What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

treeloving

Medalist
I want Miki to win!

She is a powerful, solid, on-fire performer with big jump and she continue to improve.

I also has a soft spot for her as there are so many Miki hater.

It would also be great if Alisa can get medal.

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
What is it about Asia that you would want domination?

Some people enjoy Sports as universal. May the best athlete win from wherever he comes.

The best athlete should win from wherever he comes. I seriously doubt ...

could Kostner win a medal in 2008 if it was not in Europe?
could Rochette win a medal in 2009 if it was not in North America?
could Lepisto win a medal in 2010 if it was not in Europe?

This year, it's going to be fairest event (I hope).

I think NMURA is right that there is a tendency to use the bronze medal to give a boost to the home town crowd, to reward the host nation for putting on the show, and for balancing out the podium in the case of a sweep.

For ladies this year, that could help someone like Alissa. If Miki and Mao go 1-2, the judges may feel sorry for other parts of the world and score Murakami a little lower.

wallylutz

Medalist

:rolleye:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Riiiiiiiight, NMURA, as you are clearly being "fair" in your biased analysis. A big :rolleye: is right.

jatale

On the Ice
I think if everyone were to present three lists for what they think will happen at World's it would be interesting: list-1 assuming everyone skates their best, list-2 what you think is likely to happen, and list-3 your wish list for the top-3. For me this year: List-1 is: Yu-Na, Mao, then Miki (but the Miki/Mao race will be very close). List-2 is very difficult for me to guess, but if Yu-Na is rattled due to lack of competition this year, then the list could be Mao, Yu-Na, then Miki. My list-3 would be Yu-Na, Miki, then Alissa.

(Modified to use Mao instead of Asada, all first names, sorry about that.)

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if everyone were to present three lists for what they think will happen at World's it would be interesting: list-1 assuming everyone skates their best, list-2 what you think is likely to happen, and list-3 your wish list for the top-3. For me this year: List-1 is: Yu-Na, Asada, then Miki (but the Miki/Asada race will be very close). List-2 is very difficult for me to guess, but if Yu-Na is rattled due to lack of competition this year, then the list could be Asada, Yu-Na, then Miki. My list-3 would be Yu-Na, Miki, then Alissa.

Okay, I'll bite! :)

List 1:
1. Yu-Na
2. Mao
3. Carolina

List 2:
1. Miki
2. Yu-Na
3. Mao

or

1. Miki
2. Carolina
3. Kanako

List 3:
1. Carolina
2. Alissa
3. Miki

I would be very surprised to see the podium not include 3 from Yu-Na, Mao, Miki, Carolina, Alissa, and Kanako.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think if everyone were to present three lists for what they think will happen at World's it would be interesting: list-1 assuming everyone skates their best, list-2 what you think is likely to happen, and list-3 your wish list for the top-3. For me this year: List-1 is: Yu-Na, Asada, then Miki (but the Miki/Asada race will be very close). List-2 is very difficult for me to guess, but if Yu-Na is rattled due to lack of competition this year, then the list could be Asada, Yu-Na, then Miki. My list-3 would be Yu-Na, Miki, then Alissa.

I always do the list based on if everyone skates their best. Otherwise, I get afraid of jinxing people or coming across as mean (i.e. hoping a skater will falter which I never really do.)

Here's my list if everyone skates their best:
1. Yuna
2. Mao
3. Miki
4. Alissa
5. Carolina
6. Murakami
7. Rachael
8. Korpi
9. Laura Cynthia
10. Cynthia

(or maybe the last four could be mixed around, I dunno. Hard to judge beyond the top 3)

What I think could happen

1. Miki
2. Mao
3. Yuna
4. Alissa
5. Rachael
6. Murakami
7. Carolina (this is if she makes mistakes. otherwise, she'll be top five)
8. Korpi
9. Ksenia
10.Cynthia
11. Alena
12. Laura (it's sort of impossible to predict Lepisto but it's hard to expect much of her given her injuries and this being her first comp of the season and all.)
hey. I'm an optimist about the American girls :)

What I want to happen. That one is really tough because it involves wanting some really great skaters to falter to and I really can't honestly want that.
I'd love to see Alissa medal but I also want Mao to skate the best she ever has this season and Yuna to have a successful comeback and it would be sad to see Miki finish off the podium after such a great season.

So if everyone skates well and the results turn out to be like list 1 or even list 2 I'd be happy.
I think the list 2 would sort of spread the love around pretty well:
-Miki would have her second world title before taking her year off or retiring or whatever her plans are.
-Mao would prove she's amazing even when trying to rework her jumps, and next year she can start winning everything on her way to winning gold in Sochi. Or better yet, start a rivalry with a resurgent Mirai Nagasu :biggrin:
Yuna will prove she's the bomb and can waltz into worlds after skipping a year of competition and still medal. Who knows maybe that will rekindle her desire for competition for good and she'll keep going until Sochi, which I would love.
-And Alissa would have her best world placement ever, get the third spot back and, if she doesn't keep competing, be a lovely fixture on stars on ice where she can be introduced as a two time national champion and the 2010 GPF champion :)

Last edited:
My list is exactly the same as Layfans.

1, Yu-na, Mao, Miki.

2. Miki, Mao, Yu-na

3. I can't do it because there are only three spots on the podium.

miki88

Medalist
I would love the podium to be Mao, Yuna, Alissa in no particular order. But I think Miki will be on the podium. I also won't count out Murakami to surprise because she's proven to be quite a fierce competitor. If one or two of the top skaters falter, she has the chance for a medal.

Figure88

On the Ice
My list is exactly the same as Layfans.

1, Yu-na, Mao, Miki.

2. Miki, Mao, Yu-na

3. I can't do it because there are only three spots on the podium.

I agree, the podium will most likely consist of a combination Yu-Na, Miki and Mao.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I would love the podium to be Mao, Yuna, Alissa in no particular order. But I think Miki will be on the podium. I also won't count out Murakami to surprise Mbecause she's proven to be quite a fierce competitor. If one or two of the top skaters falter, she has the chance for a medal.

That's true. Murakami could certainly be the surprise medalist. It'll be interesting to see how she does at her first worlds. Sometimes, you can get overwhelmed but Murakami hasn't seemed like the type. Plus, she'll be under a less pressure than her Japanese teammates.

The way I see it, Alissa, Carolina, Kanako, Rachael and Kiira have the best shots and soaring through any doors left open and grabbing a medal.

On a side note, I keep wanting to throw Mirai and Akiko into the mix and then I remember that they won't be there. Bummer. :cry:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with those who think this will be another Asian sweep. Sigh, I'll avoid saying anything else.

In any case, I hope Flatt and Czisny at least hang in the top 6 like they did at 4CC, then we'll be good.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

1. Yes. Unless you believe that the technical judge was too harsh on Nakano's URs, but those were what cost her.

2. Yes. Given that she won silver, and Asada had her least impressive skates since becoming a senior, it's likely that anywhere Rochette would've earned a medal.

3. Yes. That was a terribly skated event.

Layfan, Murakami had that terrible free at NHK