What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men?

sorcerer

Final Flight
Sorry to keep OT, but MM's average is 2,580 posts a year, which is about 7 posts a day, rain or shine!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love Ryan, but in no universe, even the "What do you want to see" universe, would I suggest Chan is battling Bradley (or vice versa), except in their beard growing project.

mskater93

Record Breaker
A World Champion should be perfect

What is the definition of perfect for a skater, though? There are several ways you can define it:

"Perfect" Scenarios:
1) All 10's for all PCS marks from all judges, all jump passes getting full base value (ie, no "<", no "<<", no "e") and those jumps being those "expected" in that group (so ladies 3+3 and/or 3A and men at least 1 quad+3A in SP and 2 quads and 2 3As in LP), all spins graded at level 4, called step sequence graded at level 4 and all GOEs for jumps, spins, graded and choreographic step sequences getting a +3 GOE from every judge. NOTE: This has NEVER happened
2) PCS marks significantly higher than other skaters because he/she has skated their best and is clearly the class of the field across the board, all jump passes getting full base value and of the expectations of that group, all spins graded at least L3, called step sequence at least level 3 and no negative GOE for any item (all jumps, spins, step sequences 0 or higher)
3) PCS marks significantly higher than other skaters because he/she clearly outskated the field across the board, no visible defects on jumps that are considered "expected" (but maybe a small bobble on a couple landings that a couple judges catch, but full BVs), all spins graded at least L3, called step sequence at least level 3 and only a small smattering of negative GOEs.
4) PCS marks significantly higher than other skaters because he/she clearly outskated the field, no falls or pops, maybe one jump that upon review was deemed 70% but nothing clearly visible with jump content considered "expected", spins graded at least L3, called steps at least 2 and only a small smattering of negative GOEs mostly confined to the "<" jump
5) PCS marks significantly higher than other skaters because he/she clearly outskated the field, no falls or pops, "safe" jump content, spins graded at least L3, called steps at least 2, very small smattering of negative GOEs...

Which definition of perfect are we going with?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Joesitz, please point to a poster that stated that there is something wrong with clean programs. Otherwise that’s a straw man argument.

2. You’re the one that went from predicting Gachinski without facts to supporting Chan as a possible podium contender without stating “I was wrong.” Is that what you’re accusing here : “or do we suck up our wrong opinions and hide them?”

3. To restate my opinion
a. I’m either non-plussed (Dornbush, Miner) or actively don’t care for (Bradley) by the American world team. So how I hope they do is entirely based on the consequences on how they do (both on the podium/rankings and next season)
b. Consequently, I hope the American men are able to get two spots. Why? Three spots means that the people I’m rooting for didn’t skate well (Amodio, Brezina, Chan, Contesti, Fernandez, Joubert, Kozuka, Oda, Schlutheiss, Takahashi). I originally hoped for one spot, but again, that hope was predicated on the notion that dropping from three to one spot would force the federation to re-evaluate/change. However, if no change would come, then I’m not particularly rooting against the trio. Despite my feelings, I think the breadth is too strong to allow for only one entrant at worlds.

1. Joesitz, please point to a poster that stated that there is something wrong with clean programs. Otherwise that’s a straw man argument.

2. You’re the one that went from predicting Gachinski without facts to supporting Chan as a possible podium contender without stating “I was wrong.” Is that what you’re accusing here : “or do we suck up our wrong opinions and hide them?”

3. To restate my opinion
a. I’m either non-plussed (Dornbush, Miner) or actively don’t care for (Bradley) by the American world team. So how I hope they do is entirely based on the consequences on how they do (both on the podium/rankings and next season)
b. Consequently, I hope the American men are able to get two spots. Why? Three spots means that the people I’m rooting for didn’t skate well (Amodio, Brezina, Chan, Contesti, Fernandez, Joubert, Kozuka, Oda, Schlutheiss, Takahashi). I originally hoped for one spot, but again, that hope was predicated on the notion that dropping from three to one spot would force the federation to re-evaluate/change. However, if no change would come, then I’m not particularly rooting against the trio. Despite my feelings, I think the breadth is too strong to allow for only one entrant at worlds.
OH dear. GUILTY am I. but the Worlds haven't happend yet. Has it? If Chan is not on the Podium, I will admit I was wrong. Normally, I do not predict but I do prefer. Preferring good skaters over CoP points, that's my beat.

Dornbush and Miner are Newbies and not expected to be on the podium.
Bradley won the US championship and is ipso facto the odds on favorite to be considered America's best
Amodio's bumps and grinds don't amuse me. I saw them all 40 years ago.
Brezina is one of the few skaters with the flow of the music but he has been away far too long.
I consider Oda the best of the Japanese men, but I would not be surprised if all three compete with Chan for the podium.
Joubert might podium for sentimental reason.

If I am overlapping contestants for the podium, it's because the Field is HOT and if there is no meltdown, predictions can only be made on favorite nationalities.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Amodio's bumps and grinds don't amuse me. I saw them all 40 years ago.

But that kind of dancing was illegal 40 years ago. In fact it was illegal to even think about doing those moves 40 years ago. Never mind in the rarefied sport of figure skating.

genki

On the Ice
I want Dai to skate the perfect program with 4F. I want him to skate his heart out again like he did in nationals last year with unadulterated passion.
Then, I want Dai to beat 3 quad Chan, and let the world know that art wins over even if figure skate is a sports.
I want him to let Judges see how important and precious it is to touch people's heart by this beautiful sports called," figure skating."

That's what I want to see in man's skating this year at worlds.

fscric

On the Ice
Is it too much to ask people to refrain from putting down skaters you don't like when you praise and wish your favourite skaters to do well?

Bradley, Bradley, he's our man!
If he can't do it, Dornbush can!
Dornbush, Dornbush, he's our man!
If he can't do it, Miner can!
Miner, Miner, he's our man!
If he can't do it -- nobody can! :clap: :clap: :clap:

These earthquakes, one recently close to Tokyo, has had to have an affect on Dai, Nobi and Taka. All three are contenders for Gold in their home country, and now that's kind of blown away. So sad.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These earthquakes, one recently close to Tokyo, has had to have an affect on Dai, Nobi and Taka. All three are contenders for Gold in their home country, and now that's kind of blown away. So sad.

I would never write any one of those men off. All 3 are so wonderful and I hope they all can skate the way we know they are capable of! :love:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Tomas scored well in Russia earlier this season and even beat Patrick Chan! Hope this new venue will give him good vibes so he can kick butt and somehow manage to sneak up onto the podium :)

The whole gang of competitors. It's the one comp where there is no LOCK.

However, I do want to watch the American newbies. I hope they make the abridged TV showing. I don't think Universal Sport will go beyond the last group to skate. How many of those 15 top skaters will we see?