Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you want to see at Worlds ...Pairs

Custom Title
    I would like to see K/S move up from Bronze. Silver or even gold would be great.

1. K/S
    2. S/S
    3. V/T
    4. P/T
    5. B/L

On the Ice
    1. Kavaguti/Smirnov
    2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    3. Pang/Tong
    4. Volosozhar/Trankov
    5. Bazarova/Larionov
    I love Pang and Tong and want to see them medal at their so called "last competition." I want them to leave on a high note

I would love to see a pas de patinage with the couples relating to each other, but in the majority of cases I see some acrobatic lifts, throws, and meaningless SBSs. OK, that's Pairs, and it is an Acrobatic Sport. No real problem.

This seems to be the easiest discipline to predict, though I could be wrong. Here is what I'm hoping for and I think it is mostly realistic.

1) Savchenko & Szolkowy 2) Kavaguti & Smirnov 3) Volosozhar & Trankov 4) Pang & Tong 5) Bazarova & Larionov 6) Yankowskas & Coughlin 7) Evora & Ladwig 8) Moore-Towers & Moscovitch 9) Duhamel & Radford 10) Takahashi & Tran

Here is my full preview of the pairs event...

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com/...pionships.html

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    This seems to be the easiest discipline to predict, though I could be wrong. Here is what I'm hoping for and I think it is mostly realistic.

1) Savchenko & Szolkowy 2) Kavaguti & Smirnov 3) Volosozhar & Trankov 4) Pang & Tong 5) Bazarova & Larionov 6) Yankowskas & Coughlin 7) Evora & Ladwig 8) Moore-Towers & Moscovitch 9) Duhamel & Radford 10) Takahashi & Tran

Here is my full preview of the pairs event...

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com/...pionships.html
    I read your blog, it is very well written.

I do encourage you to watch V/T; they have plenty of videos on YouTube including nationals and Mont Blanc Trophy as well as several other Russian competitions. They may be the newest team so far but they have been together for a year and while I agree they were the strongest in their former partnerships (Tanya and Stas 80/20) but with Maria and Maxim it was more like 48/52 (honestly I preferred watching Maria). They could get lucky and win gold or they could end up in 4th, the top four teams could be so close.

I love B/L however they are not as young as a team as one would think they have been skating together since the spring of 2006 and when they were dq’ed they only had one more competition left that season. So in reality they only missed one full season (6 or 7 junior comps) and they weren’t injured, they still got to practice and get better every day. They were only as high as they were at the GP because of all the injuries, the same can be said for most of the pairs who did well this season. They were on the podium at Euros this year because V/T were missing, they won’t be on the podium next year. Status quo won’t work for these two anymore, they will get surpassed by better teams, both Russian and non-Russian unless they really change something in the future.

I am just by P/T, could they win gold? Could they get 5th? I'm not placing any bets on those two.

Custom Title
    I didn't see pairs from Europeans, nor have I seen Volosozhar/Trankov yet. Based on the Grand Prix season, this is what I'm hoping for.

--Gold for Savchenko/Szolkowy. They really seem revitalized this year and are skating so well. Would love to see them seal their successful comeback season with a win. I've always been a fan of theirs; I think Aliona is one of the best female pairs skaters ever, I like their chemistry on-ice, and I love how they're innovative and always doing something different, while still maintaining high technical standards. The Pink Panther program, although a bit odd, is kind of fun simply because it's different, and I think they perform it well.

--A medal for Pang/Tong. I really like their long program this year. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find it very romantic and well-skated artistically (although technically, they've had some errors).

--A strong Worlds debut for Yankowskas/Coughlin. I like this team, especially Caitlin. She definitely has that star quality, and such beautiful posture and presence. I'd really like to see them skate clean, hit all their elements, and place well. I think top 8 or top 6 is attainable if they skate clean and with intensity. If they place strongly in Moscow, they can then build on that success next year. I like the potential in this team.

--Good performances from Evora/Ladwig. Despite winning silver at Nationals, they really haven't had a great season. They should have done better on the Grand Prix, considering the relatively weak field this season, and 4CC was terrible. There's so much I like about this team, but they need more consistency, and I really feel strongly that they need better choreography and programs. If they want to really compete with the top pairs, they need to get serious about their presentation. Right now they're just coasting in that area. Their programs this year are very average and forgettable, unlike Y/C's, which are more thematic and make a statement. If both the American pairs skated up to their potential, it's not inconceivable they could get that third spot back, but they really have to bring it. I'd like to see E/L perform well, end the season on a good note, then find a new choreographer and get some great programs for next year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2