What do you want to see at Worlds ...Pairs | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds ...Pairs

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
While I work on the singles....

What do you want for... THE PAIRS

Gold: Kavaguti/Smirnov
WHY: If you had told me before Cup of Russia that I would be rooting for them to outright take the world championship, I would’ve smirked and assumed you knew nothing about me. But this LP, in form and function, is a masterpiece so far ahead of what they’ve done before that I can hardly believe it. And the SP isn’t bad. Indeed, what both programs do so well is remove all those extraneous little distractions. Their lifts remain beautiful and difficult, but they don’t twist her every which way on the way down. I’m really stunned actually by just how much I love “Clair de Lune.” Strauss is good in its spare, epic way but peaks too early and doesn’t end well. But the LP. It’s merely a masterpiece now. If they changed that final pose, it’d be perfect. I think a victory here would be great, plus a warning shot against all those that think the Russian Federation is dumping them.
WHAT NEXT: Continue along this vein.

Silver: Savchenko/Szolkowy
WHY: Why did they choose Pink Panther? I have no objections to the lightness of the piece, or the play acting. It’s just that the music itself is ... rather trite. Beyond that, they are skating like a revitalized, new team this season.
WHAT NEXT: Back to elegance, please.

Bronze: Pang/Tong
WHY: Ummm... I don’t want V/T to win bronze just yet? I prefer their programs to V/T’s and they don’t have a world bronze.
WHAT NEXT: I’m not sure, to be quite honest. I don’t see them maintaining their skill until Sochi (and before you say Shen/Zhao, lets remember that S/Z are a whole lot better). But pairs has been moribound for so long.... I'd like to see a favoured stalwart continue.

Fourth: Volosozhar/Trankov
WHY: I’ve taken the time to learn how to spell her last name. Least she could do is deliver a top five placement at worlds before she and Maxim dominate the sport! I think their goals of getting the elements together before the programs makes sense, but I don’t really want to see these two programs get them on podium. So much goodness on offer here, though.
WHAT NEXT:

Fifth: Barazova/Larionov
WHY: Because I really respect how hard they must have worked during their absence and I’m slowly growing fond of this Beauty and the Beast pair. They’re skating to music immortalized twice over, but I won’t hold that against him.
WHAT NEXT: Expression classes for him.

Sixth: Duhamel/Radford
Seventh: Moore-towers/Moscowitch

WHY: Because I want Canada to have three spots for 2012, and I love that Duhamel/Radford go for both lutzes and flips, so I snuck them ahead
WHAT NEXT: Mt/M need to learn more than one air position for lifts. Improve their line (both). Figure out a way to handle the height difference a little better (D/R). Shave (R). Improve skating skills (both)

Eighth: Evora/Ladwig
WHY: Ever since Baldwin was a bit rude about them last year, I’ve cheered for them. Evora has a terrific smile. I enjoy their programs. Do I need more of a reason than that?
WHAT NEXT: More smiling. Work on their unison across the board.

Ninth: Berton/Hotarek
WHY: I sorta like them. Though to be honest, once we get down to this rank, it could be any one of a number of teams
WHAT NEXT: Work on consistency, avoid injury.

Tenth: Takahashi/Tran
WHY: Has Japan ever had a top ten pair at worlds? Their short program is an absolute stunner.
WHAT NEXT: Work on landing those jumps

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Volosozhar/Trankov
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
4. Duhamel/Radford
5. Bazarova/Larionov
6. Takahashi/Tran
7. Pang/Tong
8. Berton/Hotarek
9. Yankowskas/Coughlin
10. Evora/Ladwig
11. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For the win: Kavaguti & Smirnov. I'd love for her sacrifice of her Japanese citizenship and even her Japanese name to yield at least a World Championship. Not to mention that their LP is my favorite of the season!

2. Pang & Tong - They've said they are retiring. While I don't want them to be World Champions again, I want them to leave on a high note.

3. Savchenko & Szolkowy-I hate their Pink Panther LP (heck I didn't like to see this with the girl in a Pink Panther cat suit when the US team of Scott & Duhlebohn used it as an exhibition), but I do applaud their new enthusiasm!
Next? How about a program to the Fame soundtrack.

4. Volosozhar & Trankov - I have always admired the fabulousness that is Volosozhar!!!
Next year? better programs

Now it gets tough. There are 4 good US teams (the 3 at 4CCs & Denney & Barrett) & 4 good Canadian teams (the 3 at 4CCs & Dube & Davison??) that I want to see at Worlds next year? Impossible, I know, but we should be able to do 3 each. How to arrange it? 8&5 and 7&6, that's how, so which of the 4 teams here at Worlds do I want in fifth.

5. Yankowskas & Coughlin-because their LP to Ave Maria as done at US Nationals this year was the most amazing thing I saw in a competition that was filled with amazing performances I'll be reliving in my mind for years. I was not sitting close to the ice-I was in the wheelchair seating at mezzanine level. People were in tears all around me, including Mr. Ski, who puts up mostly with my love of figure skating, but doesn't wholly share it. When they hit everything, it's a program for the ages. I want the Japanese crowd to see it!! And for them to be appropriately rewarded for it.

which means
8. Evora & Ladwig-I like them, I really do, and their programs are good this year, but Y&C, if they skate as at Nationals, were in another league. Truly.

6. So which of the 2 Canadian teams do I prefer? I guess MT/M (I really like D&D and L&S, neither of whom is here, so it's a tricky choice. MT/M had a tough 4CC's, so I'd like them to end on a high note.

7. Which leaves D&R in 7th.

9th. Hausch & Wende. I can't help it, I like them. Which would mean 3 places next year for Germany.

10th Takahashi / Tran; one for the home crowd! And Narum is as cute as a bug.

11th Barazova/Larionov, I can't remember a single thing about their programs

12th Berton/Hotarek

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
This isn't what I think is going to happen, but this is what I want.

1 - Volosozhar/Trankov - Them winning their first time out would just be really interesting. Would that be the first time this happened? I don't recall it ever happening, even with a team who was previously together in Juniors winning at their first Seniors.

2 - Savchenko/Szolkowy - After the disappointment of not winning the Olympics nor the World championships last year, I'd like to see them ahead of Pang/Tong and Kavaguti/Smirnov. As long as Aliona does the spins properly. ;)

3 - Pang/Tong - They might be retiring so I want them to get a medal on the way out.

4 - Kavaguti/Smirnov - I think asking for them to finish any lower than fourth is unrealistic but I'd like them to be behind the other top three teams because they were gifted at Worlds last year IMO, over Mukhortova/Trankov after a bad FS.

5 - Duhamel/Radford - This would also be a really high finish for a new team. I really like them, much better than Meagan and Craig Buntin although they were alright. This placement is a little unlikely, in reality, but could happen if they nail all the technical content, I think.

6 - Moore-Towers/Moscovitch - I really like them too and if 5 and 6 were interchanged I wouldn't have a problem. I just sentimentally want Meagan to have a good finish because she lost out on the Olympic team with Craig last year. With Canadians coming 5 and 6 there's three spots for Canada next year at Worlds, too.

7 - Evora/Ladwig - I think in reality they might place a little lower than this but I prefer them to Yankowskas/Coughlin a little bit.

8 - Hausch/Wende - I really started to like them this year and with Savchenko and Szolkowy in #2 Germany can have three spots next year.

9 - Berton/Hotarek - I really only noticed them at Euros but I like their style.

10 - Yankowskas/Coughlin - They're a good pair but I find them a little boring for some reason. They don't move me like Evora and Ladwig sometimes do.

Yeah, I left Bazarova/Larionov and Takahashi/Tran out of the top 10. They just aren't my cup of tea, especially Takahashi/Tran. I wander away from the television or computer when they come on.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
1- Aliona and Robin. After last season, I want to see them taking back their title. They won everything so far this season, so anything but gold will be disappointing for them
2- Yuko and Sasha: she looks so sad this season, with all the injury and missing the Olys podium, I want them to finish this season on a high note with their best placement at worlds(they never won more than bronze, right?)
3- Tatiana and Max: gorgeous pair, huge potential, but their programs aren't world champions material yet. They need more time together and more complex choreo. But I so want a world medal for both of them,finally. Oh, and their 3Twist deserves a +4 GOE
4- Pang and Tong: really loved them at the Olys but they did not deserve the title last year, so I will root for no more than 4th place here.
5- Vera and Yuri: they started to grow on me. Vera is such a fighter, she went through a lot, she stayed with Yuri and I want to see good results from them. A fifth place here is very likely(I still wish Lubov and Nodari would go to worlds though :( )
6- Duhamel/Radford: loved them at 4CC. Their technical content is simply amazing! They landed a 3F-2T-2T combo, who would ever root against them?
7- Takahashi and Tran: lovely team, but she needs to land those jumps! A good competition in Japan, on their first worlds, will give them confidence.
8- Moore-Towers/Moscovitch: I like their side by side jumps, they look smooth and effortless, and some of their lifts, but they are unpolished.Still, a promising team
9- Berton/Hotarek: I became a fan once I saw their SP at Euros. Oh, I also loved the music they used for their last season's SP.
10- Evora/Ladwig: I want them to have good programs after their problems at 4CC

mousepotato

On the Ice
Seasons best high scores according to the ISU (that will be at worlds)

1. 210.72 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY
2. 203.61 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV
3. 199.84 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim Trankov
4. 199.45 Qing PANG / Jian TONG
5. 188.24 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV
6. 181.79 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
7. 175.48 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH
8. 166.97 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN
9. 165.47 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN
10. 164.83 Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK
11. 162.85 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG
12. 157.42 Maylin HAUSCH / Daniel WENDE

1. Aliona and Robin, I really don’t see them winning anything but gold, it’s theirs to lose and like we saw at Euros, it almost happened. I hate the Pink Panther music, way too many cuts in the music and too much standing around. They are not the most consistent of teams so this is where they may crack.

2-4. Yuko and Sasha, they have one of the best free skates I have seen in quite a while. Elegant yet fast, grace with power. The injuries hurt them this year and they have trained ½ of what the rest of the pairs have so full levels on some elements may not be possible yet. Or they are waiting to do them at Worlds. They have only been together 4+ years and have been to worlds 4 times (9th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd) they missed out on two world silver medals by less than a point and I would like to see them get the silver, their programs are far better than P/T and V/T. Note: Yuko is competition at home, that may help or hurt her.

2-4. Qing and Jian, They have really stepped up towards the end of the season but their scores are still pretty low compared to the rest of the field. Their programs are boring and they haven’t landed a jumping pass all season. They will need to be perfect to get a medal unless another team has a huge meltdown.

2-4. Tanya and Max, their skating really bores me to tears. Yes, she has great posture and the twist is great, but that is about it. They emote way too much, especially him. Small, stupid mistakes could be costly to them since nothing really sets them apart. The music is too heavy for pairs, the choreography is blah, but I do love the costumes. They will have to be ‘Russian Nationals’ good to not be beat by the other teams. They were over scored at nationals so this will be the first test of how they are seen internationally. Hopefully Max won’t fall throwing his partner this year :laugh:

5. Vera and Yuri, they will get 5th unless they have an epic fail. Pretty safe to call this one. I don’t like the way this pair looks, they need maturity their current coach is not providing. They should have moved to Oleg when they had the chance. :sheesh:

6-7 Meagan and Eric, Sorry in advance to the fans but they were waaaaayyyyy overscored at 4CC, they deserved 2nd but not those points. They were scores too high for the 3F combo that was taken off from a bad edge, the landing two throws were meh, and the sbs were off. I don’t think for a second even if they perform well they will get that score at worlds.

6-7 Kirsten and Dylan, they are landing in the ranks about where I would have guessed. Let’s not forget if D/D and K/S had competed at Skate Canada they would not have even got a medal. They are okay but they have serious issues to work on that her ‘perkyness’ can’t cure. Their lifts are really bad both him and her, they look impressive at first but their form is really bad and they don’t change them up enough. They have poor skating skills and scratch the ice so bad it makes head hurt. Totally fixable in the next few years but they need to get going so they can have better PCS and harder choreography.

8-11. Y/C, E/L, T/T and B/H, all of these teams are interchangeable the only difference is who performs better that night. None of them are standouts. Maybe Y/C, I haven’t decided. :think:

12. Maylin and Daniel, sorry, 12th place for you.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Mt/M were D/D's substitutes, so if D/D competed, they wouldn't have even been there.

Yeah, D/R had a bad edge (and it's noticeable even on youtube), but wrong edge take-offs aren't penalized as strictly as before. Can you think of a lip this season that had less than -0.8 GOE that was landed cleanly?

mousepotato

On the Ice
Mt/M were D/D's substitutes, so if D/D competed, they wouldn't have even been there.

That just proved my point even more.

Yeah, D/R had a bad edge (and it's noticeable even on youtube), but wrong edge take-offs aren't penalized as strictly as before. Can you think of a lip this season that had less than -0.8 GOE that was landed cleanly?

No, I haven't looked at all the protocols this season, esp if a competition or skater doesn't interest me. But I think that is something the ISU should be a lot more strict with next season. If you take off from the wrong edge you are not doing the proper jump and it should be penalized as much as if they doubled a triple; otherwise every skater should try and get away with it. It appears some already have.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Good question. Not sure if I know what I want... I want K/S, V/T and S/S on the podium, but not sure about the order. I agree with posters who thinks that V/T need better programs, but I think S/S programs this season are even worse and they are World champions after all, not a team who skate their first season together, so I'm not sure if I want to see them win... K/S have brilliant LP, but technically S/S and V/T are better... So I don't know which team I want to see at the 1st place.
4. Pang/Tong. I don't really like them, but if they are clean I don't mind to see them on podium, I just prefer other teams
5. Bazarova/Larionov. I looove their lines, softness and Vera's posture!

Not sure about the others, but I want Takahashi/Tran to do well there, I like this team a lot

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I want K/S to win. Keep their current LP for next season, and also change their exhibition into a SP and win again. :thumbsup:

mousepotato

On the Ice
I want K/S to win. Keep their current LP for next season, and also change their exhibition into a SP and win again. :thumbsup:

I totally agree, I don't think that LP has enough miles on it since they missed most of the fall season.

Do you mean their Carmen EX? That would be a great SP, he really sells it! :rock:

She needs a better costume and dance lessons but I LOVE IT! :love:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Gold- Kavaguti & Smirnov- since I think they deserve a World title, and this will probably be the last year they have a good shot at it with V/T on the rise in their country.

Silver- Pang & Tong- since I want them to go out in style.

Bronze- Volosozhar & Trankov- since a medal would validate the new partnership.

4th- Savchenko & Szolkowy- since I find their pink panther tacky (all hopes aside they are virtually a lock to win in reality).

5th- Duhamel & Radford- since I like them.

6th and 7th- two U.S pairs- since I want both Canada and U.S to get 3 spots for next season against all odds.

8th- Moore-Towers and Mosckovitch- read above.

9th- Barazova & Larionov- since they are boring and I want a relatively weak showing to open the door for other Russian pairs next season.

10- Takahashi & Tran- since they are cute.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I totally agree, I don't think that LP has enough miles on it since they missed most of the fall season.

Do you mean their Carmen EX? That would be a great SP, he really sells it! :rock:

She needs a better costume and dance lessons but I LOVE IT! :love:

Exactly my thought. They haven't worked out all the kinks in that LP just yet. Moskvina polishes her programs to the last second, so imagine a perfect Claire de Lune in Nice. The French crowd will go absolutely nuts.
Yes, I meant their Carmen EX. Another French piece. I feel those two programs will come together and give them another much deserved world title.

zizi

Rinkside
Pang & Tong - Although they skated well at the Olys but they did not deserve the title last year, besides they've said they are retiring so I will root for no more than 4th place here.
If Barazova/Larionov or Duhamel/Radford or Yankowskas/Coughlin or Moore-Towers/Moscovitch push on the 4th place, I will be very glad too!
Savchenko/Szolkowy, Volosozhar/Trankov and Kavaguti/Smirnov must stand on the podium, please!!!

UnChosen

On the Ice
1. P/T or K/S
-The only two pairs with long programs that are skated like a pairs program.
1. S/S
-Superior tech but the free skate made me think of the complaints about Patrick Chan's component scores. I expect better SS and TR scores compared to P/T and K/S but lower CH and IN scores if all skate clean.
2. V/T
-Just because of Tatiana, her technique is way up there and her performance ability is better than Yuko's IMO.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I would like to see K/S move up from Bronze. Silver or even gold would be great.

1. K/S
2. S/S
3. V/T
4. P/T
5. B/L

ljaeren

Rinkside
1. Kavaguti/Smirnov
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Pang/Tong
4. Volosozhar/Trankov
5. Bazarova/Larionov
I love Pang and Tong and want to see them medal at their so called "last competition." I want them to leave on a high note:)

I would love to see a pas de patinage with the couples relating to each other, but in the majority of cases I see some acrobatic lifts, throws, and meaningless SBSs. OK, that's Pairs, and it is an Acrobatic Sport. No real problem.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
This seems to be the easiest discipline to predict, though I could be wrong. Here is what I'm hoping for and I think it is mostly realistic.

1) Savchenko & Szolkowy 2) Kavaguti & Smirnov 3) Volosozhar & Trankov 4) Pang & Tong 5) Bazarova & Larionov 6) Yankowskas & Coughlin 7) Evora & Ladwig 8) Moore-Towers & Moscovitch 9) Duhamel & Radford 10) Takahashi & Tran

Here is my full preview of the pairs event...

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com/2011/04/2011-world-figure-skating-championships.html

mousepotato

On the Ice
This seems to be the easiest discipline to predict, though I could be wrong. Here is what I'm hoping for and I think it is mostly realistic.

1) Savchenko & Szolkowy 2) Kavaguti & Smirnov 3) Volosozhar & Trankov 4) Pang & Tong 5) Bazarova & Larionov 6) Yankowskas & Coughlin 7) Evora & Ladwig 8) Moore-Towers & Moscovitch 9) Duhamel & Radford 10) Takahashi & Tran

Here is my full preview of the pairs event...

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com/2011/04/2011-world-figure-skating-championships.html

I read your blog, it is very well written.

I do encourage you to watch V/T; they have plenty of videos on YouTube including nationals and Mont Blanc Trophy as well as several other Russian competitions. They may be the newest team so far but they have been together for a year and while I agree they were the strongest in their former partnerships (Tanya and Stas 80/20) but with Maria and Maxim it was more like 48/52 (honestly I preferred watching Maria). They could get lucky and win gold or they could end up in 4th, the top four teams could be so close.

I love B/L however they are not as young as a team as one would think they have been skating together since the spring of 2006 and when they were dq’ed they only had one more competition left that season. So in reality they only missed one full season (6 or 7 junior comps) and they weren’t injured, they still got to practice and get better every day. They were only as high as they were at the GP because of all the injuries, the same can be said for most of the pairs who did well this season. They were on the podium at Euros this year because V/T were missing, they won’t be on the podium next year. Status quo won’t work for these two anymore, they will get surpassed by better teams, both Russian and non-Russian unless they really change something in the future.

I am just :confused: by P/T, could they win gold? Could they get 5th? I'm not placing any bets on those two.