Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I've seen Oda do a very nice quad somewhere, and I think most of the boys will be attempting Quads.

The biggest upset at Mens Division will be if Bradley nabs a 5th place; and Dornbush nabs an 8th place. That would be the American Dream.
    In the FS yes, but not in the SP. Kozuka and Takahashi won't go for the quad in the SP, neither will Brezina, Amodio, etc. Chan, Joubert, Gatchinski, Bradley are the only ones I know of that plan to go for the quad in the SP, maybe KVDP too but it seems like he changes up his jump layouts a lot. What I'm saying is if Oda and Verner can skate clean with 4-3 in the SP, there is a good chance they will score higher than a clean Kozuka SP and about the same as a clean Takahashi SP considering the latter two will not be attempting quads in the SP. Realistically they could probably both score higher than clean Joubert too just where Joubert's SP is not so great and he's had issues with it all season.

Custom Title
    I agree with silverlake. Quad is a huge portion of SP scores if landed and will likely determine the LP order of skate. In the LP and total scores, they may be somewhat mitigated by all other elements and components. Thus, the underdogs with Quads in SP are wildcards and potential spoilers.

over all, I estimate the placements by going with the PCS, then adjust by TES depending mostly on jump successes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    over all, I estimate the placements by going with the PCS, then adjust by TES depending mostly on jump successes.
    Me too, and where Oda and Verner both have good SPs, if they land quads in them, then their PCS, which are usually good but not sky high, could go up even more because the programs would have more impact if skated clean with a quad combo (like how Oda finished ahead of Chan in the GPF SP after his electric performance). So this does shake things up a bit. The LP is still a big hurdle obviously, but for a skater like Oda or Verner, skating in the ultimate vs penultimate group could have a substantial effect on their PCS, which tend to vary and could be anywhere from low 70s to low 80s for the LP, depending.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Apparently, both Oda and Verner are attempting quads in the SP. This should shake things up a bit if they pull them off.
    Could you please elaborate on this "apparently" ?? Where is this coming from?

Custom Title
    Verner has announced his quad, a combo by necessity, in the SP. Unisport already reported a beautiful one at practice yesterday. Oda landed the best quad combo of the season in his SP and has been doing it in practice in Moscow.

Custom Title
    ^^ yes exactly. Although I guess Tomas could be doing 4t out of steps and then 3lz-3t, but a practice report said he landed a gorgeous 4t-3t combo so I would assume that's the combo he's attempting in the SP.

Custom Title
    Verner and Oda going for 4-3 in SP? Great! What about Reynolds and Joubert? Of Bradley?
    I expect some favorites doing great but some upsets would be nice too!!!!
    Last edited by sunny0760; 04-26-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    Upset is upset. How can it be nice? I hope there won't be upset.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Upset is upset. How can it be nice? I hope there won't be upset.
    There are people who root for underdogs. I am one of those, when I have a neutral approach and have no athlete I am rooting for. Just because upsets are adding to the excitement of the athletic event. if it is always a status quo, it gets predictible, therefore boring.

Custom Title
    Verner and Oda going for 4-3 in SP? Great! What about Reynolds and Joubert? Of Bradley?
    Jouber and Bradley yes. Reynolds, no quad... he said he injured his hip or something in the CBC news articles and likely go safe.

Custom Title
    I assume Reynolds, Joubert, and Bradley will all go for the quad in the SP as they have all season. Kevin may be better off just sticking to one quad though, IMO, 4s-3t and then a 3lz, or if his 4t is more solid than his 3a, then do 4s-3t, 2a, 4t.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Oda landed the best quad combo of the season in his SP and has been doing it in practice in Moscow.
    Yes, it was absolutely GORGEOUS. I still can't believe a guy with his kind of talent can bomb like he did last Worlds. I totally forgot about his major meltdown until I saw Taka in the QR.

Custom Title
    I've heard that Joubert told the media that he is not feeling well/not in good condition. I'm nervous for him.

Tripping on the Podium
    Yes, he said he is exhausted because of long season and he feels pain in legs and hip. But I'm sure he will do his best. I wish him to be full of energy tomorrow.

Custom Title
    I really hope that Chan can win this thing. If he skates as well as he did at the final, which wasn't perfect, but was pretty good, I think he'll have a real shot at it. If he skates the way that he did at Nationals, I don't think that anyone can touch him. A clean Chan with 2 quads and a 3 axel in the long would be really hard to beat. I think if its not him, it'll be Takahashi. I think eitheir of the two would be deserving champions. No one else has seemed to come up to their level this season.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast