What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men? | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Takahiko Kozuka
2. Nobunari Oda
3. Tomas Verner
4. Daisuke Takahashi
5. Patrick Chan
6. Richard Dornbush
7. Ross Miner
8. Shawn Sawyer
9. Michal Brezina
10. Konstantin Menshov
11. Florent Amodio (I really do like you, but I fear you are my sacrificial lamb for this year. :cry:)

3 spots for JPN, USA, CZE, and CAN. 2 spots for RUS. World medals finally for Verner and Oda! Kozuka is my dream champ too! :love::biggrin:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
First of all, what I don't want to see for sure is Patrick Chan winning with 3-4 falls.

I don't really care about placement, but I would love to see my favorite skaters (Joubert, Verner and Takahashi) in top 3. Wouldn't mind to see Chan on podium too, but only if he will land his jumps.
I want Brezina and Dornbush to skate well and get good scores; want to see the Russian in top 10 for 2 spots next year

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
1) Patrick Chan - Canadian man on top!
2) Daisuke Takahashi - with a quad flip.
3) Brian Joubert - with two clean programs.
4) Tomas Verner - I love his Singin' In The Rain SP. I'd like it if he could get a medal too, but then Joubert would have to be bumped and I'd rather Joubert be on the podium than him.
5) Michal Brezina - I'd like to see him overcome his injury and still make the top five.
6) Takahiko Kozuka
7) Nobunari Oda - I have to put the other two Japanese guys in the top 10. Even if they aren't personal favourites, they deserve it.
8) Shawn Sawyer - Two skates of his life again like at Canadians to land this placement.
9) Ryan Bradley - I like him a little less than Shawn but I want him to get in the top 10 too. This might be his last worlds and he'll also prove all the people wrong who said he wouldn't do well.
10) Richard Dornbush - Ditto to the second statement on Bradley, plus, I'm starting to like this guy.

The problem is, there are so many good guys. If the top 10 are the ones listed, what about Contesti, Van der Perren, Schultheiss, Amodio, Miner, Majorov, Gachinski, Menshov?? There's such quality, the top 20 is probably going to be like a top 10 usually would be.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
1) Chan-it's really his to lose this year
2) Takahashi-his 4CC win proves he still has it in him
3) Kozuka
4) Amodio
5) Verner
6) Dornbush
7) Miner
8) Oda
9) Joubert
10) Bradley
11) Van Der Perren
12) Contesti
13) Brezina
14) Sawyer
15) Gachinski

This is clearly a shot in the dark and they are also good that I agree that the top 15 or 20 will be like the top 10 any other season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1. Takahashi to win in Japan, sporting his quad flip, first ever!!
2. Joubert-his quads are back, and I want to see him hit that Hallelujah Chorus!!
3. Verner. Because he is cool, and I really like him. He shows no sign of head-casery.
4. Kozuka. Because ;)
5. Ryan Bradley, having laded his 3 quads and 3 triple axels, and performing so well that the Japanese take him to their hearts, whether his style and humor are what they enjoy or not. Two standing ovations and a rink full of odd stuffed toys.
6. Patrick Chan, who falls 4 times. (Not going to happen, but I don't want him to win in Japan.)
7. Ross Miner-I love his Casablance LP. And I hope to see him wearing a different costume for it ;)
And I want him to prove the nay sayers wrong. (3 spots for USA)
8. Nobunari Oda-best 3A in men's, and I want him to make up for his last year's failure
9. Florent Amodio. I don't like the posing and the crotch grabbing. (Again, I'm sure he'll finish higher) (3 spots for France)
10. Konstantin Menshov (2 spots for Russia)
11. Kevin van der Perren, with great jumps as at Euros.
(I like all the old quad landing guys. )
12. Dornbush
13. Brezina (because Czechs don't have a 3rd great guy, and he's not recovered yet anyway.)

Last edited:

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Very interesting, you see MIner and Dornbush over Oda and Joubert. I guess anything can happen.

This thread is called "what do you want to see at Worlds" so these are the results I'd like to see, not necessarily what I think will happen. Plus we all remember what happened with Oda at last year's worlds, he is by no means consistent.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
This thread is called "what do you want to see at Worlds" so these are the results I'd like to see, not necessarily what I think will happen. Plus we all remember what happened with Oda at last year's worlds, he is by no means consistent.

Which makes it challenging. FOr example, the only way Chan gets sixth is if he has a massive meltdown (on doris' list). Almost seems churlish to root for a massive meltdown.

Ah, I forgot this is a wish thread. OK then:

1-2. Takahashi and Chan to have a royal battle, Chan winning the SP and Dai the FP and title by a nose, with credible judging. And then confetti and cars honking in the streets of Japan and a coronation ceremony for Dai!
3. Joubert because I want to see him go out on a high note. (Surely he'll be going out soon...)
4. Bradley because he's capable of big tricks as well as charm and I want to see them both.
5. Amodio because he's the future.
6. Oda because I've had a soft spot for him ever since the "drunk driving" suspension and want to see him land all those beautiful soft jumps (but don't want him to get overmarked for interpretation).
7. Dornbush, because he already looks like a great competitor and he's right on the heels of Amodio.
8. Verner, because I want him to hold it together this time.
9. Kozuka, because he doesn't do much for me but deserves a top 10 finish.
10. Schultheiss, because he's got a quad and a lot of specialness and I want him to keep skating. Go Adrian!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ah, but I wish to be able to see an interviewer tell Chan that he really needs a Biellmann to win ;) And that won't happen if he is better than 6th. So he needs a lot of falls and every one else to skate great.

OTOH, it is perhaps a bit churlish of me...but he's young and has time. This is about it for Verner, Joubert, Dai & Ryan, so I definitely want them all to go out on their best efforts.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I can just see the next big controversy in Men's skating: Patrick Chan wins the World Championship without a Biellmann! There will be loud demands for overhauling the scoring system.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm Canadian , but I want to see Dai win..He just has everything I love to see in a skater. Tricky feet, lovely jumps,musicality, expresses his music with the whole body,humour, passion , and Bushido-like courage..Go,Dai !
Apart from that I don't know exactly where I'd want everyone else to place, though of course I'd like to see Canada come out of it with 3 spots...
From Patrick, I'd like 2 clean programs. Joubert, who used to make me yawn has converted me to a booster with his new programs and attitude ,and I'd love to see him deliver.
Love to see Verner, Bradley, Sawyer do well...also Kozuka and Oda...

I suppose I just want a darn good competition, and the judges to have a heck of a time.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Ah, I forgot this is a wish thread. OK then:

1-2. Takahashi and Chan to have a royal battle, Chan winning the SP and Dai the FP and title by a nose, with credible judging. And then confetti and cars honking in the streets of Japan and a coronation ceremony for Dai!
3. Joubert because I want to see him go out on a high note. (Surely he'll be going out soon...)
4. Bradley because he's capable of big tricks as well as charm and I want to see them both.
5. Amodio because he's the future.
6. Oda because I've had a soft spot for him ever since the "drunk driving" suspension and want to see him land all those beautiful soft jumps (but don't want him to get overmarked for interpretation).
7. Dornbush, because he already looks like a great competitor and he's right on the heels of Amodio.
8. Verner, because I want him to hold it together this time.
9. Kozuka, because he doesn't do much for me but deserves a top 10 finish.
10. Schultheiss, because he's got a quad and a lot of specialness and I want him to keep skating. Go Adrian!

I'm going to steal this because I totally agree! But I would like a Russian in the top 10 :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
1. Takahashi- since this is probably his last year of amateur skating.

2. Verner- since I like him.

3. Oda- since he is overdue for a medal

4. Chan- since he deserves some bad karma for his farce win at Skate Canada.

5. Kozuka- since I would prefer this be the year of the older Japanese, he can have his turn next year.

6. Amodio- since I want him to be the top French.

7. Dornbush- since he should have won U.S Nationals.

8. Sawyer- since I like him.

9. Bradley- since he can do quads.

10. Joubert- since I want him to retire already.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I can't help thinking after 4 Continents that this would have been a good year for Jeremy Abbott to make a run at a bronze medal. The only men who have beaten him internationally are Takahashi, Chan, Verner, and Hanyu (who won't be at Worlds) so Jeremy would have been a favorite for a top 3 or 4 finish.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Abbott hasnt even met Oda or Joubert so it is not like there is anything that indicates he is above them. Since Oda and Kozuka both made and medalled at the GP final (which Abbott didnt even qualify for) both are clearly above him, despite that Abbott beat Kozuka at 4CCs after Kozuka bombed the short. The only other noteable he beat was Amodio, who still beat him out of a spot in the final too.

I still wish he was at Worlds and had the performances of his life to win the bronze though. It is a shame he wont get that chance.

mot

On the Ice
I am not thinking about the final placement - well, just yet - but I want (in no particular order)...

• Daisuke to dance his socks off in his short, and make me fall in love with his free programme yet again (I have done this many times already this season, but not enough!);
  • Patrick to take my breath away with another perfect performance;
  • Tomas to charm all figure skating fans in Japan and the rest of the world as he did four years ago in Tokyo;
  • Joubert to show us there are lots more left in him (and bring out the best in the free programme which I believe has a lot of potentials yet to be achieved);
  • Michal to regain his strength and awe everyone with his marvellous short programme;
  • Amodio to make the whole of Yoyogi National Stadium want to dance with him;
  • Ryan to entertain everyone and make them smile with his wonderful performance;
  • Takahiko to land his first clean quad and repeat what he did at TEB, which I was delighted to see in front of my eyes - live;
  • Nobu NOT to jump too many combos!
  • All young skaters to show us that they are the future of figure skating;
  • All experienced skaters to go home believing they are not finished yet and determine to continue for another year;
  • All skaters to have clean skate and wonderful time, and enjoy Japanese spring (which I miss!)

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I hope Daisuke lands his quad and wins. But I also hope Patrick Chan does what he did at Canadian nationals because it was so astonishing. And if he does, I think he'll be impossible to beat. Besides, if Patrick skates cleanly it'll save from another tedious debate over whether he is overscored.

I hope Brian Joubert doesn't fall apart again. He's not my all time favorite but there is something about him and I just can't stand seeing him fall apart.

Lord, please, please let Ryan Bradley hold it together. I hope Dornbush and Miner have great debuts.