Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by yangjie View Post
    you should know how to respect people, do not just see yu-na
    I didnt even mention Yuna in my post, where is your word comes out from "do not just see Yu-na"?
    Dont even bother telling me how to respect people i dont think you know me at all.
    Last edited by Lookingood78; 03-08-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    No, according to the rules, in a sit spin, it is actually preferrable for the hip to be lower than the knee. A straight line is actually the minimun requirement. It can't be above it, but there's no rule against going below it.
    Here is the perfect sit spin position, IMHO. To me, the straight back is the key.

http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikiped...x-Sit_spin.jpg

http://heatherw.com/mk/pics/rach/wsh_sit.jpg

Custom Title
    I don't mind Mao's sit spin but I'm aware of what they are talking about.
    I think some people have problem with Mao's sit spin because her hip kind of slides down as she spins. Her free leg starts parallel with ice level then her hip slides down to lower position as she spins whereas her foot remains at same height as before when she does her first sit position. So her free leg kind of changes from -- position to slight / position while she spins. She doesn't exactly 'hold' her position for certain amount of revolution. It's not really about position but about 'holding' it IMO because you need to hold it to get higher level.

I know some skaters like Lambiel and Oda do deep sit position(their hips are very close to their skating leg ankle) but their free legs always looked steady and parallel to the ice and they 'hold' it.

Anyway, it is very disappointiong that Laura is not gonna be there. Poor thing... I really wish her fast recovery.
    And I can't wait to see Yuna's new programs!!

BTW, Yuna's spirals are definately not 'average at best'. Actually it is one of the WOW factor if you see her live.

Custom Title
    For the sake of discussion, if Yu-Na and Mao were not in the competition, which ladies do you think would most likely win medals at Worlds?

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Miki, Alissa, and Carolina. Who else?

Custom Title
    Ando, Czisny.... and Kostner.

Custom Title
    Most of all, I want Mao to skate two clean programs and be happy with her performance. She went through a lot this year and I think it is pretty awesome that she is going to the World championship and is being considered as one of the top contenders. In the beginning of the season that didn't even seem possible.

Second, I want Alissa to skate like she can and take our breath away. She is such a beautiful skater, and I was heartbroken for her last year. And now this is the most amazing season for her, hope she finishes on a high note and stays motivated to skate for several more years.

Third, my favorite Russian girl Alena Leonova. I wouldn't mind if she won

I am very curious to see Yuna's new programs too. It is really a shame we will only see them once this season. Hopefully she will skate some modified versions of them during her summer shows. And I really want her to come back to the full competitive schedule next season. She is so young and talented and she still has so much to give.

Overall my feeling about this championship: as people before said, too many great skaters to cheer for and too few places on the podium..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    Miki, Alissa, and Carolina. Who else?
    Given that all three skate clean. I would assume that one of the above bombs and Kanako will take third, but it's hard to predict who.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    I don't mind Mao's sit spin but I'm aware of what they are talking about.
    I think some people have problem with Mao's sit spin because her hip kind of slides down as she spins. Her free leg starts parallel with ice level then her hip slides down to lower position as she spins whereas her foot remains at same height as before when she does her first sit position. So her free leg kind of changes from -- position to slight / position while she spins. She doesn't exactly 'hold' her position for certain amount of revolution. It's not really about position but about 'holding' it IMO because you need to hold it to get higher level.
    I guess it's due to preference but it's still not against the rules per se. I actually liked it when she didn't do those deep sit spins.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    For the sake of discussion, if Yu-Na and Mao were not in the competition, which ladies do you think would most likely win medals at Worlds?
    I don't think Kim will even appear. She hasn't skated competitively for a year now and to go into a world championships cold is too much of an ask. I think she will either retire or start from scratch again next season - probably the latter (otherwise she would already retired).

As Mao is still going through her transition period and rejigging her jumps, I think her skating is still too fragile at the moment for her to win.

Hence, I think Miki Ando will win. She is the person in form and she already has a world title. Definitely not Kostner or Czisny - it only takes a modicum of pressure and they are on the floor. They simply haven't got the temperament to win a world title. I think Mao will come second and Flatt third.

Custom Title
    Actually Yu-Na has a couple of good reasons to compete at Worlds. First, in order for her to retain her #1 ISU World Ranking she needs to compete, and second I think Korea needs her to compete to retain some competition slots.
    Last edited by jatale; 03-08-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oksanafan View Post
    I don't think Kim will even appear. She hasn't skated competitively for a year now and to go into a world championships cold is too much of an ask. I think she will either retire or start from scratch again next season - probably the latter (otherwise she would already retired).
    I think Yu-Na has no choice but to compete, if Korea wants to secure spots for the next Worlds. They cannot rely on Kwak Min-Jeong to do so - although she skated so much better at the Asian Games and the FCC, she had so much problems with her jumps this season.

Even if Yu-Na decided not to carry on next season, securing spots (3 if possible) must mean a lot for the future of figure skating in Korea.

I do hope she will carry on until Sochi though... she's a lovely, sublime skater already, but I also love certain qualities (interpretation and expression, subtlety only one's real life experiences can bring to ice) often seen in more mature skaters, which I would love to see more in her.
    Last edited by mot; 03-08-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: woops, major mistake with double negatives!

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Although I like Murakami, I guess I'm more a fan of her potential , at this stage. It would be deeply unsatisfying for me if ,through some combination of events , she should wind up on the podium this year. I'd like to see her acquire some polish first.

I like Caro's programs very much this year. I'd love to see her put it all together and do really well. How well? I don't know, because I have a hard time what iff-ing here. Mao and Yuna will be there.. Mirai won't, Akiko won't, Laura won't..Miki's programs don't offend me this year , but they bore me...I don't like Rachael's programs ( too frantically flappy on EoE and SoTA is just..meh ; even the musical arrangement)..adore Alissa..but just don't know how to handicap the field without the big M and big Y.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 03-08-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oksanafan View Post

As Mao is still going through her transition period and rejigging her jumps, I think her skating is still too fragile at the moment for her to win.

Hence, I think Miki Ando will win. She is the person in form and she already has a world title. Definitely not Kostner or Czisny - it only takes a modicum of pressure and they are on the floor. They simply haven't got the temperament to win a world title. I think Mao will come second and Flatt third.
    She and her agency have made a big publicity in Korea out of her upcoming competition at Worlds. She has announced several times in the media in no uncertain terms that she will compete at Worlds. She had David Wilson choreograph both her programs, took on a new coach last summer and has trained several hours a day at the East-West ice rink since her last ice show in the fall.

She is already officially entered in the worlds roster as a direct competitor. Her agency said she will arrive in Tokyo on March 20th. How could anyone have any reasonable doubt as to whether she will actually show up?

Custom Title
    Yuna will be at Worlds, I'm sure, but I just don't think she will win. My guess is Miki wins, Yuna gets another silver or bronze and the remaining medal is a toss up between Mao, Carolina, Alissa, Kiira if they can hold it together or Rachael or Kanako if they can't.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast