Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 366

Thread: What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

  1. #46
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,226
    Okay here's my order. And I'll copy IP's format. And I'm just going to have fun with it.

    GOLD Alissa Czisny
    WHY: Because it would be a big **** you to all those folks calling her to retire last season. I know that IP had her in silver, but it would just be something if she won. And it would make it easy for Rachael to get back the three spots.

    SILVER Mao Asada
    WHY: Because she's a hard worker and I think she will lay it down, just like she did in 2010 Worlds, minus the URs.

    BRONZE Yuna Kim
    WHY: Because it's hard to say what not competing all year long will affect her. It might not. But that Airang program may be epic.

    4.) Miki Ando
    WHY: I actually wouldn't mind if she wins, for the same **** you she can give to some of her critics. (Though they will continue to blame her for the demise of skating). That said, I already gave that spot to Alissa and I have reasons for putting Mao and Yuna above her, so hence she's in fourth.

    5.) Rachael Flatt
    WHY: Judges like her EOE program. I want her to also give a big **** you to Aunt Joyce and all his crew by doing a 2A-3L and a 3F-3T. (Reach AJ's 4CC reflections for a point of reference.) Plus this would match her best placement from 2009.

    6.) Kanako Murakami
    WHY: I agree with IP that while she has great joy in her programs, that doesn't necessarily translate into artistry. That said, she does have a nice solid 3T-3T that gets good GOE.

    7.) Kiira Korpi
    WHY: Because she has beautiful programs this year and seems more consistent technically. She just needs to nail that Lutz

    8.) Carolina Kostner
    WHY: Because somehow she's the only one who manages to make the GPF, get a silver medal at that event and get a silver medal with simple tech content. If she's clean I expect her to be higher, but part me hopes that she will actually get the points suitable for the content she delivers.

    9.) Laura Lepisto
    WHY: Well I didn't realize she would be coming back. Ironically, she will have to skate the QR though it was her teammate that put her in that position in the first place. Anyway, judges love her and it would be nice of her not to go too far down the standings.

    10.) Cynthia Phaneuf.
    WHY: Despite a less-than-ideal performance at 4CC, she did fight for it, unlike her two teammates. She also showed last year that she can deliver if she's clean.

  2. #47
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,995
    I mostly agree with what Pogue said. This would be my hope for placements, if everyone's programs at Worlds are skated basically the best the skater can be expected to deliver:

    01. Yu-Na Kim ---> "But, Blades, if your judgement includes the quality of the programs, how can you say Yu-Na should be #1 when she hasn't shown her programs yet this season?". Because, I HAVE seen her programs. Tee hee, aren't you jealous? She will have the overall best combination of technical content and artistry if she skates her best.

    02. Alissa Czisny ---> The best Long Program of the season, has really improved her jumping, and excels in the non-jump technical areas.

    03. Mao Asada ---> Such a shame she changed her Long Program; it's no longer special. If she skated the pre-Four Continents version of the program with all of the planned technical content, then I'd say she deserves GOLD. Unfortunately, Bronze is all I would give her now. She doesn't have a good Short Program this season, so that doesn't help her either. Still, she is technically the best female in the World if she delivers. There are NO weaknesses with regards to her footwork/spins/spirals and she is of course a phenomenal jumper at her best. Her basic skating is excellent as well.

    04. Kanako Murakami ---> Her programs are delightful and have been rather underestimated. Technically she is up there as well.

    05. Kiira Korpi ----> How lovely to see her trying hard to be the best she possibly can be this season. Her programs, while not masterpieces in their current forms, certainly have charm. Her tech content is solid.

    06. Rachael Flatt ---> A good SP and her LP has improved from horrible to serviceable. If she does her best, she will have more technical content than Kostner (with nearly equal presentation overall) and about equal technical content to Ando (with better presentation).

    07. Carolina Kostner ---> Upping the technical content at Europeans was good to see. If she skates her best the tech content will now be competitive enough such that great programs/performances would deserve to hold her to a high standing...but I actually don't think her programs are GREAT. So, 7th.

    08. Miki Ando ---> Extremely overrated. I don't like her programs. Her spins are average. Her jumping is great quality but with relatively CONSERVATIVE layouts given her talent.

    09. Alena Leonova ---> She has spunk and would certainly deserve a top 10 placement if she delivers.

    10. Cynthia Phaneuf ---> Needs more technical content and more personality in her skating. Still, she is better than the rest of the contenders from this point that we'll see at Worlds.

  3. #48
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I mostly agree with what Pogue said. This would be my hope for placements, if everyone's programs at Worlds are skated basically the best the skater can be expected to deliver:

    01. Yu-Na Kim ---> "But, Blades, if your judgement includes the quality of the programs, how can you say Yu-Na should be #1 when she hasn't shown her programs yet this season?". Because, I HAVE seen her programs. Tee hee, aren't you jealous? She will have the overall best combination of technical content and artistry if she skates her best.
    Care to share? I'm more curious about her SP, Giselle program because the music is ballet and Yuna is not known for her balletic style.

    Anyway, what do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies?

    Just overall good skating. That's all.

  4. #49
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind if Alissa manages to pull of a win. It'll be a wonderful movie-style ending to her miraculous comeback season. Also, I think it'll be exciting to have new world champion for a change.

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    Care to share? I'm more curious about her SP, Giselle program because the music is ballet and Yuna is not known for her balletic style.

    Anyway, what do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies?

    Just overall good skating. That's all.
    Huh? What you mean she is not known for balletic style?? Yuna is known as one of the most balletic skaters in the sport's history. Geez.

  6. #51
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I mostly agree with what Pogue said. This would be my hope for placements, if everyone's programs at Worlds are skated basically the best the skater can be expected to deliver:

    01. Yu-Na Kim ---> "But, Blades, if your judgement includes the quality of the programs, how can you say Yu-Na should be #1 when she hasn't shown her programs yet this season?". Because, I HAVE seen her programs. Tee hee, aren't you jealous? She will have the overall best combination of technical content and artistry if she skates her best.

    02. Alissa Czisny ---> The best Long Program of the season, has really improved her jumping, and excels in the non-jump technical areas.

    03. Mao Asada ---> Such a shame she changed her Long Program; it's no longer special. If she skated the pre-Four Continents version of the program with all of the planned technical content, then I'd say she deserves GOLD. Unfortunately, Bronze is all I would give her now. She doesn't have a good Short Program this season, so that doesn't help her either. Still, she is technically the best female in the World if she delivers. There are NO weaknesses with regards to her footwork/spins/spirals and she is of course a phenomenal jumper at her best. Her basic skating is excellent as well.

    04. Kanako Murakami ---> Her programs are delightful and have been rather underestimated. Technically she is up there as well.

    05. Kiira Korpi ----> How lovely to see her trying hard to be the best she possibly can be this season. Her programs, while not masterpieces in their current forms, certainly have charm. Her tech content is solid.

    06. Rachael Flatt ---> A good SP and her LP has improved from horrible to serviceable. If she does her best, she will have more technical content than Kostner (with nearly equal presentation overall) and about equal technical content to Ando (with better presentation).

    07. Carolina Kostner ---> Upping the technical content at Europeans was good to see. If she skates her best the tech content will now be competitive enough such that great programs/performances would deserve to hold her to a high standing...but I actually don't think her programs are GREAT. So, 7th.

    08. Miki Ando ---> Extremely overrated. I don't like her programs. Her spins are average. Her jumping is great quality but with relatively CONSERVATIVE layouts given her talent.

    09. Alena Leonova ---> She has spunk and would certainly deserve a top 10 placement if she delivers.

    10. Cynthia Phaneuf ---> Needs more technical content and more personality in her skating. Still, she is better than the rest of the contenders from this point that we'll see at Worlds.
    Read my mind.

  7. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by parma View Post
    Huh? What you mean she is not known for balletic style?? Yuna is known as one of the most balletic skaters in the sport's history. Geez.
    Yuna has been known to struggle with turnout and pointing her feet.

  8. #53
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,517
    I don't know whether she struggles with it? Does she actually care about it at all? Has she ever said?

  9. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I don't know whether she struggles with it? Does she actually care about it at all? Has she ever said?
    Yeah I guess "struggle" wasn't the right word. I should have said she doesn't normally focus on pointing her feet or turning out.

  10. #55
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Turnout would be hard to aquire at this point, but I bet we'll see Yu Na pointing her toes as Giselle. She seems absolutely typecast for that program, IMO. Can't wait to see it. Can't believe we have another month of these threads....

  11. #56
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I don't know whether she struggles with it? Does she actually care about it at all? Has she ever said?
    Someone quoted Orser as saying that he tried to get her to point her toes, but she doesn't like to. I wish I could remember where I read that, but I can't. For some reason I can believe it, though. If you can win consistently medals and post high scores without toe-point, why do it if you don't like to?

  12. #57
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I mostly agree with what Pogue said. This would be my hope for placements, if everyone's programs at Worlds are skated basically the best the skater can be expected to deliver:

    01. Yu-Na Kim ---> "But, Blades, if your judgement includes the quality of the programs, how can you say Yu-Na should be #1 when she hasn't shown her programs yet this season?". Because, I HAVE seen her programs. Tee hee, aren't you jealous? She will have the overall best combination of technical content and artistry if she skates her best.
    If there are any further impressions or comments you feel you could share, BOP, I'd be very grateful .

  13. #58
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I mostly agree with what Pogue said. This would be my hope for placements, if everyone's programs at Worlds are skated basically the best the skater can be expected to deliver:

    01. Yu-Na Kim ---> "But, Blades, if your judgement includes the quality of the programs, how can you say Yu-Na should be #1 when she hasn't shown her programs yet this season?". Because, I HAVE seen her programs. Tee hee, aren't you jealous? She will have the overall best combination of technical content and artistry if she skates her best.

    You HAVE????? Yes, I am insanely jealous. No fair. No, actually, great to hear that you like her programs so far. I can't wait. She's such a wild card in this competition.

    Alissa's LP is my favorite of the season, too. But I haven't seen Yuna yet.

    Huh? What you mean she is not known for balletic style?? Yuna is known as one of the most balletic skaters in the sport's history. Geez.
    No, she's not. She'll never be balletic as long as her turnout and toe point are non-existent. Spun is right: turnout might be out of her reach right now - at least a vast improvement. It's something you have to work on from the beginning.

    Yuna makes up for it with her speed and musicality and in spite of the bad turnout she's very graceful. Pointing her toes would give her just that extra tiny bit of polish. But she's wonderful without it... I'm curious about Giselle, too. But I think she'll pull it off.

  14. #59
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    If there are any further impressions or comments you feel you could share, BOP, I'd be very grateful .
    Saying much more would be disrespectful. Yu-Na has chosen to unveil her programs at Worlds and skaters/coaches from the rink should not be talking about details just because they've seen it. I'm very happy that Yu-Na has chosen to train here in LA, though.

  15. #60
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Yuna makes up for it with her speed and musicality and in spite of the bad turnout she's very graceful. Pointing her toes would give her just that extra tiny bit of polish. But she's wonderful without it... I'm curious about Giselle, too. But I think she'll pull it off.
    I'm curious as well! I always loved Katia's verison of Giselle. She was perfect for the part. I don't think one has to necessarily be balletic to pull it off. Yukari did a wonderful job with Giselle and she isn't really known for her positions/extensions. The elminiation of the spiral also helps her in one sense.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •