Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men?

Brian Joubert on the podium, if not on the top step, that is all I want out of these world championships. He is the only skater I am rooting for.

Custom Title
    Root for him to win bronze this year, and then gold next year at home. I think I'm going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Root for him to win bronze this year, and then gold next year at home. I think I'm going to do that.
    I like that even better, though back to back world titles would be even better!!!!!

Custom Title
    Well, in my mind, he already has two bronze (2009, 2010), two silvers (2008, 2004) and one gold. So he should have another gold to go with that (2012). This year should be an outlier so we don't have an incomplete set, but rooting for anyone to come in fourth is like teasing.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    Brian Joubert on the podium, if not on the top step, that is all I want out of these world championships. He is the only skater I am rooting for.
    I wouldn't mind that but I don't think he has a hope of beating Chan unless Chan falls 6 times.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Well, in my mind, he already has two bronze (2009, 2010), two silvers (2008, 2004) and one gold. So he should have another gold to go with that (2012). This year should be an outlier so we don't have an incomplete set, but rooting for anyone to come in fourth is like teasing.
    IP, your math is incorrect. Brian has 6 medals in total, you forgot that he has another silver in 2006.

So he has 1G,3S and 2B. he won't be able to have full sets (3 of each I assume)

Custom Title
    Dammit. Well, Joubert really is ruining my fun with complete sets.

I'd love to see an 'old timer' who never one an Oly to win one. They deserve it for hanging in there. So GO JOUBERT, and Come Back Stephane L., Come Back to the Fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I'd love to see an 'old timer' who never one an Oly to win one. They deserve it for hanging in there. So GO JOUBERT, and Come Back Stephane L., Come Back to the Fold.
    Just out of curiosity, has Stephane officially lost his eligible status yet?

I don't really see how anyone is going to challenge Patrick Chan this time around.

Ice is slippery, anything can happen, etc. But Chan will do three quads. Who else will? Ryan Bradley? Kevin Reynolds? Chan will do all level four everythings. He will get 9.0 in Skating Skills and 8.5 in Tranitions. (The only reason he won't get 9.0 in Transitions is that Transitions always run a half-point below Skating Skills.) No-one will out-point him on P/E, CH and INT --at least not enough to make up for the tech.

Takahashi is the only one who can match Chan in Program Components, and Takahashi will probably not land a quad.

(JMO of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't really see how anyone is going to challenge Patrick Chan this time around.

Ice is slippery, anything can happen, etc. But Chan will do three quads. Who else will? Ryan Bradley? Kevin Reynolds? Chan will do all level four everythings. He will get 9.0 in Skating Skills and 8.5 in Tranitions. (The only reason he won't get 9.0 in Transitions is that Transitions always run a half-point below Skating Skills.) No-one will out-point him on P/E, CH and INT --at least not enough to make up for the tech.

Takahashi is the only one who can match Chan in Program Components, and Takahashi will probably not land a quad.

(JMO of course.)
    Interesting thoughts, MM. Patrick and Dai are expected to fight it out in this Championship with 2 other Japanese skaters to join them as well as Joubert. But there are so many male skaters worth watching to make it the most collossal competition ever. Top 10? I think Top 20!

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has Stephane officially lost his eligible status yet?
    I can't imagine him regaining his eligibility. His Federation does not have the pull as those in the Big Six.

Custom Title
    Verner on the podium! It's ok if it's bronze, but at least the way he's been skating this season, I feel like him coming in 3rd at Worlds is within the realm of possibility. All three Japanese men can be hot and cold and IMO he's as good if not better than Joubert, and at Euros the scores those two put up were nearly identical anyway so who knows.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

(JMO of course.)
    Whatever and however Patrick Chan does in all his competitions, past and future, the only one that matters in many people's minds will always be his Skate Canada 2010 win. Even if he wins in Sochi, SC 2010 will still be brought up in every thread in every skating forum to demonstrate his unworthiness and as demons of CoP. Except it won't be named or specified but will be discussed as generic representative of all his wins, minor and major. Just like it is now.

Seriously, Chan has one huge advantage in SP over everyone else. He does footwork into his 4T and 3F so he can tack the 3T onto either one of these jumps depending on how well he does his first jump, the 4T. Others with quads in their SP, like Joubert, Oda, and Reynolds, have to make their quads the combo jumps without footwork entries, so it will be hit or miss for them. Of course, Chan does not even need to do a 4/3; that's just for show off.

Verner has said he is going to do his quad at Worlds. He's been quite happy and doing well this season. Not sure how the delay affects him.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 04-20-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I wouldn't mind that but I don't think he has a hope of beating Chan unless Chan falls 6 times.
    Yeah that is about what it would take for Joubert to beat Chan. For one of the Japanese too it might be only 3 or 4 falls, if one of the Japanese can actually skate cleanly with quads.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Yeah that is about what it would take for Joubert to beat Chan. For one of the Japanese too it might be only 3 or 4 falls, if one of the Japanese can actually skate cleanly with quads.
    Quadless Verner beat Chan with 4 falls at Cup of Russia, and I know that was just because Chan Zayaked, but still, I think 6 falls is a little extreme, considering Verner and Joubert are pretty equal and Joubert AFAIK will be attempting a quad in both the SP and FS at Worlds. 3 falls from Chan would likely be enough for a clean Joubert to beat him. It might only take 1 or 2 falls from Chan for a clean/almost clean Takahashi or Kozuka to win, I mean, Takahashi is the reigning world champ and has been building momentum all season and Kozuka scored over 170 for his LP at TEB.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast