Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

Look at the synopsis below. Can anyone see anything special in Worlds?

We haven't seen Yuna since WHEN? and was she at her BEST?
    Mao was GOOD in her home Nationals. What else?
    Miki is an example of perfect Rules and Regulations including Definitions.
    Czisny won the GPF. Can she continue winning?
    Carolina was the silver medalist at GPF and also Euros.

I would suggest we look for the makeup of the Technical Panel, and the nationalities of the Panel of Judges.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    1. Yes. Unless you believe that the technical judge was too harsh on Nakano's URs, but those were what cost her.

2. Yes. Given that she won silver, and Asada had her least impressive skates since becoming a senior, it's likely that anywhere Rochette would've earned a medal.

3. Yes. That was a terribly skated event.

Layfan, Murakami had that terrible free at NHK
    That's true. In my predictions, I sort of had Murakami making enough mistakes that Rachael would end up ahead of her. Plus, IMO, Alissa and Carolina should beat Kanako IF IF they are clean. But the way Miki88 put it, you really can't count Murakami out. She has a difficult jump layout and a lot of charisma, even if her skating is a little wild and unpolished, to my eye. And at GPF, she was, shockingly, the only Japanese lady to medal. Anyhow, I see her as a medal contender, not a favorite.

Czisny won the GPF. Can she continue 'winning?

I would suggest we look for the makeup of the Technical Panel, and the nationalities of the Panel of Judges.
    Well, you never know where special moments are going to come from in figure skating. I remember we all expected the ladies to be an uninspiring splatfest at the Olympics last year. Mao was falling apart (until nationals) Miki and Joannie were up and down, the American and Euro ladies were meh. Turns out it was one of the best skated ladies Olympic competition ever and the top four ladies certainly gave me special moments.

This year it's post Olympics so I don't expect as much .. but I can think of several special moments I'm hoping for.
    Last edited by Layfan; 02-26-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

Czisny won the GPF. Can she continue winning?
    Frankly, Yuna doesn't need to be at her best to medal. And the 4CC performances of Mao and Miki were better than Czisny and Carolina's at their respective events. And I do prefer Czisny's style to Miki's but the latter has more technical content.

ITA with what Layfan said. Worlds is a special competition. It's the most prestigious one after the Olympics, so skaters are usually more driven to show their best. I think a few surprises are bound to happen this year.
    Last edited by miki88; 02-26-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Frankly, Yuna doesn't need to be at her best to medal. And the 4CC performances of Mao and Miki were better than Czisny and Carolina's at their respective events. And I do prefer Czisny's style to Miki's but the latter has more technical content.
    Those are opinions. No problem.

Layfan: Murakami has two Flips in her program - one gets some points for a Lutz which didn't happen; the other full credit for a Flip. for me, that is deliberate and worse than an underrotation.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Those are opinions. No problem.

Layfan: Murakami has two Flips in her program - one gets some points for a Lutz which didn't happen; the other full credit for a Flip. for me, that is deliberate and worse than an underrotation.

Are you talking about a wrong edge take off on her Lutz? She certainly isn't the only lady with that problem. In any case, I'm not saying I'm her biggest fan - her entries into her jumps look awkward even to an amateur viewer like me - but I still think you can't count her out and the judges seem to love her.

On the Ice
    I want Rachael and Alissa to get 3 spots back for the us ladies. Its soo sad that Mirai Doesn't get to go to worlds :(

Tripping on the Podium
    What I want to see..

* Laura on the podium again (preferably with more than 3 triples!)

* Yuna doing 2 clean programs for the 2nd time in her career

* Alissa proving that she didn't peak too early in the season

* Carolina's 3F-3T

* Miki finishing the season with no major mistake in her LP in any competition

* A lip or flutz getting 0 points for violation of Zayak rule
    (I don't have any skater particular in mind. I just hate seeing 3 same triple jumps. )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    1. Yes. Unless you believe that the technical judge was too harsh on Nakano's URs, but those were what cost her.

2. Yes. Given that she won silver, and Asada had her least impressive skates since becoming a senior, it's likely that anywhere Rochette would've earned a medal.

3. Yes. That was a terribly skated event.

Layfan, Murakami had that terrible free at NHK
    Thanx for your personal opnion. I think the only conditional "yes" is Kostner's case. She gained full base values and that's very valuable under COP. Rochette was blatantly held up in the SP. She should be under Ando and that's enough for missing the podium. The ISU needed some one from the Olympics host country as a medal contender. In this year, Ando and Asada can be considered as co-favorites. Asian domination is almost inevitable. Flatt can be the only possible spoiler, when both Kim and Murakami falter.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Thanx for your personal opnion. I think the only conditional "yes" is Kostner's case. She gained full base values and that's very valuable under COP. Rochette was blatantly held up in the SP. She should be under Ando and that's enough for missing the podium. The ISU needed some one from the Olympics host country as a medal contender. In this year, Ando and Asada can be considered as co-favorites. Asian domination is almost inevitable. Flatt can be the only possible spoiler, when both Kim and Murakami falter.
    ISU needed someone...? Surely it was a perfect joke for Asada to get silver medal at Vancouver. Jokes happened again at 4cc this year when Ando got huge GOE and PCS in painfully slow and plain performance and Asada gained +GOE on two footed and underrotated jumps. It would be interesting to see how THEY force tech panel & judges to close their eyes on Japanese girls' flaws and how to damage Yuna at Worlds. Poor JSF, such a long and big effort with huge money has never overcome Yuna.
    Last edited by mcc; 02-28-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: additional

Mashimaro on Ice
    Oh dear here we go again with the same arguments over and over.

Custom Title
    Yeah, Koreans are really upset with 4CC results.

I remember Kim herself "declared" to participate worlds a few days after TEB. Wasn't it too early to be so optimistic? She'd better wait after 4CC anyway. Brace yourself. I'm pretty sure any of Kim's past performances except that of Vancouver are not enough to win in Tokyo.
    Last edited by NMURA; 02-28-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    What I want to see..

* A lip or flutz getting 0 points for violation of Zayak rule
    (I don't have any skater particular in mind. I just hate seeing 3 same triple jumps. )
    I agree also. When they use the term wrong edge takeoff they are trying avoid the Zayak rule. The Definition of a Lutz and Flip by its take-off is much too difficult for skaters who do not practice the proper jumps. There are two Flips or two Lutzes in the program and each one has to get 0 points. The Technique of the competitor is overlooked resulting in duplicate jumps. I wonder how they arrived at giving a 'no named' jump partial credit?

Custom Title
    Based on the new rules, Kim's (total) TES of past competitions would be like this.

Kim 2009 worlds 94.6
    Kim 2009 TEB 99.2
    Kim Olympics 107.7

Ando 2011 4CC 108.7
    Asada 2011 4CC 103.4

We can say Ando has hit the limit with her current jump layout. In fact it's more like outrageous than generous, something comparable to Kim at Vancouver. Asada could add 8-9 points in the TES if she skates cleanly. All triples FS would be a strong appeal to the judges and the PCS booster. To counter Asada, Kim will need the extremely difficult 3loop. If she doesn't fall or pop, Kim can narrow the base value gap with Asada to 6 points. But don't expect huge PCS advantages. IT'S IN TOKYO. In cases of "away" competitions, you cannot win by PCS only. Even for the case of controversial Skate America, Murakami's TES was a little higher than Flatt.
    Last edited by NMURA; 02-28-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Custom Title
    Rochette's PCS should've been ahead of Ando's, rather unquestionably. And again, why do you think Asada would've caught Rochette if Rochette was fourth in the SP? She beat Asada in the LP as well. Ando's PCS have been blatantly held up for years.

lowtherlore
    Yeah, Koreans are really upset with 4CC results.

I remember Kim herself "declared" to participate worlds a few days after TEB. Wasn't it too early to be so optimistic? She'd better wait after 4CC anyway. Brace yourself. I'm pretty sure any of Kim's past performances except that of Vancouver are not enough to win in Tokyo.
    No, it was well before the start of the season (in July) that Yu-Na said she would skip the GP series and go to Worlds. You can express whatever opinion you might have, but please, and this is not the first time I’m saying this to you, DON'T DISTORT THE FACTS to suit your purpose or argument, Nomura-San.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 02-28-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast