What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

Saying much more would be disrespectful. Yu-Na has chosen to unveil her programs at Worlds and skaters/coaches from the rink should not be talking about details just because they've seen it.

No, I think Yu-na would be secretly pleased if you would give a full review and critique as an exclusive scoop to Golden Skate. I think she has been looking for a way to get public feedback on her programs, but just didn't know anyone who would kindly help her get the details out. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm curious as well! I always loved Katia's verison of Giselle. She was perfect for the part. I don't think one has to necessarily be balletic to pull it off. Yukari did a wonderful job with Giselle and she isn't really known for her positions/extensions. The elminiation of the spiral also helps her in one sense.

I suppose in terms of the look of the program it will help. It helps practically every skater except Alissa and maybe Mao.
But Yuna actually got high marks for her spiral sequences, no? I mean, her positions were acceptable and she covered much ice. Last year I gave her credit for one of most improved spirals ever. Her back position was so much better than back in 06-07 and her free leg was steadier too.
Now, if only she had pointed her toe.
The other thing is that Yuna (well, David Wilson I guess) managed to make the spiral sequence musical in both her SP and her LP last year. I really appreciated that.
OOOOO.. now I'm getting really excited to see Yuna again!!

Robeye

Final Flight
Saying much more would be disrespectful. Yu-Na has chosen to unveil her programs at Worlds and skaters/coaches from the rink should not be talking about details just because they've seen it. I'm very happy that Yu-Na has chosen to train here in LA, though. :biggrin:

Well, my principles and my curiosity were having a true civil war on this one, but my genuine respect for your principles staggered away the winner...but only just ;).

Thanks a bunch for bringing the news, anyway. Nice fuel for musings during short coffeebreaks :yes:.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I want Alissa to win gold.

I want my faves, Alissa, Mao and Yu Na to all skate perfectly and get no UR calls. And for Yu Na to do a 3loop in the FS. In such a scenario, Yu Na would win gold, no question. So it's not really compatible with my first wish. Oh well, make it happen, skating genie.

I want the judging and tech calls to be fair.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I want Rachael to win gold. Then she can go to school and get a real job and be happy with her results. Maybe come back for Sochi. :thumbsup:

Her 4cc EX.

Around 0:52
The boy commentator: "blah blah Stanford blah blah"
The girl commentator: "Wowwww Stanford blah blah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxf99tdgMXs

R.D.

Record Breaker
My wishes are pretty short and simple.

- USA gets 3 spots back.

- Sure would be nice to end that 4-year medal drought...

prettykeys

Medalist
I mostly agree with what Pogue said. This would be my hope for placements, if everyone's programs at Worlds are skated basically the best the skater can be expected to deliver:

01. Yu-Na Kim ---> "But, Blades, if your judgement includes the quality of the programs, how can you say Yu-Na should be #1 when she hasn't shown her programs yet this season?". Because, I HAVE seen her programs. Tee hee, aren't you jealous? :biggrin: She will have the overall best combination of technical content and artistry if she skates her best.
I am crazy jealous! :bang::cry: And I respect you so much for not publicly divulging the details of the programs on YuNa's behalf.

Krislite

Medalist
Saying much more would be disrespectful. Yu-Na has chosen to unveil her programs at Worlds and skaters/coaches from the rink should not be talking about details just because they've seen it. I'm very happy that Yu-Na has chosen to train here in LA, though. :biggrin:

You skate in the East-West rink? I know it's open to the public at certain times but I thought Yuna trains in private sessions.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
So why bring it up in the first place? Just to gloat?

I was providing my assessment of how the skaters should place, given their programs and realistic tech content at best and other qualities, so it would be disingenuous to say I feel Yu-Na would deserve to place 1st if I didn't mention that I've seen the programs.

Laura Lepisto is not on the list because, while she would probably be top 10 material if she has regained her form, I haven't seen her programs to know for sure.

Can you at least tell us which act of Giselle it's based on? That's not much to ask. ;)

This would be fine to answer, except I don't know the acts of Giselle. It sounded more like Miki Ando's Giselle than Yukari Nakano's Giselle, if that helps? Or at least, the program seemed to be more about the quicker tempos than the slower (in her LP it's the other way around).

You skate in the East-West rink? I know it's open to the public at certain times but I thought Yuna trains in private sessions.

It's not actually my primary rink but I've been to some closed sessions.

jatale

On the Ice
I would think it might be prudent for Yu-Na to have a few closed performances with some guest judges present to get a handle on what is working or not in her programs. I don't know if this is standard practice or not in the skating world. Yu-Na, Brian and David did an outstanding job of composing her programs from 2008 on. I hope that Yu-Na, Peter, and David can do the same going forward. With the right programs, and with Yu-Na skating her best she will remain unbeatable and we as fans will be treated to some exceptional skating that will long be remembered.

I, of course, do want all the women to skate their best. A good competition requires that. I do hope that Rachel goes out in style - she'll love Stanford next year (I'm an alum). I hope Alissa skates her best, she can be wonderful and it would be great for the USA to get three spots back. Miki and Mao impressed me at the 4CC, so I expect them to perform well too. I'm hoping for a good World competition all around.

Robeye

Final Flight
I was providing my assessment of how the skaters should place, given their programs and realistic tech content at best and other qualities, so it would be disingenuous to say I feel Yu-Na would deserve to place 1st if I didn't mention that I've seen the programs.

Laura Lepisto is not on the list because, while she would probably be top 10 material if she has regained her form, I haven't seen her programs to know for sure.

This would be fine to answer, except I don't know the acts of Giselle. It sounded more like Miki Ando's Giselle than Yukari Nakano's Giselle, if that helps? Or at least, the program seemed to be more about the quicker tempos than the slower (in her LP it's the other way around).

It's not actually my primary rink but I've been to some closed sessions.
Thanks for the tantalizing tidbits, BOP! I've got a zillion questions I'd love to ask, but I'll stop pestering you (for now).:)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

For what it's worth, I'm totally fine with you gloating!

jatale, I do think that is standard practice. I'm pretty sure V/M have done a lot of that this season, for comparison.

I don't predict in this slippery sport, but I see the possibility of fans predicting the podium and getting at least two out of three correct.

So for me, it is (in no particular order) Carolina, Mao and Yuna. I'm assuming Carolina will repeat her exquisite GP program at Worlds, and Mao will not fall back as she did in GPs, and Yuna, I'm just guessing. I haven't seen her.

But I am sure I got 2 out of 3 for the podium.

mot

On the Ice
I'd like to see, amongst many other things, at the Worlds...;

• (yet another) perfect performance by Miki
  • epitome of beauty in Carolina and Alissa
  • exquisite Mao
  • sublime Yu-Na
  • Alena's smile at K&C
  • Jenna's lutz
  • Kanako's smile from the beginning to the end, in abundance
  • Rachel pumping fists with joy
  • Kiira skating her free programme clean
  • Elene nailing all jumps
  • Laura skate, full stop...

and I want...

• All the girls to go home happy and ready to tackle next season;
  • All the women to go home satisfied and motivated for another season;
  • All the ladies to let themselves go a bit after the competition finishes, and really enjoy wonderful Japanese food (and sweets!) till their heart's content. :)

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
1. YuNa Kim...HEALTHY and WELL PREPARED YuNa is UNBEATABLE.

2. Mao Asada...Mao is the only person who can overtake YuNa.
3. Miki Ando...She is a Bronze medal contender last two years.

I don't understand what Mao has done to her jumps after all those suffering...
1. Her 3Axel was better at the Olympic in Vancouver.
2. She still FLUTZs.
3. Her Flip is still same.
4. NO IMPROVEMENT AT ALL.

Why bothered to change?