she doesn't. Also she has not needed to develop turn out, so her butt sticks up. And she does not fully extend her leg, so it's not straight.
    I am not sure I agree entirely with your factual analysis, but in any event, even if it is true that she doesn't do any of those things, it does not mean her spiral cannot be aesthetically beautiful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to me, these look aesthetically beautiful.. they are stunning!

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...iss/spiral.jpg
    http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...ss/spiral2.jpg
    http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...ss/spiral1.jpg

Custom Title
    Rats! It stinks that Laura can't compete.

As for the rest of it, I have favorite aspects of both YuNa's and Mao's skating. I wouldn't want to do without either of them! I still don't know how to look at edges the right way, I think, so I miss that unless someone kindly points it out to me (thanks, Doris!). In terms of spirals, I prefer Mao's, because of her posture. It was really interesting to see them skating side by side, despite the distraction of both music selections playing simultaneously. They really both turned it on for that long program. I hope they're both able to skate at that level of excellence in the upcoming Worlds.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Mao's hip is too low. It should be like YuNa's, straight line from foot to hip.
    No, according to the rules, in a sit spin, it is actually preferrable for the hip to be lower than the knee. A straight line is actually the minimun requirement. It can't be above it, but there's no rule against going below it.

"A sit position is obtained when the angle of the skating leg in the knee is not more than 90°; if this angle is more than 90°, the position is considered as an upright.
    If the buttocks are higher than the knee, there must be a GOE Reduction from -1 to -3 (depending on the height and the duration of such position)." ( ISU communication 1396)
    Last edited by miki88; 03-08-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast