Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    In any case, no Japanese judges in Tokyo except for Ice Dance. Conscequence of a draw. http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2152
    That won't make much difference. There was no Japanese judge in men and ladies event at Torino worlds. Maybe someone is sitting at the technical panel.

I think NMURA is right that there is a tendency to use the bronze medal to give a boost to the home town crowd, to reward the host nation for putting on the show, and for balancing out the podium in the case of a sweep.

For ladies this year, that could help someone like Alissa. If Miki and Mao go 1-2, the judges may feel sorry for other parts of the world and score Murakami a little lower.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Math you're forgetting Yu Na!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    The best athlete should win from wherever he comes. I seriously doubt ...

could Kostner win a medal in 2008 if it was not in Europe?
    could Rochette win a medal in 2009 if it was not in North America?
    could Lepisto win a medal in 2010 if it was not in Europe?

This year, it's going to be fairest event (I hope).

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Riiiiiiiight, NMURA, as you are clearly being "fair" in your biased analysis. A big is right.

On the Ice
    NMURA, Who do you think should have won instead?

Custom Title
    I think if everyone were to present three lists for what they think will happen at World's it would be interesting: list-1 assuming everyone skates their best, list-2 what you think is likely to happen, and list-3 your wish list for the top-3. For me this year: List-1 is: Yu-Na, Mao, then Miki (but the Miki/Mao race will be very close). List-2 is very difficult for me to guess, but if Yu-Na is rattled due to lack of competition this year, then the list could be Mao, Yu-Na, then Miki. My list-3 would be Yu-Na, Miki, then Alissa.

(Modified to use Mao instead of Asada, all first names, sorry about that.)
    Last edited by jatale; 02-26-2011 at 04:18 PM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    I think if everyone were to present three lists for what they think will happen at World's it would be interesting: list-1 assuming everyone skates their best, list-2 what you think is likely to happen, and list-3 your wish list for the top-3. For me this year: List-1 is: Yu-Na, Asada, then Miki (but the Miki/Asada race will be very close). List-2 is very difficult for me to guess, but if Yu-Na is rattled due to lack of competition this year, then the list could be Asada, Yu-Na, then Miki. My list-3 would be Yu-Na, Miki, then Alissa.
    Okay, I'll bite!

List 1:
    1. Yu-Na
    2. Mao
    3. Carolina

List 2:
    1. Miki
    2. Yu-Na
    3. Mao

or

1. Miki
    2. Carolina
    3. Kanako

List 3:
    1. Carolina
    2. Alissa
    3. Miki

I would be very surprised to see the podium not include 3 from Yu-Na, Mao, Miki, Carolina, Alissa, and Kanako.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 02-26-2011 at 04:37 PM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    I think if everyone were to present three lists for what they think will happen at World's it would be interesting: list-1 assuming everyone skates their best, list-2 what you think is likely to happen, and list-3 your wish list for the top-3. For me this year: List-1 is: Yu-Na, Asada, then Miki (but the Miki/Asada race will be very close). List-2 is very difficult for me to guess, but if Yu-Na is rattled due to lack of competition this year, then the list could be Asada, Yu-Na, then Miki. My list-3 would be Yu-Na, Miki, then Alissa.
    I always do the list based on if everyone skates their best. Otherwise, I get afraid of jinxing people or coming across as mean (i.e. hoping a skater will falter which I never really do.)

Here's my list if everyone skates their best:
    1. Yuna
    2. Mao
    3. Miki
    4. Alissa
    5. Carolina
    6. Murakami
    7. Rachael
    8. Korpi
    9. Laura Cynthia
    10. Cynthia

(or maybe the last four could be mixed around, I dunno. Hard to judge beyond the top 3)

What I think could happen

1. Miki
    2. Mao
    3. Yuna
    4. Alissa
    5. Rachael
    6. Murakami
    7. Carolina (this is if she makes mistakes. otherwise, she'll be top five)
    8. Korpi
    9. Ksenia
    10.Cynthia
    11. Alena
    12. Laura (it's sort of impossible to predict Lepisto but it's hard to expect much of her given her injuries and this being her first comp of the season and all.)
    hey. I'm an optimist about the American girls

What I want to happen. That one is really tough because it involves wanting some really great skaters to falter to and I really can't honestly want that.
    I'd love to see Alissa medal but I also want Mao to skate the best she ever has this season and Yuna to have a successful comeback and it would be sad to see Miki finish off the podium after such a great season.

So if everyone skates well and the results turn out to be like list 1 or even list 2 I'd be happy.
    I think the list 2 would sort of spread the love around pretty well:
    -Miki would have her second world title before taking her year off or retiring or whatever her plans are.
    -Mao would prove she's amazing even when trying to rework her jumps, and next year she can start winning everything on her way to winning gold in Sochi. Or better yet, start a rivalry with a resurgent Mirai Nagasu
    Yuna will prove she's the bomb and can waltz into worlds after skipping a year of competition and still medal. Who knows maybe that will rekindle her desire for competition for good and she'll keep going until Sochi, which I would love.
    -And Alissa would have her best world placement ever, get the third spot back and, if she doesn't keep competing, be a lovely fixture on stars on ice where she can be introduced as a two time national champion and the 2010 GPF champion
    Last edited by Layfan; 02-26-2011 at 03:19 PM.

My list is exactly the same as Layfans.

1, Yu-na, Mao, Miki.

2. Miki, Mao, Yu-na

3. I can't do it because there are only three spots on the podium.

Mashimaro on Ice
    I would love the podium to be Mao, Yuna, Alissa in no particular order. But I think Miki will be on the podium. I also won't count out Murakami to surprise because she's proven to be quite a fierce competitor. If one or two of the top skaters falter, she has the chance for a medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    My list is exactly the same as Layfans.

1, Yu-na, Mao, Miki.

2. Miki, Mao, Yu-na

3. I can't do it because there are only three spots on the podium.
    I agree, the podium will most likely consist of a combination Yu-Na, Miki and Mao.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I would love the podium to be Mao, Yuna, Alissa in no particular order. But I think Miki will be on the podium. I also won't count out Murakami to surprise Mbecause she's proven to be quite a fierce competitor. If one or two of the top skaters falter, she has the chance for a medal.
    That's true. Murakami could certainly be the surprise medalist. It'll be interesting to see how she does at her first worlds. Sometimes, you can get overwhelmed but Murakami hasn't seemed like the type. Plus, she'll be under a less pressure than her Japanese teammates.

The way I see it, Alissa, Carolina, Kanako, Rachael and Kiira have the best shots and soaring through any doors left open and grabbing a medal.

On a side note, I keep wanting to throw Mirai and Akiko into the mix and then I remember that they won't be there. Bummer.
    Last edited by Layfan; 02-26-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Down With It
    I agree with those who think this will be another Asian sweep. Sigh, I'll avoid saying anything else.

In any case, I hope Flatt and Czisny at least hang in the top 6 like they did at 4CC, then we'll be good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    The best athlete should win from wherever he comes. I seriously doubt ...

could Kostner win a medal in 2008 if it was not in Europe?
    could Rochette win a medal in 2009 if it was not in North America?
    could Lepisto win a medal in 2010 if it was not in Europe?

This year, it's going to be fairest event (I hope).
    1. Yes. Unless you believe that the technical judge was too harsh on Nakano's URs, but those were what cost her.

2. Yes. Given that she won silver, and Asada had her least impressive skates since becoming a senior, it's likely that anywhere Rochette would've earned a medal.

3. Yes. That was a terribly skated event.

Layfan, Murakami had that terrible free at NHK

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast